So I soldered in my first set of pickups into my Tele yesterday. There is a humbucker (off an old guitar) in the neck position, and a Dimarzio "Super Distortion T" in the bridge. As far as I can tell, the humbucker is working to it's full potential and is grounded correctly. However, as soon as I switch to the Dimarzio, I get a hum.

Now, when I'm switched to the Dimarzio, if I press down slightly on the tone control knob, the hum goes away. Hence, this is a grounding issue, correct? Now does that mean I need to solder a spare wire to the tone potentiometer then to a grounding ring? Or am I way off.

The Dimarzio site doesn't help much. All they said was to ground the pickup. They didn't say where to ground them though; I had no idea.

Anyways, my configuration thus far goes as follows: Lead wire (red) is soldered and working. Black and white wires were said to be soldered together, taped, and set aside. Green is a ground, which I placed along with the other grounds on the volume potentiometer. Then, there is a small section of exposed wire (without pvc wrap). They said this was also a ground... so I put it with the green/other grounds.

Is that right, or no?

If you could help at all, please do so. Otherwise, I'm probably going to get electrocuted. (That's probably more realistic than I'm imagining, lol)
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Yes, the Green and bare wire would both go to ground. They would be soldered to all the other grounds. Now, there should be a ground wire coming from jack, and this should be electrically connected to the other grounds.

Did you make a new joint for the Dimarzio's grounds, or just solder on top of the old one? Desolder the whole thing, if you didn't before, and then make a new joint for all the wires.

Also, since I assume you guitar isn't shielded...Are all your pots connected by a wire?
forsaknazrael, yes there is a ground from the jack to the other grounds. As for the the second part you said... what/how do I make a 'new joint'?

And, yes, the two pots are connected.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

Yes, all of the grounds are grounded to the one volume pot. Do you think it matters if all the grounds are soldered into the same spot? Or do they need to be separated among the volume pot?

Also, my tone pot doesn't have a ground coming off the pot... or at all, I believe. The pictures seems to say that there should be a ground wire soldered to some point of the pot. Should I put one on, then just ground that with a grounding ring?

EDIT: Thanks for finding a picture, by the way.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

Oh, I made that diagram, using the pickup pictures on guitarelectronics.com. Hence my personal stamp on it...

Okay, let's see...

Your tone pot, is the capacitor's end ground, like in that pic?

I think it's better if all the wires are grounded to one point (As opposed to soldered to different pots), but not all exactly to one spot. As long as they're all electrically connected.
No, the tone pot isn't grounded like the picture. I'll go ahead and do that, and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your help, man.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

Do you have a ground wire to your bridge?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by CutlassSupreme
Do you have a ground wire to your bridge?

By ground wire to bridge do you mean: ground from potentiometer to bridge plate? If so, no I don't.

Man, I'm confused again. Time to do some more research!
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

^Yes it does. So I would just set it up like the stock pickups were, and throw the grounding ring between the bridge plate and pickup mounting screw? Then connect that wire (the ground) to the area with the rest of my grounds, on the back of the volume pot?
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

Yeah.

Thanks man. I'll go do that right now, actually.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit