Anyway have any tips on songwriting for making clean death metal passages (or any metal for that matter)? Stuff like:

Death- Voice Of The Soul
Morbid Angel- Desolate Ways
Gorguts- Waste Of Mortality (the intro)
Metallica- Fade To Black
Black Sabbath- Planet Caravan

What are some good chords to use besides the usual simple minor chords? Some weird jazzy chords or something. And what are some tips? Thxs all!
There's no such thing as a clean death metal passage.

There are no specific chords you should use.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Okay listen, metallica is not Death metal, no matter how you put it. Metallica is nowhere evenclose to death metal. Metallica is muuch better for one,

And niether is Black Sabbath, especially Planet Caravan.
Quote by bobslip
I take it you've never listened to Opeth then?

+1

just listen to Opeth. it will explain all
Try Extended/Augmanted/Diminshhed chords, but use them as Appegios rather than chords, just to structure the song more so and add depth, we like to use a slight bit of delay and less tone to create an ambience!
Give it a go!
Quote by Cryostorm
Try Extended/Augmanted/Diminshhed chords, but use them as Appegios rather than chords, just to structure the song more so and add depth, we like to use a slight bit of delay and less tone to create an ambience!
Give it a go!

lol ty for actually answering my question
Must. Memorize. Formula. And. Use. It. Over. And. Over. Again.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
i would suggest what one user said DELAY + REVERB and if you notice in clean metal they're are tons of ambient sounds i suggest getting a field record and recording stuff like ambience
Quote by kirkhammett09
lol ty for actually answering my question

No probs man! enjoy messing around with it!

Depending on what key your in, obviously use harmony chords, 3/5 or 5/7...if u use seven chords(which is your diminshed) then u get this real dark feel! Can go wrong sometimes tho hehe!
Write whatever YOU think sounds best and fits into the song, nothing else is needed.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Write whatever YOU think sounds best and fits into the song, nothing else is needed.

Exactly.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by westvipor
Okay listen, metallica is not Death metal, no matter how you put it. Metallica is nowhere evenclose to death metal. Metallica is muuch better for one,

And niether is Black Sabbath, especially Planet Caravan.

Big big
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Big big

+1, I like Metallica, but I wouldn't say they are better than death metal.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
Last edited by cliffemall123 at Jun 25, 2008,
scales like the byzantine scale are also very creepy
the spanish scale is another good one, like in the intro to Land Where Sympathy is Air by Lykathea Aflame
Quote by westvipor
Metallica is muuch better for one,

No. I think you'll find after a half year or so you'll grow out of Metallica and move onto much more interesting metal music.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS