first of all, if this isnt the right forum to ask, then excuse me,
but, if i posted this in either electric guitar forum or the bass forum, i would have gotten one sided responses (i think)

i'm mainly an electric guitar player
not that good, but know the basics

I have an electric and an acoustic both of which i like and are good enough for me

now I have a decision to make; a back up electric guitar or a bass?
I really picked up a bass like five times and thus i'm a complete novice,
but then again I'm not really good enough with my electric guitar to really absolutely need a back up (although it would be nice to have one)

I remember reading somewhere that trying out bass kinda helps to keep me interested and it helps me with my guitar skills as well (i have no idea how)

i'm totally split and i want you guys to just give me your opinions, like what YOU would do
if ur guitar sux balls, invest in a better one
if ur guitar holds up fine, go for the bass
Quote by prsrulz91
if ur guitar sux balls, invest in a better one
if ur guitar holds up fine, go for the bass

agreed.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I agree with the "if you've got a bad guitar get a better one, otherwise go for a bass," but on the other hand, what's your need to get anything at this point? Why not just save up for something even better?
Quote by kingurth
I agree with the "if you've got a bad guitar get a better one, otherwise go for a bass," but on the other hand, what's your need to get anything at this point? Why not just save up for something even better?

well one reason is because even if i do save up now
i don't think i'll want something like a $1000 guitar later on

but true, it's not like "I MUST SPEND MY MONEY RITE NAO" or anything
Last edited by thelax at Jun 25, 2008,
1. what model guitars do you have, and what amp?
2. are you in a band or engaged in any musical projects?

If you are happy with the quality of your guitars, then I would try out a new amp, or a new pedal. If you want to keep yourself interested in music, adding a new sound to your guitar playing is probably a good place to start, while getting a completely different instrument wouldn't necessarily accomplish this. If you continue to tool around with a bass and later want to get it, that's fine to, but I'd spend a little more time around an instrument before buying it. I would also advise purchasing a few theory or technique books / dvds. I have a love/hate relationship with "the advancing guitarist" because it supplies a never-ending series of exercises that are both infuriatingly monotonous and unbelievably beneficial to my playing.
Quote by sweeppicker91'
1. what model guitars do you have, and what amp?
2. are you in a band or engaged in any musical projects?

If you are happy with the quality of your guitars, then I would try out a new amp, or a new pedal. If you want to keep yourself interested in music, adding a new sound to your guitar playing is probably a good place to start, while getting a completely different instrument wouldn't necessarily accomplish this. If you continue to tool around with a bass and later want to get it, that's fine to, but I'd spend a little more time around an instrument before buying it. I would also advise purchasing a few theory or technique books / dvds. I have a love/hate relationship with "the advancing guitarist" because it supplies a never-ending series of exercises that are both infuriatingly monotonous and unbelievably beneficial to my playing.

i use a 2003 fender mexican strat with dimarzio fast track2 and pro track (which isn't THAT bad sounding really) for my electric
an Ibanez AEF30ETBK for my acoustic electric
and Marshall MG30DFX Combo for amp (again, not the best amp, but suits my skills)

I used to be in a band with my buddies and now I'm playing for my church (which has a pretty good speaker system hooked up to the entire room so i really don't need a separate amp)

but a theory/technique book doesnt sound too bad either...
can u tell me more about this "the advancing guitarist"???
id say that you're gear isnt that bad. Id go for the bass.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0881885894/ref=sib_fs_top?ie=UTF8&p=S00B&checkSum=40LDOd%2FyccFst4ilUxVWBj7iYohPYfe97s92%2Fe9ffME%3D#reader-link
-first couple of pages of the book

Buying an instructional dvd by a guitarist you like is never a bad choice either

any pedals? A line 6 pod is fun to mess around with, gives you lots of modeled sounds that aren't the best quality, but are a good starting point for developing your rig. You won't be able to tell much of a difference playing through an MG anyway.
i have a boss metal zone 2 pedal which i don't really use that often since i'm not much into the heavy metal stuff