Yeah, I know that I am new here, but has any thought ever been given to some sort of stickied thread(s) system regarding all of the "Help me buy a ______" type of threads that are started on a daily basis?
Maybe split into a couple of of sub-categories:
"Best $300 or less"
"$301 - $600"
"$601 - $900"
"$901 - $1200"
"$1201 & Over"
Or something like that...we have numerous "THE ONLY _____ Thread" for other topics that get heavy use...how about something for all of the "Help Me Buy" threads? It's a little out of control.

Or.....

If nothing else, how about some sort of basic info checklist for someone to fill BEFORE being allowed to post a "Help Me Buy" thread?
A basic "Price/Style/Brand/Pickup Pref/Whammy Yes or No/# of Frets" type questionaire that you fill out to avoid all of these "I play guitar...I need a guitar" posts that get no answers.

Not trying to b*tch about things, I'm more than happy to help out anyone looking for help...It's just easier to help in a knowledgable way, when things are a little less chaotic.

Oh yeah...If someone does take time to help you out & offer you some advice...take a second and say "Thanks". It goes a long way.
it doesnt work.

also, it's not out of control. it's pretty much what this section does.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
A detailed buying guide(basically what you suggested) would be a godsend for those of us new to guitar and who are shopping around. I think the price breakdown is a great start, then you'd just have to work in some kind of further focus like genre/guitar/pickup type. A selection of used amps/average prices would be great too as new isn't always worth it.

I know the best way to go is always to listen and choose for yourself, but a lot of us newer folk don't really have the ear for tone yet or oftentimes overlook perfectly good options to the main stuff like Fender/Marshall/Peavey, etc.
there's a huge section in the stickies.

price guides vary from location to location, and updating list is impossible.

basically, if you have a specific question, then ask it
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

How about a big poster that says "LOOK AT REVIEWS AND SURF THE NET A BIT MORE FIRST"
i was tihnking maybe a new sub forum, but yeah, this is pretty much covered, most people put the right information in anyway, we all recommend the same guitars over and over, and then they go away to be replaced by somebody new.
Let's not forget that these are forums and thus people post things. Unfortunately, there are not enough "higher-end" questions so to speak to fill up the forums.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 25, 2008,
that's how it works.^^

other sections hardly move. at least in EG, it's constant.

learn to love it, no need to change it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm just wondering if there is a better way of helping people find what they are looking for.
If the section bothered me that badly...trust me, I would have no problem avoiding it.
The thing is, I like helping people that are starting out and I have no trouble answering questions from anyone....I'm just pondering out loud, whether there is a better way of working the issue, so that people know what to ask & therefore get better info quicker.

But yeah...with this many users...probably not....

Don
Last edited by ChipShank at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by ChipShank
I'm just wondering if there is a better way of helping people find what they are looking for.
If the section bothered me that badly...trust me, I would have no problem avoiding it.
The thing is, I like helping people that are starting out and I have no trouble answering questions from anyone....I'm just pondering out loud, whether there is a better way of working the issue, so that people know what to ask & therefore get better info quicker.

But yeah...with this many users...proabably not....

Don

Too many new users that are quite young also makes it hard. The forum format makes it very hard too.
Quote by jj1565
there's a huge section in the stickies.

price guides vary from location to location, and updating list is impossible.

basically, if you have a specific question, then ask it

Hell ya, Yeah you're right...That sticky should give people an idea of the basics of looking for a guitar & asking for help. If people don't read it...ther's really not much you can do.
It was just a thought...no biggie...

Don
"Buying Guide"? No way. Buying a guitar is too personal, you can't just say "In the $500-600 range, you should buy etc etc etc" You would need to know what kind of amp the guy has, what kind of music he wants to play, what kind of playing he does, all of that.

As far as a "ONLY" thread for people to ask questions as to which guitar they should buy, it could work. It'd move extremely fats and a lot of guys would get overlooked, but eh eh.
The thing is...it essentially IS a Buyer's Guide when they ask you "what to buy" and you give them your opinion...you're "guiding" their decision to some degree. And yeah I agree...to even make a base recommendation, you do need to know all that sort of personal info.
Which is why I was just wondering aloud, if there was some other way of helping people to ask better questions up front, so they would get better answers.
But like I said...no biggie, I don't mind trying to help out. So I'll fine just working with what we've got.

Don