Poll Options
View poll results: what type pf shred do you like best
jazzy
20 41%
neoclassical
23 47%
blues based
16 33%
buckethead(i couldn't think of another way to describe it)
17 35%
Voters: 49.
just answer the question

i'm a bit of a jazz guy myself
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
neoclassical for me
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
All of them, you can't ask a guy to pick just one
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That is why Buckethead is so great. He is all on is own. I can pick out a Buckethead tune out easily. He basically has his own genre. Even though really it would be like sub-sub-sub-genre.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
That is why Buckethead is so great. He is all on is own. I can pick out a Buckethead tune out easily. He basically has his own genre. Even though really it would be like sub-sub-sub-genre.

yeah, and that sub-sub-sub-genre would be called buckethead
Definately the one not listed, the "virtuostic style" i.e. Satch, Vai, Petrucci, Gilbert.

IMO, Buckethead is overrated.

Ever since he was in guitar hero he is like the end all shredder, a common buckethead conversation:

kid- "All buckethead does is shred"

kid 2- "No listen to his slow stuff, its got so much emotion!"

Just because a song is slow and mellow does not mean it is written with emotion.

I think if he had any emotion, he would take off the fricken bucket and mask
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Last edited by Teh GIR at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by Teh GIR

How does that even make sense? He wears the bucket because: 1 - It's a marketing gimmick and 2 - He values his privacy, I don't think attire affects how someone writes or plays music and the bucket and mask are just that: items of attire.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
To be honest GIR, I don't give two ****s what every one else thinks. I like Buckethead, I think he is amazing as a writer and a guitarist so I like him. If a ton of people like him then good, that is all fine but that doesn't mean I should dislike him. Get what I am saying? Just because it is overrated doesn't mean anything. That doesn't mean the music is not good.

And what does the bucket and mask have to do with the music?

"Just because a song is slow and mellow does not mean it is written with emotion."

I agree but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any emotion either. I think Buckethead puts a ton of emotion into his music, including his shred stuff. Just because you don't see him making weird faces, like Vai, doesn't mean he doesn't have emotion. The problem with many people is they decided that if someone doesn't sway around or make weird faces then they have no emotion towards the music. Which isn't true.
Quote by Teh GIR

If he took his mask off and got rid of all the crappy gimmicks he'd lose 50% of his fans instantly.
Quote by Stratwizard
If he took his mask off and got rid of all the crappy gimmicks he'd lose 50% of his fans instantly.

That is the biggest load of wank I have heard all year.
I agree bubbamc. If in fact half of his fans did lose interest in him after that...I would be happy to see the ones not into the music gone really.
More importantly, which Shreddies do you like best? Regular, Frosted, Coco?

I prefer jazz-fusion to neoclassical shred. Sure, Yngwie Malmsteen is good, but after 5 minutes of harmonic minor scales and diminished arpeggios, it just gets a bit boring. Guthrie Govan and Scott Henderson type fusion is awesome, as is the melodic side of Vai and Satriani.