Page 1 of 4
i know this may sound really dumb but i really need a new guitar and i was suposed to get one for my bday but my parents didnt get me one because they feel nothin is rong with my old one but it is a crappy starter guitar that cant stay in tune to save its life so i wanted to ask u guys how can i break it and get a new guitar without it lookin like i broke it on purpose
Quote by hooperalltheway
i know this may sound really dumb but i really need a new guitar and i was suposed to get one for my bday but my parents didnt get me one because they feel nothin is rong with my old one but it is a crappy starter guitar that cant stay in tune to save its life so i wanted to ask u guys how can i break it and get a new guitar without it lookin like i broke it on purpose

I swear, if anyone actually answers this question they should be beat with a stick.

You don't.
Rub icyhot on it.

Otherwise, figure it out yourself. It's not that hard to wreck a guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Why don't you just learn how to make it stay in tune? It's a Strat type, right?
Here's my guide on it:

There's several factors, when you're trying to keep a guitar in tune:
- Stringing technique
- proper setup
- As little friction as possible.

So let's attack these possible problems.
Friction - Your guitar has what are called string trees:

The circled metal thing keeps the string from popping out of the string nut. Useful, but they also create friction that prevents the string from returning to its proper pitch after a bend or something. So...apply some sort of lubrication to to the underside of the string tree, as pointed to by the arrow. Use something like Big Bends Nut Sauce, or Guitar Grease. Even pencil lead will work. Simply grind the pencil lead into dust on a paper, and use some of this dust on the point of friction. You can even use machine oil.
The same problem occurs at the string nut. Each groove has a bit of friction. So you can apply the same lubricant there, underneath the string, and that will help. You can also buy the appropriate replacement nut, but the nut should be made of graphite. There's less friction from that material.

Moving on to setup. There's a lot of material to cover with setup, far more than I feel inclined to go into...but I can point you towards some helpful links:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241&page=1&pp=20

Lastly, stringing technique. Yes, it's possible to string a guitar improperly. I actually mess with my Strats trem a lot, and it stays in tune really nicely. Of course, I have it lubricated at the proper points of friction and have a graphite nut, but I don't use locking tuners or anything like that. The secret? Stringing your guitar the right way! Here's a link that will show you how I do it:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Rub icyhot on it.

Otherwise, figure it out yourself. It's not that hard to wreck a guitar.

ahahah was the icyhot a serious comment?
Quote by hooperalltheway

Wow, that's sad. You're too lazy to work and make money, so you throw a tantrum when your parents don't buy you the guitar of your dreams, so you go to UG and ask how you can break your guitar assuming that your parents will actually take that as a reason to buy you a new one. How mature.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Cut some wires and hope your dad doesn't know how to fix it.

JK. Just customize your guitar the way you want it. That was it's more love~
you fail at life. My main guitar is my "crappy starter" (granted i'm gettin a jem soon) but it's still a guitar. No matter how bad it is, if you break it JUST TO GET A NEW ONE you're being ridiculously immature and spoilt. Plus, guitars don't randomly break themselves. If I was your parents I'd get you a Wal-Mart First Act after you break this one.

But as a serious post:

Put guitar on stand. Remove pants. Sit carefully on guitar so it enters your anus. Keep sitting lower and lower. The neck will then snap due your extremely tight rectum. Proceed to ask for a new guitar, stating that your old guitar's neck mysteriously disappeared.
i have a 'white guitar'
lol
just quit playing
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
Parents are retarded, accept this

Get a job and buy the stuff anyway, my mum is protesting at my extremely large amount of savings im about to blow
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
take a lighter take off the pickguard and just melt the pickup wires together and stuff.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by MortifiedLizard
Wow, that's sad. You're too lazy to work and make money, so you throw a tantrum when your parents don't buy you the guitar of your dreams, so you go to UG and ask how you can break your guitar assuming that your parents will actually take that as a reason to buy you a new one. How mature.

before u try and be a jerk and call me lazy u should know that am not old enough to get any sort of job besides cuttin grass around my subdivison and i dont have a license or car to drive or even a lawn mower that works so calm down
You're ****ing joking, you don't know how to break something? Jesus, I mean you're a teenager, right? How the hell would you not know this?

Anyway, why don't you just tell them that it's a **** guitar and it's time for an upgrade.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Just deal. Breaking your guitar on purpose isn't cool if you're only doing it to get another one. Here's how to make it cool:

1) Get a gig in front of thousands of people
2) Do an insane shred solo while the guitar strings are on fire
3) Smash it above your head at the climax of the solo
4) ???
5) Profit!

But seriously, just deal. Argue with her that a new one will "encourage your playing." That, and offer to split the price 50/50 or just pay for it yourself like everybody else. You don't seriously expect your parents to pay for another guitar after they already bought you one, do you?
How the hell do you not know how to break a guitar? You just ****in smash it, it's not rocket science.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by hooperalltheway
ahahah was the icyhot a serious comment?

very much so...

another solution is to give your guitar away to someone who will appreciate it...
break your guitar cable.. then it'll seem like it's your guitar, and you can get a new one, and then later be like "ohh it's just my cord" lol.. don't wreck your guitar
Just open up the electronics part and cut a wire.
If your parents dont get you a new one, just fix the wire!
I hope that you break your guitar and your parents not only refuse to buy you another one, but tell you to get a job.
Quote by .fallen
Put guitar on stand. Remove pants. Sit carefully on guitar so it enters your anus. Keep sitting lower and lower. The neck will then snap due your extremely tight rectum. Proceed to ask for a new guitar, stating that your old guitar's neck mysteriously disappeared.

I'm disturbed that you are aware of how tight his rectum is.
Too easy....
Lay it on the floor next to your bed and as you get up in the morning, "accidentally" step on the neck, just below the nut. Depending on the angle of the headstock, it should take much pressure at all to snap it.

Then get used to playing metal on your sister's flute...because your parents sure as hell aren't going to buy you a new one...not after you took such sh*tty care of the last one.

Don

Birthday : January 2, 1915

pretty sure you're old enough for pension at least.
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by hooperalltheway
before u try and be a jerk and call me lazy u should know that am not old enough to get any sort of job besides cuttin grass around my subdivison and i dont have a license or car to drive or even a lawn mower that works so calm down

Then hot rod it. Drop in some new tuners. That's what I did.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Just get a job, and use the money to buy yourself a guitar. Or better yet, just mod the one you have. Itll be cheaper and you'll be able to get pretty much exactly what you want. Plus, you'll feel a lot better about it knowing you worked hard to get that shiny new guitar.

But if you're dead set on breaking your guitar, unscrew the pickguard and cut the pickup wires. Once you screw it back on, it doesn't look like you did anything to it. But if you do that, I hope your parents tell you they're still not buying you a new one. Seriously, how immature can you get?
Quote by hooperalltheway
I Cant Get A Job!

Fair enough, but before I had a job I couldn't have everything I wanted either.

Come to think of it, I still can't
i played my sears special for a year quit being such a little bitch and get a job if you want a new guitar so bad dont ****in break it and whine to mommy and daddy

Edit : Why cant you get a job?
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
I got my tuners from WD Music for $30. Not the best, but great value. See if you can watch your neighbor's cat, mow a couple lawns, do your chores for a couple weeks, and bam!
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Page 1 of 4