Poll: Best punk guitar player?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best punk guitar player?
Mr Brett (Bad Religion)
12 7%
Dexter Holland (offspring)
15 8%
Eric Melvin (NOFX)
13 7%
Fletcher Dragge (Pennywise)
8 4%
Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)
18 10%
Jhonny Ramone (Ramones)
14 8%
Jhonny Thunders (NY Dolls)
7 4%
Joe Strummer (The Clash)
23 13%
Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day)
17 9%
Other
57 31%
Voters: 184.
Page 1 of 7
Joe Strummer

/thread
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
man i think Mr. Brett because he can make pretty cool riffs with power chords, plus he makes good rapid short solos like in punk rock song, pretty cool intros like american jesus
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Dexter Holland?

The guy can play pretty fast (y)

Speed is not all, remember. I think Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols, I'm not too fond of the band but I think he does some of the best solos in punk (yes, I know there aren't many).
Quote by actaderock
man i think Mr. Brett because he can make pretty cool riffs with power chords, plus he makes good rapid short solos like in punk rock song, pretty cool intros like american jesus

Yeah I agree Mr.Brett is a pretty decent guitarist. I heard some of his solos and they are really cool.

Unlike Metal, Punk Rock doesn't require 5 minute long solos
I am The Great Cornholio !
I need T.P. for my bunghole !
jhonny Ramone was one of those guitarists that was really good, but didnt demonstrate it because it was punk, people say he was bad, but buzz saw thechinque is INTENTIONAL, to make it sound more Punk, actually Jhony Ramone became the greatest guitarist of the time.
Quote by Mistaa Man
Yeah I agree Mr.Brett is a pretty decent guitarist. I heard some of his solos and they are really cool.

Unlike Metal, Punk Rock doesn't require 5 minute long solos

Thats why i hate Iron Maiden man
Robert W. Quine of The Voidoids.

edit: that list is severely horrible.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
The guys from Bad Brains
They were black too, so bonus points for that
ohai little sig.
For one, its "JOHNNY"
also, this list is quite bad. i'm saying tom verlaine and richard lloyd of television.
one or both of those guys know what they're doing.
I'd say for relative technical ability and influence, Steve Jones gets my vote.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
D. Boon

The list sucks for the most part.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Robert W. Quine of The Voidoids.

edit: that list is severely horrible.

Yes. Good post.
List: bad post.
DOWN&OUT
have in mind that speed and tecnique isnt all, making cretive riffs (even with power chords) also coutns, that is why people is voting for steve jones
Quote by actaderock
have in mind that speed and tecnique isnt all, making cretive riffs (even with power chords) also coutns, that is why people is voting for steve jones

Glen Matlock wrote most of the riffs on Never Mind the Bollocks.
DOWN&OUT
Where's the Justin Sane choice? I'm sorry but he's the best guitar player haha to much of your misery that is what I believe. Infact I will also vote for Greg Ginn because he is also pretty furkin good.

Edit: The list is pretty bad. Billie Joe Armstrong? Are you high on dope?
Last edited by Adam_Harrison9 at Jun 25, 2008,
If you ask me, Billie Joe Armstrong is a hell of a lot better than Justin Sane. I don't care about Anti-Flag either way, but Justin Sane's not really a stand out guitarist. He just writes catchy songs. I do think #2 is a pretty good bassist though.
DOWN&OUT
Ron Asheton isn't a very consistent player. He was pretty boring and dismal on "the stooges" before being quite good in "Fun House". Then he really reached his zenith and kicked ass in D.A.M, then went into decline once he started playing blues scale wankery after that.

Joe Strummer pretty much sucked at guitar. All he did was play chords using really heavy strings. Mick Jones wrote 99% of the music, and came up with a fantastic technique for writing solos.

Steve Jones took Matlock's "wanky" beatles, abba and don partridge inspired riffs and progressions and turned them into the kind of thing Pete Townsend would play. And that formed the basis for the core of the songs on nevermind the bollocks.

Robert Quine is damn good.

As for Mr Brett (presumably Brett Gurewitz (sp?)), does anyone recall a certain issue of NNTS?

Sylvain Sylvain deserves an honourable mention, he was way better than Thunders.
Is this list some kind of joke?
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Quote by Jett Diamond
If you ask me, Billie Joe Armstrong is a hell of a lot better than Justin Sane. I don't care about Anti-Flag either way, but Justin Sane's not really a stand out guitarist. He just writes catchy songs. I do think #2 is a pretty good bassist though.

Mah Justin Sane has a lot of really great solos. I think he's a bit underrated in the guitar department.
Why do you spell Johnny like that?

Anyway, Robert Quine and Tom Verlaine are the best.

Quote by actaderock

As far as creative riffs go, there are many people superior to the Sex Pistols' riffery.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Jun 25, 2008,
I chose other. Bad list. But if I had to choose from these, I'd choose Johnny Thunders.

Why has Joe Strummer gotten so many votes? He never played lead. Johnny Ramone barely ever played lead, but at least his simplistic style was unique.
The list sucks for the most part.

Actually, the list completely sucks.

And also: congratulations for not being able to spell Johnny.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Funhouse and DAM era Ron Asheton is teh sex to mah ears.

I like Wayne Kramer's style.

If I go bald I'm gonna dress exactly like Bob Quine.

Deniz Tek hasn't been mentioned yet either.
East Bay Ray
Greg Ginn
Johnny Thunders
Johnny Ramone
Cheetah Chrome
Steve Jones

pretty much the guitarists who really perfected Punk Rock
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by Demonikk
The guys from Bad Brains
They were black too, so bonus points for that

They were also homophobic dicks

Anyway, that list sucks and threads like this never go well anyway.
imo, in punk genre, best has to be the wilhelm scream and strung out guitarists.
but im going to go with eric melvin on this one because nofx just has awesome licks and riffs
That kilt wearing bloke from The Rezillos...mainly because he wears a kilt...and because I can't think of anyone who hasn't been mentioned
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!