Ok so one of my friends told me that I should get a mac cause there like really good for recording. but im more experienced with XP. im going to be using the computer for song recording, video editing, and im going to be taking online classes for Berklee.

here are the stats and prices.

----iMac----$3,216.00
Specifications
* 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
* NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3
* 1TB Serial ATA Drive
* Apple Mighty Mouse
* Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide
* Final Cut Express preinstalled
* Logic Express preinstalled
* AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* 24-inch glossy widescreen LCD
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

----XP----$3,147
SYSTEM COLOR Black Bezel Chassis edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 E8500 (6MB,3.16 GHz, 1333FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional with re-installation CD edit
MEMORY 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz -4 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs) edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable edit
MONITORS No Monitor edit
VIDEO CARD Dual nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
SPEAKERS Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer edit
KEYBOARD Dell USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard edit
MOUSE Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
My Software & Accessories
ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 36-months edit
PRODUCTIVITY Microsoft Works 9.0 edit
PHOTO, VIDEO, & BURN SOFTWARE Adobe Photoshop Elements + Adobe Premiere Elements edit
TOP SELLING SOFTWARE Webroot SpySweeper edit
TOP SELLING SOFTWARE Sony ACID Music Studio 7 - Create your own music with live recording & studio quality mixing edit
TOP SELLING SOFTWARE Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum - Easily create HD videos with drag & drop editing and "show me h edit
My Service
WARRANTY AND SERVICE Get $50 Dell Gift Card with 4Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor edit
PROTECTION AGAINST ACCIDENTS CompleteCare Accidental Damage Protection, 4 Year edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP 20GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year edit
ENVIRONMENTAL OPTIONS Support Reforestation: Plant a Tree for Me edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
LABELS Windows XP™
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested
Equipment

Guitar
- Jackson DKMG DINKY(EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez S5470 Prestige(Air Classic/FS-1/D sonic)

Amp
- Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
Mac.
"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
Pro's use mac, so I think that is a good idea of what you should be using. I have a lot of experience recording on XP, and it just doesn't sound as good.
Both of those are pretty intense computers spec-wise.

What recording software/hardware will you be using?

EDIT: Nevermind, you said.

Those computers are both up to spec, I think it's just personal preference. Would you rather use Logic Express or Sony Acid?
Mac all the way.
Besides XPs are old now, everything new is for vista and vista is horrible, kinda like a bowling ball to the nuts.
Mac
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Quote by Luizza69
Mac all the way.
Besides XPs are old now, everything new is for vista and vista is horrible, kinda like a bowling ball to the nuts.

Vista isn't horrible its ALWAYS the user
and TS both of those seem pretty good like the other guy said its up to user preference personally i would get the pc because you can "get" the Adobe Master Collection which will take care of all your needs all the programs are pretty good for video editing, recording music, photo editing, creating websites, and much more
i personally use the Master Collection and it is awesome
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Pro's use mac, so I think that is a good idea of what you should be using. I have a lot of experience recording on XP, and it just doesn't sound as good.

How does XP not 'sound as good' as using a Mac? With the same specs and equal hardware, it should sound the same.

Personally, I'd get what you're comfortable with. Logic is a good piece of software, but if you don't know how to use a Mac very good, there isn't much point in shelling out the extra cash for one.

In these threads, everyone is so quick to say 'Mac, mac, oh god mac', without giving much reason why.
There is poetry in despair.
If you aren't a professional don't get any, they are really expensive, seriously you can get the exact same sound of both computers if you record at your house.
I have an 800 euro macbook (with 4 gb ram) and it's more than perfect for recording.
k but do any of you guys know of any programs on Mac that i can edit vids with. Like Sony vegas8 On the xp is really good to work with i love that lil bastard lol
Equipment

Guitar
- Jackson DKMG DINKY(EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez S5470 Prestige(Air Classic/FS-1/D sonic)

Amp
- Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
Quote by Portuguese_boy
If you aren't a professional don't get any, they are really expensive, seriously you can get the exact same sound of both computers if you record at your house.
I have an 800 euro macbook (with 4 gb ram) and it's more than perfect for recording.

What do you mean? He IS planning to record at his house...

iMovie comes with Mac OS and is pretty decent for video editing. It's not pro quality, but it's fairly decent.
Quote by fridge_raider
What do you mean? He IS planning to record at his house...

iMovie comes with Mac OS and is pretty decent for video editing. It's not pro quality, but it's fairly decent.

If he's not a pro then it's not worth getting a 2000 euro computer, a simple macbook with enough ram is fast enough and can run the same programs, but if it was for studio recording it would be different.
I know, but if he has the money to, and wants to edit videos as well (which is very CPU intensive) then why not get the best machine he can afford? Saves upgrades later on..
Quote by fridge_raider
I know, but if he has the money to, and wants to edit videos as well (which is very CPU intensive) then why not get the best machine he can afford? Saves upgrades later on..

If he has the money, he can go for it if he likes, but I doubt it's something very professional that requires a computer of that quality, like I said for 1000 he can get something which has good cpu, good graphics etc, jut perfect for home recording.

But it's up to him, he could do other things with the money.
Quote by Pg.inc_music

First off..all pros dont use a mac..2nd,..its not what software you use its all in mic placement,a good ear,knowing your gear ect...software is the last thing and the most least important.
Quote by PsychomanZ
First off..all pros dont use a mac..2nd,..its not what software you use its all in mic placement,a good ear,knowing your gear ect...software is the last thing and the most least important.

Fredrick Thordendal, Andy Sneap, Steven Wilson, and a lot of others use macs ( only ones I remember off of the top of my head ). Macs are used in many huge studios. PC's are also used, but it seems that Macs are slowly becoming more prevalent in professional recording as well as home recording.

The software is important. Sh*tty software will have a lot of bugs, little flexibility, and will give worse tone. Record something in Audacity then record it with the same equipment in the same way in Acid, Garageband, Pro-Tools, etc. Audacity will sound much worse and there will be much less you can do. IDK about acid but Garageband will give a decent sound and has quite a bit of flexibility, and you can do so much in Pro-Tools.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Both are good in my mind and you do do the same with both computers.

I'm a PC fan and would go with the PC even though they are both around the same price range. I also do Maya (3D animation and building program) which works on PC easily so thats another reason for me to stick with PC.

It's all personal preference IMO.
Quote by Leper Affinity

The software is important. Sh*tty software will have a lot of bugs, little flexibility, and will give worse tone.

I call BS on this one...i have recorded in all different types of software using the same hardware and 24/44,24/48 ect.. sounds the same in whatever software i used. Sure, each has its own learning curves but definitly does not give "worse tones"..like moody said,its all preference.
A lot of people seem to think that free software such as Audacity doesn't give as good a tone as higher end software. The raw recorded tone, if you know what you are doing, will be the same.

And he didn't say that pro's don't use Mac, he said that not ALL pro's use Mac. Which they don't.
PC then atleast you can crack out some decent games atleast on that spec :P pros might use a mac to record but they dont exactly do much more on that mac do they ?

PC you have endless possibilities although I know mac's are getting more stuff theres still not as much user software. Adobe master collection is very good too
Well, having used both Macs and PC's for recording, id have to say Macs. They just seem to work. I have never had one die on me, or fuck up in any major way.

Plus, you will get a kick out of it every time you use it. They are just so stylish and rewarding. I still even use my G3 Dual Usb iBook for Graphic Design, and it still works great. Its a very touchy-feely thing.

Also, if you're a student, you can get huge discounts on pretty much everything.
Quote by moody07747
Both are good in my mind and you do do the same with both computers.

I'm a PC fan and would go with the PC even though they are both around the same price range. I also do Maya (3D animation and building program) which works on PC easily so thats another reason for me to stick with PC.

It's all personal preference IMO.

Maya works great on my Mac, not that it doesn't on your PC.

It all comes down to personal preference, there are people out there which love the satisfaction of tweaking there computer and upgrading components and things like that. There is nothing wrong with that, and is simply something that cannot be done in the same way as on a mac.

Also when people start mentioning the amount of software. Yes there is more software out there on the PC, but in all my years of working with PC's there are a lot of crap programs. There are some great ones too I'll give you that, but with my experience on a mac there is a lot more well thought out software. There are many programs on the mac where I just cannot find a pc substitute with the same sort of user interface and functionality.

I won't turn this into a mac vs pc war, because macs work best for me, they might not work best for other people.
Last edited by take_it_t at Jun 26, 2008,