What's up guys, I'm Guilherme, and I'm Brazilian, as you can see, I'm one of his biggest fans, because of that, I always loved Telecasters and Les Pauls, but I have 2 other idols, Hendrix and Paul Gilbert, and that is my dilemma, cause I always loved LPs and Telecasters, can I get a PG and Hendrix sound from them ? If not, could you recommend me a "super versatile" guitar ? I need the answer till tomorrow night ... ( I'm going to NY and my budget is $1500~1700 )
LPs =/= Tele.

They are apples and oranges my friend.

So you want a PG and Hendrix sound from them? You're probably going to want singles for the Hendrix and a humbucker for the PG.

I'd say Fat Strat. Tele ain't gonna do it for sure.
Quote by TheProducer
LPs =/= Tele.

They are apples and oranges my friend.

So you want a PG and Hendrix sound from them? You're probably going to want singles for the Hendrix and a humbucker for the PG.

I'd say Fat Strat. Tele ain't gonna do it for sure.

With the right amp, most guitars in that price range could get that tone. Guitars don't matter near as much as the amp. What amp do you have TS?
Okay guys, thanks, it's not essential to get Hendrix & PG tone ( I play their music often ), the most important sound to get from the guitar I want to buy is the Jimmy Page tone, but if I could get the other two tones, it would be really nice, I actually play Stairway to Heaven like 4 times a day xP

EDIT: I still don't have a good amp, but I'm saving money ( and being helped by my father ), i'll be able to get a good amp till christmas, the amp isn't a problem, in this travel I'm focused in the guitar
Last edited by GuiPage at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by voteforpedro36
With the right amp, most guitars in that price range could get that tone. Guitars don't matter near as much as the amp. What amp do you have TS?

True, but there's little sense in going out and buying a new guitar that's not suited for the style he wants to play. If he already had it I'd say make it work, but I wouldn't buy one new.
Quote by GuiPage
What's up guys, I'm Guilherme, and I'm Brazilian, as you can see, I'm one of his biggest fans

IT MAKE NO SENSE
I just put a humbucker (similar to a P90) in my Tele neck position. Sounds nothing like the signature Tele tone anymore, but more along the lines of a Santana/Page tone. I also switched out the bridge pickup, but that was b/c I was looking for more versatility when heavily distorted. Although in your case, you could throw in a noiseless vintage pickup in your bridge and still achieve that classic Tele tone.

Basically, it's easier to add to a Tele than to a Les Paul. The Paul already is so specific in tonal fields and pickup configuration, that adding anything outside it's respective area, makes it totally lose it's classic sound... although that's just my two cents.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Quote by Johl
I just put a humbucker (similar to a P90) in my Tele neck position. Sounds nothing like the signature Tele tone anymore, but more along the lines of a Santana/Page tone. I also switched out the bridge pickup, but that was b/c I was looking for more versatility when heavily distorted. Although in your case, you could throw in a noiseless vintage pickup in your bridge and still achieve that classic Tele tone.

Basically, it's easier to add to a Tele than to a Les Paul. The Paul already is so specific in tonal fields and pickup configuration, that adding anything outside it's respective area, makes it totally lose it's classic sound... although that's just my two cents.

I agree. Modding a Tele may be a good choice if you like the looks of them.

I know I do.

/drool.
jimmy page tone yeah
could be danelectro les paul tele and strat
and sg
and about al the other guitars available then
Hahaha xD, thanks for the help guys, but how can I put a humbucker on a Tele's neck position ? Do I need to cut the wood ? I just can't choose between those two guitars ...

LES PAUL -> Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Immigrant Song, etc

TELECASTER -> Hot Dog, All My Love, Tean Years Gone ( not sure ), Stairway to Heaven Solo ( the reason why I started playing guitar )

I JUST CAN'T DECIDE >_>
well
the les paul would be the most versetaile if you install a coiltap
but the tele would gain versetality with some hotrails

just play both and go on feel
You could always put some stacked single coils in it