i have an ibanez rg350dx and it has an edge 3 tremelo wich is basicaly a floyd rose. its locked in in the standard e tuning and i was wondering how i could tune the top e string down to d to play some metal. basicaly is there anyway besides unscrewing the lock in nuts?
You block the trem, unlock the nut, adjust springs in the back of guitar as necessary, then tune guitar as necessary.

At least that's how I did back when my trem wasn't blocked (I think)...

EDIT: OH yeah and you have to go back and unblock/lock as necessary...
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 25, 2008,
Unlock it or buy a D-Tuna.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
nope

undo the locking nut, retune, tighten the nut, fine tune, done

not the end of the world

or get an EVH D-tuna
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
No

Floyd Roses are not retuning friendly

Just to change the tunings you have to go throuhg the whole tuning and balancing every string process...it is much more bother than it is worth
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
Just to change the tunings you have to go throuhg the whole tuning and balancing every string process...it is much more bother than it is worth

When you say things like that it becomes obvious you don't know what you're talking about, so don't.

At least my answer (as lazy as it was) was on the right track.
if you tune it so that the bottom string is in tune when you have the fine adjustment screw right the way in, you can tune it down one tone - you then have to adjust the rest of the strings slightly (still with the fine adjustment screws) - the G requires a little more loosening than the other ones Okay, fine so it's not perfect, but it's pretty close.

oh, and
Quote by jdog_has_ibanez
... how i could tune the top e string down to d to...

It's the BOTTOM e

*hates it when people get it the wrong way round *
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jun 25, 2008,
the only way i know is to unscrew the lock
Quote by Lil Macker
Please tell me he's not from The Pit. That place changes people...

*shudders*
That's about it, either buy a D-Tuna (make sure your tremelo doesn't sit to low in the body)

or, loosen the low E nut near the neck, and drop your tune, and retighten it. Now fine tune the rest with the fine tuners. You should be ok.
Invest in a tremel-no. You'll be able to block/unblock the trem in just a few seconds to change tunings. Or you can set it up to "dive only" mode which will only let the trem move in one direction. Meaning that you can safely drop the low e down to d without affecting the other strings.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
i always just adjusted the screws in the back until it was right.* It may take a little while but you'll get it.* Another reason i hate floyd roses.