Hi,

Me and my band always have trouble finding places to record and are always broke, and I've just got a fair amount of money. So we're gonna start to record ourselves. We're a four piece band which include, Vocalist, Guitar, Bass an Drums. What should we get which would be suitable for us. We dont't want anything High in price (British Pounds) but something that sounds professional. I've got this so far.

Behringer ULTRA-DI PRO DI800 --------> Behringer XENYX 1222FX ------> Dell XPS M1530 (with upgrades, new hard drive etc.) ------------> Adobe Audition/Cubase (i have both).

So what you think of that? =P
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

Im Not A Guitar Noob Anymore!

Saving for new Bass and that!
do you have a USB or firewire interface?
if you want true multitrack recording go with a firewire mixer, if not just get a high quality USB interface.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
do you have a USB or firewire interface?
if you want true multitrack recording go with a firewire mixer, if not just get a high quality USB interface.

its a USB mixer what im planning on getting at the moment
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

Are you wanting to record all the inputs at once, or are you open to multi tracking one or two at a time ?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Are you wanting to record all the inputs at once, or are you open to multi tracking one or two at a time ?

one at a time. so obviously, drums, then bass, then rhythm guitar, then lead guitar, then vocals, then back up vocals (if needed).
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

Well then I'd suggest that an interface would be preferable over a USB mixer. Ideally, you'd want one with lots of inputs, for the drums, but on a low budget you probably wouldn't be able to afford all the mics for that anyway. I'd suggest just using a two input interface such as the Mackie Onyx Satellite.

Exactly what budget are you working with, and what equipment do you already have? Any mics, or do you need to factor those into the budget as well ?
Quote by fridge_raider
Well then I'd suggest that an interface would be preferable over a USB mixer. Ideally, you'd want one with lots of inputs, for the drums, but on a low budget you probably wouldn't be able to afford all the mics for that anyway. I'd suggest just using a two input interface such as the Mackie Onyx Satellite.

Exactly what budget are you working with, and what equipment do you already have? Any mics, or do you need to factor those into the budget as well ?

we have mics, software and getting the laptop. not sure how much money i'll have cos im buying my new bass aswell.
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

This is what i used to do with my old setup:

Record all the tracks onto a Multi Track recorder
Copy over the files onto a computer
Edit the tracks on Logic

This way, you wouldn't have to lug a computer and screen around all over the place, there wouldn't be any noise from the computer on the recordings, and you wouldn't get any latency issues.

We also found the quality to be improved greatly, as there weren't any USB interfaces in the way (Which i find take a lot of quality away).
USB won't hurt your quality. It's all in the preamps and A/D converters.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
^^ Your quite right, it does. But a lot of the slightly older, high end models are more then adequate in terms of quality. And more often than not, for the same price as the newer ones.

Death Speak - I thought USB converters suck the tone out of the recordings? Doesn't the whole process of Analogue to Digital really kind of ruin the sound a bit?

But i guess you would have to use it at some point anyway, so yeah i don't know what I'm on about really
Last edited by Rum Monkey at Jun 26, 2008,
A lot of people claim that analogue to digital conversion sucks out the tone, but I challenge those people to notice the difference when it's done properly.

Anyway, as you said, either way, the sound will end up digital.
USB just transports 1's and 0's. At that point in the process the audio is digitized, so there's no tone suckage. Your "tone" gets affected by crappy mics, preamps, a/d converters, and sub par technique.
Made up statistic
And those mentioned 'crappy preams and converters' are usually a integrated part of low budget USB interfaces, so yes, to some extent, USB interfaces sound worse than higher end Firewire options.

That said, I wouldn't opt for Firewire because of improved sound quality, it's only barely noticable to novices, but I'd opt for the extensive multi-track I/O matrix Firewire can support.
You are correct, but subpar elements like that are integrated into lots of low end equipment, not just cheap usb interfaces.

I'm just pointing out that USB does not affect your tone, as there seems to be common misconception about that on these boards.
Made up statistic