Page 1 of 2
I mean i see newbs making threads like this:
Okay 300 dollar budget want a good amp, the usaully say something like a marshall mg or a line 6 pos
Then comes the escalation
I've seen people say ss are crap get tube so they offer suggestions like

peavy valveking
black heart amps
epi valve junior

then more people come into the thread and then they say well if your gonna spend atleast 400-600 on those tube amps why not just get one thats good for your genre (well just use metal)

at this stage ive seen people go from valvekings to b52 amps some of these just come with a head only you need a cab, there's also the combo.

In one thread some guy said since you're gonna spend 600-700 on a b52 why not just get a ****ING JCM900 WTF?!?!

WTF is up with this trend why don't people just offer suggestions in someone's price range?!?
1 - A lot of time people are suggesting you buy used which is obviously much cheaper.

2 - Generally when people suggest a slightly more expensive amp they believe that the extra expenditure is justified by the tone and reliability you get from the amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Hcmanu
ug

WTF is the point of saying that wtf is that even supposed to mean? yes i konw ug stands for ultimate guitar...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - A lot of time people are suggesting you buy used which is obviously much cheaper.

2 - Generally when people suggest a slightly more expensive amp they believe that the extra expenditure is justified by the tone and reliability you get from the amp.

+1
Wha.....?

No.

Most people would suggest a Vox VT or a Cube.

Why do you think I have one?
Quote by amd123
oh i forgot about those, see thats what i mean...too many suggestions

Huh?

How can you have too many suggestions when buying something? Isn't that a good thing?
Quote by timi_hendrix
There are a lot of idiots running around in these forums.

I'm assuming you're not answering HIS question? :P
Honestly, I for one know what it's like to buy a POS and regret it within weeks. That could be just me. I would like to know though, who on Earth is telling these people that MG's and Spiders sound awesome?!?

I do wonder though, about why people suggest amps outside (far out) of the TS' budget, even if it means better tone/options. I'm thinking it's just that we all support the amps we like.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
I think the simple point he's trying to make is that, people are looking for a suggestion within a price range, and no one likes to give advice within that price range.

Agreed.
BUT.

<b>UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com</b>

/thread
Quote by timi_hendrix

like me

>.>

<.<

Quote by leondb
Honestly, I for one know what it's like to buy a POS and regret it within weeks. That could be just me. I would like to know though, who on Earth is telling these people that MG's and Spiders sound awesome?!?

I do wonder though, about why people suggest amps outside (far out) of the TS' budget, even if it means better tone/options. I'm thinking it's just that we all support the amps we like.

I thought that's what he meant at first too. He meant that the TS's usually want one of those then they get suggested more $$$ amps.
Quote by timi_hendrix

Argh they must have chewed through the fence again
*cocks shotgun*
ohai little sig.
Dont throw a pissy TS

I think people might suggest amps that are a little out of a TS's price range because if you're really serious about blowing $700 of your hard earned money on an amp, $100 difference should not make a big difference if the quality is better
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by identityxcrysis
I think the simple point he's trying to make is that, people are looking for a suggestion within a price range, and no one likes to give advice within that price range.

Agreed.
BUT.

/thread

Yeah, but why is he trying to make this point?

Sometimes there is a much better amp just out of the price range, or as it often happens, they don't give a price range.
Quote by amd123
Okay 300 dollar budget want a good amp, the usaully say something like a marshall mg or a line 6 pos

peavy valveking
black heart amps
epi valve junior

then more people come into the thread and then they say well if your gonna spend atleast 400-600 on those tube amps why not just get one thats good for your genre (well just use metal)

at this stage ive seen people go from valvekings to b52 amps some of these just come with a head only you need a cab, there's also the combo.

In one thread some guy said since you're gonna spend 600-700 on a b52 why not just get a ****ING JCM900 WTF?!?!

WTF is up with this trend why don't people just offer suggestions in someone's price range?!?

And you came to this conclusion after being a month on these forums, jeez...
Quote by TheProducer

because some people have nothing better to do than make pointless threads where can b*tch and whine about irrelevent things
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
well, I usually give suggestions in the price range of the TS...
Huh?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shredhead22
Dont throw a pissy TS

I think people might suggest amps that are a little out of a TS's price range because if you're really serious about blowing $700 of your hard earned money on an amp, $100 difference should not make a big difference if the quality is better

+1
I know there's a lot of younger people on here, & that many times money is hard to come by for them, but IMO it's better to suggest saving a bit more for something you'll want to keep for a while, than telling them the truth-which is that you're not going to find a great amp for $300. You get what you pay for, friends.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
dammit, a certain forbidden pic has been stuck in my head all day and would go well in this thread.
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
dammit, a certain forbidden pic has been stuck in my head all day and would go well in this thread.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TheProducer

Sometimes there is a much better amp just out of the price range, or as it often happens, they don't give a price range.

Well true, but there's always a better amp out of the price range.
Whats the point in suggesting an amp outside of the price range if he can't afford it, right?
Like I mean, if it's an extra $50 it's no big deal.
But lets say someone goes like $150 or more out of the price range.
They don't want/need/afford an amp that expensive so why even suggest it?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

agreed.

Quote by timi_hendrix

and also agreed.

it really depends on the situation, but i agree that it sometimes gets a bit daft.

Quote by riffhog
+1
I know there's a lot of younger people on here, & that many times money is hard to come by for them, but IMO it's better to suggest saving a bit more for something you'll want to keep for a while, than telling them the truth-which is that you're not going to find a great amp for $300. You get what you pay for, friends.

agreed. also you find, a lot of the time, that people have set a certain budget in stone, even if they have more money. i normally ask if the budget is flexible before suggesting something which is more expensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by amd123
WTF is the point of saying that wtf is that even supposed to mean? yes i konw ug stands for ultimate guitar...

you're a dick?

He was saying its UG....it's what they do... go look in the pit... THAT is UG....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by identityxcrysis
Well true, but there's always a better amp out of the price range.
Whats the point in suggesting an amp outside of the price range if he can't afford it, right?
Like I mean, if it's an extra $50 it's no big deal.
But lets say someone goes like $150 or more out of the price range.
They don't want/need/afford an amp that expensive so why even suggest it?

riffhog made an excellent point. Lets say someone does go $150 out of their pricerange with a $500 budget (we'll keep the metal amps as an example). Before they were in the range of a VK or B-52 amp (mediocre amps imo), but with that extra stretch they invest in a used 5150 combo which will last much longer and sound much better in a live situation (which reduces the chance of spending even more money for a step up from the VK they would've bought but grew tired of now they're in a band). Now that $150 just upgraded you from a budget amp to an amp used by plenty of professional musicians.
keep in mind that's just an example, there are always individual factors that are usually taken into consideration when suggesting an amp.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
you're a dick?

why is that a question mark
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jun 25, 2008,
Its not only on the posters giving the suggestions its also on the TS's for being retarded.... How many times have you heard this. I want an amp that is br00talz, tube, 100+ watts and it has to be a half stack and sound great.... my budget is $300 bucks... How the hell are you suppossed to answer that... So you tell the guy well your gonna need a 6505 with a marshall/vader/avatar cab. Then you get the what hell that is to expensive i said $300 bucks... Which is pretty much an impossible request unless you steal it, someone dies in your family or your buying stolen merch, so then the war starts....
yup, that happens a lot too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
first of all im not a dick
Quote by laurens666
And you came to this conclusion after being a month on these forums, jeez...

is that a good thing or a bad thing

and wtf does this even mean

/thread

Also one point i wanna make is I bought a vk and people suggested getting a b52 instead or a used 5150 but doesn't it also make sense to buy the cheaper amp BUT GET GOOD pedals with the cash you would have spent on the 5150 this way you can get an amp thats still decent and enhance it with pedals. If you buy good pedals you can still use em with your next amp, if you get one.
Quote by amd123
Also one point i wanna make is I bought a vk and people suggested getting a b52 instead or a used 5150 but doesn't it also make sense to buy the cheaper amp BUT GET GOOD pedals with the cash you would have spent on the 5150 this way you can get an amp thats still decent and enhance it with pedals. If you buy good pedals you can still use em with your next amp, if you get one.

There's only so much you can do with pedals, I think you'll probably find that for metal tones the 6505/5150 will sound a lot better without pedals than the VK does with; you really also have to look at reliability but that's a whole other can of worms I don't even want to touch.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by amd123

peavy valveking
black heart amps
epi valve junior

You really didnt think the rant thru did you?

They suggest those amps because in most cases they are best suited to the price range and style.

What would you suggest for $500 playing metal?

Quote by amd123

God damn, must be your time of the month
Quote by amd123

Congrats, with the money you "saved" from not buying a good amp in the first place you've now managed to waste what I assume are nice pedals on a mediocre, bland amp.

You must be so proud.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by amd123
first of all im not a dick

is that a good thing or a bad thing

and wtf does this even mean

/thread

Not really, because the Valveking is gash.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
This thread is full of fail.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
As has been said, I try not to make a suggestion outside of a price range (at least on purpose) unless you can spend just a bit outside of your price range for a serious upgrade. And the fact of the matter is that most price ranges are flexible, it's just a matter of how long you're willing to save up.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by amd123

Why does it make sense to spend the same amount on a cheap amp + upgades as a more expensive amp with a better know reputation for quality? Most of your tone comes from the amp itself, so why would you spend the difference on upgrades for a cheaper amp (that you're hoping will sound good with pedals) when you could have an amp that's just out-of-the-box better?
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Page 1 of 2