Page 1 of 3
so I was thinking about this, why is the Rock N' Roll genre just called rock now? I can't seem to think of a reason why there would be some shift, but people think I'm crazy when I say, "that was a great Rock N' Roll album" or "Great Rock N' Roll show."

why do you think this is?

-Wiz?
Cause we don't 'roll' that way anymore.

I'm so funny.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Because people are far too lazy to add that "'n Roll" to a sentence.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Because Rock N' Roll music has strayed away from the Rock N' Roll and focused mainly on the Rock aspect.
Quote by shark38j
You need a Flux Capacitor ........ Oh, wait, that's for time travel.

Quote by GiantRaven
Watch this one lads, I think he has intelligence!

Quote by unplugtheradio
or maybe he has an opinion *GASP*
The Roll was simply transferred from Rock to Rick.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
BringMeTheCalm and Kadaj some up my thoughts on the topic
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Because we have become a race of lazy arsed b*stards whom shorten and abreviate absolutly every word that took years of evolution to create.
Happy times.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Well i think ever since that bill passed in 2006 its been called Rock....
My Myspace :\
╔══ ╔═╗ ╔═╗
╚══ ║ ║║ ║
║ ╚═╝ ╚═╝
It sounds very old school nowadays, I think. Most people think it implies Evis and Chuck Berry as opposed to say Aerosmith or GNR.
Quote by wizards?
so I was thinking about this, why is the Rock N' Roll genre just called rock now? I can't seem to think of a reason why there would be some shift, but people think I'm crazy when I say, "that was a great Rock N' Roll album" or "Great Rock N' Roll show."

why do you think this is?

-Wiz?

cuz the rolling stones, led zeppelin, pink floyd, black sabbath, guns n' roses, ACDC etc. are "rock n' roll"

...fall out boy, nickelback, hinder, etc. are not.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
cause now rock is no longer rock and sucks
and people are lazy so
instead of saying rock and roll
theres no rock
so no more roll
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
Rock N Roll is more of the classic rock stuff, like when it had or has alot of that country, R&B and gosple roots in it. Rock is more of the modern stuff(like the 80s, late 70s) where the roots are less aparent. That's just my opinion.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Does the "Plain White Tees" count as rock n roll? Theyre barely rock

No rock today is Rock n Roll
Because it sounds dumb, seriously.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by alkalineweeman
Because we have become a race of lazy arsed b*stards whom shorten and abreviate absolutly every word that took years of evolution to create.
Happy times.

do you mean species?

words will always become archaic anyways, its a good thing...
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
coz rock is rock and rock and roll is rock and roll.
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

- because Coby Shadix from Papa Roach keeps on shouting ''Rock 'n Roll'' on his shows

- because most new guitarists think that The Rolling Stones is some old cartoon-programme on tv

- because all kids think that metal is the only thing on this earth

- because of mtv

- because kids these days don't grow up on the blues, like they should.

- there are no 'new' rock 'n roll bands these days (now that VR is dead for the moment)
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Quote by Aplanken
- because Coby Shadix from Papa Roach keeps on shouting ''Rock 'n Roll'' on his shows

- because most new guitarists think that The Rolling Stones is some old cartoon-programme on tv

- because of mtv

- there are no 'new' rock 'n roll bands these days (now that VR is dead for the moment)

Ya this is pretty much the reason, I think Rock N Roll has more of the blues influence to it all as opposed to what we have today which is bands influenced by bands who were influenced by bands (the 80s) who were influenced by blues (70s + late 60s). Its grown away from what it started as which is very sad.
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.
hmmmmm. perhaps, because people can't dance to the good old Rock that there use to be. Instead, we jump around, headbang, and mosh.

The "Roll" to dance, and the "Rock" we dance too. Roll along with the Rock.

Or maybe just rolling on the floor from the mosh pits causes too much agony, so we just Rock out, and leave the Roll out of the saying so, bands can sell more tickets to the kiddie's mommies and daddies.
Whenever anyone asks me do I play rock, I usually say, "No, I play Rock and Roll."

But seriously, rock and roll is the older stuff with more blues to it (as many have said).

The newer stuff with more modern influence and (almost) no blues at all is rock.

I prefer rock and roll, personally, but I can listen to/play rock, too.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Cause "Rock N Roll" is associated with some reckless sorta lifestyle of drugs and sex and booze, band's no longer live the lifestyle.
They just go on stage, play to a few people, put out a record every so often then go back home to the wife and kids...
There's no balls to any of it anymore.

And as well the Rock 'N' Roll aspect that most [more modern] bands associated with Rock N Roll such as Aerosmith, GNR, Led Zep etc. all had a real bluesy sound in connection with the original Rock N Roll sounds of Chuck Berry and people along his lines...

That's why i think no-one uses the term anymore
Because of crusty old men yelling "Yeah! Rock N' Roll!"

Soon because of kids who watched school of rock and decided to grow their hair and buy the Tenacious D & AC/DC discographies (in that order) yelling "Rock" "Rock on!" we'll become completely put off the phrase and have to find a new word for it.
Quote by Johnny Trash
Cause "Rock N Roll" is associated with some reckless sorta lifestyle of drugs and sex and booze, band's no longer live the lifestyle.
They just go on stage, play to a few people, put out a record every so often then go back home to the wife and kids...
There's no balls to any of it anymore.

And as well the Rock 'N' Roll aspect that most [more modern] bands associated with Rock N Roll such as Aerosmith, GNR, Led Zep etc. all had a real bluesy sound in connection with the original Rock N Roll sounds of Chuck Berry and people along his lines...

That's why i think no-one uses the term anymore

but I know tons of bands that have that sound... Try Peer Gunt for example, they have that AC(insert lightning bolt here)DC sound, all blusey and grungy like, but they just don't understand that it was and will always be rock n roll to me I guess.
Quote by Demon Wolf
The Roll was simply transferred from Rock to Rick.

Dear god my stomach hurts.
"I cum blood."

'Nough said - that's ROCK.

Rock and roll would be "I shoot heroine while bending my waya through an epic pentatonic scale solo"
Rock and roll is the brand of music that came out of the 50s with Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and the like. Since it appeared in the 50s, this type of music has had tons of changes, through the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and now that all mark distinct periods characteristic of musical change.

Rock n' roll music is now basically an umbrella term for the rockabilly of the 50s and some of the 60s. Now, basically no one but me and a few people on this site listen to this type of music, so no one knows that it turned into rock in the 60s and has been that ever since.

There's your answer.

EDIT:

Delirium has it 100% right.

Anyone who sees rock and roll as an adjective is not aware of that term's origin, and associates it of what dumb****s call their drug habits when they deny they have one.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
God! How many times do I have to explain that its called Rick 'n Roll now!

BTW: I actually read Rick 'n roll in the title and was mighty confused before I realized I read quite wrong.
Quote by Chris_Parker
Rock and roll is the brand of music that came out of the 50s with Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and the like. Since it appeared in the 50s, this type of music has had tons of changes, through the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and now that all mark distinct periods characteristic of musical change.

Rock n' roll music is now basically an umbrella term for the rockabilly of the 50s and some of the 60s. Now, basically no one but me and a few people on this site listen to this type of music, so no one knows that it turned into rock in the 60s and has been that ever since.

There's your answer.

I do as well...
Quote by Aplanken

- because of mtv

You are my hero.

And it's because Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution. It makes good, good sense.

Rock music today doesn't.
Quote by wizards?
I do as well...

Then you get a friend invite.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Only old people talk about Rock N Roll... the insanely old talk about Rock And/Or Roll.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Flying Couch
It sounds very old school nowadays, I think. Most people think it implies Evis and Chuck Berry as opposed to say Aerosmith or GNR.

+1
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Page 1 of 3