Hi

I need arguments on how it's to NOT EASY creating an MMORPG. My friend has an idea in his head that it's easy

Give me some technical points for him please

Edit: Okay he thinks it's do able by 3 15 year olds with some crappy software package :P
Easy? Baaahahahahahahaha
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
You have to create a server that can run a decently complex game for thousands of people at the same time...
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
u gotta sort out everyones profile, and the data for the whole game and other stuff like that
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by DarkTom666
Just tell your friend he's a total dumbass.

I have numerous times He is the kind of person who once has an idea in his mind will stick t it until the great idea fails miserably
Server maintainance
Prevent Hackers

Ect...

Just general stuff like that is hard enough once you've actually got the game up and running.
He thinks because he has found a software package that creates the game " we " can do it
Making MMORPG's is simple, especially with these new fangled computers and 3 15 yearolds, back in the old days we had to make do with some twigs and half a mouldy herring
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Character designs
Storyline creation
Quest creation
The making of large breasts on all female PC and NPCs
Environments
Combat system
Economy

If he can do all those well and build them into a program... he's still a long way off.
I know it wasn't a MMORPG, but the Limbo of the Lost developers would beg to differ
Well it's basically an idea for a "summer project" which will make us some money LOL

So yeah do you UG'ers have an ideas to make money in a span of 6 weeks

Also we are 15
Well it's basically an idea for a "summer project" which will make us some money LOL

So yeah do you UG'ers have an ideas to make money in a span of 6 weeks

Also we are 15 :P:

Job
Busking
Prostituion
Mugging people
etc...
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by jp607
He thinks because he has found a software package that creates the game " we " can do it

What software package is he talking about?
Get a job
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
If he says it's easy, get him to sit down at a computer and tell him to make an MMORPG. Stand behind him, saying "Come on, we haven't got all day!" every now and then.

Then sell whatever he produces using the art of scam.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Character designs
Storyline creation
Quest creation
The making of large breasts on all female PC and NPCs
Environments
Combat system
Economy

If he can do all those well and build them into a program... he's still a long way off.

This.

And:
Balancing
Stable server systems with backup (preferably with some form of RAID system. RAID 0+1 or 5 seems to be the ones most fitting IMO)
As bug and exploit free as possible
Active support crew
Dynamic server and client patching to reduce downtime

To say it in a different way:
If your friend thinks that creating an MMO is easy then he has no idea of what he is talking about, and based on what else you have said about him I must say it seems like he's a sociopathic wikipedia educated moron, with no regard for reliable sources and should really reconsider his statements if he is going to work in a modern society. Stating something like that likely means that he has no knowledge of what makes up an MMO.
I rarely play MMO's my self, and I know that there are a lot of MMO's that seems like duplicates, but even so it goes a lot of work in to creating and maintaining them.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Last edited by Sheepdragon at Jun 25, 2008,
you also have to design hundreds of enemies, environments, make them all polished, write dialogs for NPCs. there are lots of things to consider.

EDIT:
Quote by jp607
It's called Realm Crafter

http://www.realmcrafter.com/store/home.php

Quick every go make the next WoW

they have that! why are you holding them back, they could be done in hors!
Quote by Sheepdragon
This.

And:
Balancing
Stable server systems with backup (preferably with some form of RAID system. RAID 0+1 or 5 seems to be the ones most fitting IMO)
As bug and exploit free as possible
Active support crew
Dynamic server and client patching to reduce downtime

To say it in a different way:
If your friend thinks that creating an MMO is easy then he has no idea of what he is talking about, and based on what else you have said about him I must say it seems like he's a sociopathic wikipedia educated moron, with no regard for reliable sources and should really reconsider his statements if he is going to work in a modern society. Stating something like that likely means that he has no knowledge of what makes up an MMO.
I rarely play MMO's my self, and I know that there are a lot of MMO's that seems like duplicates, but even so it goes a lot of work in to creating and maintaining them.

I exaggerated on the EASY he didn't say EASY but just the tone he was using made him seem that is was do able in like 6 weeks
Quote by jp607
It's called Realm Crafter

http://www.realmcrafter.com/store/home.php

Quick every go make the next WoW

To use this you have to be proficient in C++, know how to create and edit textures and meshes for 3D models, know how to work a server, etc.

Also, as you mentioned you and your friend is 15 year old, so unless you are super geeks with a lot of funds and time on your hands I doubt the you can create an MMO. Regardless of that kit.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Last edited by Sheepdragon at Jun 25, 2008,
Yeah, it's easy, you just need about 50 professional men/women and a lot of money.
Quote by jp607
So how do some 15 year olds make money now a days ?

generally not in software/game design.
Quote by bendystraw
generally not in software/game design.

i know that

Ideas please ?
I've been apart of 3 crappy online MMORPGs.... it is pretty easy...
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Communication between the clients and the serverand its database. Hard stuff.