I'm noticing a pretty heavy bias in here towards metal amongst posts asking for advice on guitars and amps.

What gives?

Is metal really all that? I know, personal preferences and all, but I'm curious about what the draw is from the technical perspective of actually playing a guitar. It seems to me that classic rock sounds are more what could actually be called "music", as opposed to noise.

Am I missing something?
Yes. You are missing something. Alot of metal is NOT noise.

EDIT: I just noticed your user title, and no you are not worthy of UG.
Last edited by MoleMania at Jun 25, 2008,
Any genre of music is still music. Not "noise." Yes, even rap.

Like you said, it's all just personal preference. It just so happens that metal has become increasingly popular in recent years and it tends to spawn guitarists. Thus, you have a heavy bias towards metal.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Metal's what is by and large, the most popular and in a sense fashionable form of rock at the minute - and also nicely serves that 'Oh smeg farting about - just turn it up' feeling.
EDIT: And on a rather obvious note - people don;t have the same opinion as you. Get over it - it's so much easier to not care
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by ZZRIDER
I'm noticing a pretty heavy bias in here towards metal amongst posts asking for advice on guitars and amps.

What gives?

Is metal really all that? I know, personal preferences and all, but I'm curious about what the draw is from the technical perspective of actually playing a guitar. It seems to me that classic rock sounds are more what could actually be called "music", as opposed to noise.

Am I missing something?

You are missing ALOT. A lot of metal is NOT noise. There are some genres that are in fact just noise and thats the point but a lot of it is not. The big draw? The fast,aggressive music and the usually very technical playing it requires.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

Here's what it is:

Some metal songs go into a certain frequency of sound that stimulates the brain. If the sound is played fast enough repetitively, it actually changes some information. This sound is mostly achieved by repetitive palm mutes on the low E string. Metal guitarists use this technique to make people like their music.

Hope everything makes more sense now.

EDIT: To avoid flaming, yes, that was sarcasm.
Quote by ZZRIDER
Am I missing something?

Obviously the presence of guitar in every metal song ever. It's the most guitar-centric genre in existence, of course a lot of guitar players are going to be interested in it, especially the more technical/solo-driven forms.

Also, use the search bar next time; there was a thread almost exactly the same as this not too long ago.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Because you need to be "good", or at least have some degree of technical proficiency, to play most (no, not all) varieties of metal. Classic rock, while also good music, generally doesn't require the same level of dedication to the instrument.
Quote by ZZRIDER

What gives?

Am I missing something?

yeah. you don't like metal. other people (including a lot of people here) do.

there's not much you can do about that, and it'll only drive you mad if you try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sykonatiac
There are some genres that are in fact just noise.

well, some bands at least. I.E. Sonic Youth in my opinion. But Metal's like a concentrated form of speed and aggression and anger all compacted in two and a half minutes. And some people like that. And to each their own.
Fair enough. Perhaps (no, likely) that it's just a genre I'm not terribly familiar with, hense my question.

I shall search further and attempt to become enlighted as to what I'm missing with respect to metal.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone. Have pity on a poor noob.
its actually nice to see people on ultimate guitar respecting other peoples opinions and not having a **** at this guy, which i completly agree with, music is a matter of personal preference and zzrider has every right to hate metal if he wants to. I would suggest he listens to some dream theater though as they are a band that cross quite alot of genres and they are musical geniuses.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Also, use the search bar next time; there was a thread almost exactly the same as this not too long ago.

Sorry if I missed a similar past thread. Unfortunately, a search on metal returns about 45 gajillion threads.
Quote by God
Hey, n00b shits,

Metal rules. Why do you even doubt the power of the genre of epicosity? It's is astounding beyond beliefs, yes even those beliefs that all my lackeys have proceeded to abide by.

I'm not talking down on anyone, well actually, I am. I'm God biznatch.

I'll have to agree with God. On another note, you fail. No, same note, different lyrics.

Seriously, you can't just call metal "noise" considering that a large majority of UGer's like metal, and that you are incredibly ignorant. You don't even know what you're talking about, how in hell can you possibly make a valued judgement on something you know nothing about?

GTFO ya furfag.
There's so much metal out there that has absolutely nothing to do with speed, aggression, or technicality. And a lot of bands that do focus on those themes are quite tuneful. So yeah, you're missing lots.

Range of diversity in metal:

Diablo Swing Orchestra: http://www.myspace.com/diabloswingorchestra

Jesu: http://www.myspace.com/officialjesu

Akercocke: http://www.myspace.com/akercocke

Spiritual Beggars: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=46588400

None of those bands sound ANYTHING alike, yet they're all metal. It's one of the most diverse genres, and you can find anything from mind numbingly brutal death metal to surreal and minimalistic ambient stuff.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Quote by beefofjesusbass
its actually nice to see people on ultimate guitar respecting other peoples opinions and not having a **** at this guy, which i completly agree with, music is a matter of personal preference and zzrider has every right to hate metal if he wants to. I would suggest he listens to some dream theater though as they are a band that cross quite alot of genres and they are musical geniuses.

Thank you. See now I've never even heard of Dream Theater. I'll check them out.

I'm not saying I hate metal and I'm not dissing anyone who loves it. Was just asking what the appeal is. Thank you to those who answered.

Perhaps I'm just not feeling the anger and angst that seems to come across in so much of what I understand to be metal. If so, that's my problem and I'm certainly not trying to disparage anyone who enjoys the genre.
Quote by severed-metal
I'll have to agree with God. On another note, you fail. No, same note, different lyrics.

Seriously, you can't just call metal "noise" considering that a large majority of UGer's like metal, and that you are incredibly ignorant. You don't even know what you're talking about, how in hell can you possibly make a valued judgement on something you know nothing about?

GTFO ya furfag.

Calm the heck down, bro.
TC, check out To-Mera. They're a progressive metal band that blends the aggressiveness of death metal with jazz fusion and clean passages. They also have a female singer (don't worry, she sings with clean vocals), and she's awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/tomeraband
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Quote by ZZRIDER

What gives?

Am I missing something?

I used to think the exact same thing as, until my drummer made me actively listen a Lamb of God album (although they are metalcore), and then everything clicked about why people like metal, it is fast, aggressive, it takes technical ability, and often times it can be quite beautiful. To really understand metal you have to actively listen to it, and not immediately roll your eyes at it when you hear it. A good quote to always remember is:

"No one has the right to say, 'Our noise is better than their noise'."
~ Steve Vai
Cafas, thanks man. Again, I've never heard of ANY of the bands you've mentioned.

I've got some googling to do.

And I apoligize to all the sensitive Nancies who got their metal panties all wadded up over my question.
Take a listen to how stupid this sounds

I'm noticing a pretty heavy bias in here towards classic rock and the blues amongst posts asking for advice on guitars and amps.

What gives?

Is classic rock and the blues really all that? I know, personal preferences and all, but I'm curious about what the draw is from the technical perspective of actually playing a guitar. It seems to me that metal sounds are more what could actually be called "music", as opposed to noise.

Am I missing something?

Sounds pretty ignorant, right? I've made a thread about this in response to a thread much like what you just created. I then reported both of them, because neither one of them needed to be there.
People are allowed to like metal. Fuck off.

*reported*
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!