i am looking to buy a new bass and i was playing some at the store yesterday and i used a 5-string. It was a tad difficult because of the small string spacing but im sure id adjust to that. My question is, do you guys think it would be worth it to buy a 5 string. I play mostly classic rock and jam stuff, and i dont know if i would be able to incorporate the lower notes into the music. what do you guys think? should i get a 5 string or would i be better off to spend the same amount of money and get a 4 string of higher quality?

thanks for any advice
5 strings are a little more versatile, even if you're not playing metal. I know a guy that uses one to do like, 80's cover songs and he uses the B string a lot. You'd have to see it to realize how to use it, but it works REALLY good. Or you could get one with the high C and that would open up some stuff for you with the kind of music that you play. But, realistically, I'd suggest just go for a higher quality 4 string.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
I've got a five string and I can use it for all sorts of styles, the smaller spacing makes it easier to string hop and especially to play octaves, the B string is kinda hard to use and is very quiet so I tuned mine to a low D because the guitarist in my band likes to play in that tuning alot and I couldn't be bothered with the constant changing. I'd go for it.
well when youre playing bass you can ALWAYS incorperate lower notes into music in my opinion. It would be worthless for classic rock, but for jammin and stuff it would probably be cool. It might be fun, but i think ill always play a 4 because i find it hard to play slap-n-pop stuff on a 5.....i dunno, thats obviously just me, there are alot of people that play slap on a 5.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
of course its a win. most jazz players use 5 to 6 strings.(check out John Patitucci) because of the freedom you have on it. theres so many notes and octaves, you can take your music to so many levels with more strings.
ZOMG!!1!11 5 strings r 4 losrz i sriouzly dnt lYk dem loLz

But seriously, now on a more serious note.. I played one, thought it was terrible. Neck thickness is an issue (for me anyways) I personally find that string spacing is not an issue.
Looks rediculous..........
But, its up to you.. Id go for the 4 string.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by crawshay
of course its a win. most jazz players use 5 to 6 strings.(check out John Patitucci) because of the freedom you have on it. theres so many notes and octaves, you can take your music to so many levels with more strings.

wouldn't that just be the same as a guitar.. But with differen't strings. I've never seen a 6 string but the spacing is the same as a guitar right?
Quote by ksmash5
wouldn't that just be the same as a guitar.. But with differen't strings. I've never seen a 6 string but the spacing is the same as a guitar right?

Nope, the neck is wider than a guitar's neck and the spacing could never be the same. Even the standard tuning is different: CGDAEB.
If you have a 4 string bass now then do what I did, get another 4 string and re-string the old one to a 5 string without the high G, that way you only spend a minimal amount on a set of strings and you have the best of both worlds as long as you don't intend to carry 2 basses about with you for gigs (which is always a must what with some peoples kit)
Quote by crawshay

I've never seen a jazz player with a 6 string and only very few with a five string. John Patitucci is not the end-all-be-all of jazz bass playing. Most jazz bass players use upright anyway.

At any rate, if you don't need one, don't get one, if you do, get one. It's that simple.
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
ZOMG!!1!11 5 strings r 4 losrz i sriouzly dnt lYk dem loLz

But seriously, now on a more serious note.. I played one, thought it was terrible. Neck thickness is an issue (for me anyways) I personally find that string spacing is not an issue.
Looks rediculous..........
But, its up to you.. Id go for the 4 string.

You played one 5 string and decided that all necks are the same thickness?! Wow, that's very insightful of you.

I'd go for the 5er personally, the more range you can have, the better IMO.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Try it out, experiment, screw a round a little to try and find a way to incorporate the lower notes down in there. There are videos of a guy using the Warwick Vampyre (F# B E A) to play some cool rock music. the low notes aren't just for metal, but you have the responsibility of finding a way to fit them into songs.
I have a 6 string and I can say the B string can be very useful in some situations that require lower tunings on a 4 string. Personally, every bass I'll get in the future will be at least 5 strings, but that's just me. If you like it, get it. If you don't like it, don't get it. Other people's opinions don't reflect yours.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.