Because you don't. It can basically kill you. Good luck getting it to break up. (Doesn't apply if you use SS/want loud cleans).
Most people who are asking for suggestions a new amp and want 100 watts dont even understand why. They think they need it for their HUGE GIGGXXXORZ.

That being said having 100+ watts is more about headroom than volume. Ibanezpsyco explains it really well.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
fifty is enough to blow your eardrums. just imagine 100.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Well, most people don't need 100 watts. Doesn't mean you can't get a 100 watt amp, you just probably won't need all that headroom.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by thefrigginbob
Most people who are asking for suggestions a new amp and want 100 watts dont even understand why. They think they need it for their HUGE GIGGXXXORZ.

That being said having 100+ watts is more about headroom than volume. Ibanezpsyco explains it really well.

exactly it just depends on what you need it for right.
Quote by the-kid44P
i understand why you dont need a halfstack but whats wrong with 100 watts?

It depends on what you play. If you play br00talz then amps with high-wattage is for you. Br00talz amps tone is all in the preamp, and the high headroom stops the power tubes from adding much to the tone. If I'm wrong, then someone please feel free to correct me.
You don't, but people that bitch about others who use 100 watt amps just don't understand that it probably has a master volume, so you can get a sound at a low volume with a 100 watt amp, or a 1 watt amp.
Quote by Dream Pin
It depends on what you play. If you play br00talz then amps with high-wattage is for you. Br00talz amps tone is all in the preamp, and the high headroom stops the power tubes from adding much to the tone. If I'm wrong, then someone please feel free to correct me.

Correct.
Troll?
*reported* - let a mod decide.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Dream Pin

yah your right especially with struming on rythum i tried struming on a DEluxe reverb and 7 its imposible, well not really you just got to rool of the volume and then rool in back on when your getting into leads.
wattage isnt volume.. its power. you get higher wattage to power bigger and additional speakers... its about headroom. meaning you dont have to crank a 100watter to 11 to be heard.. and cause your 100 watter is turned down, you dont get much feedback and ****ty clipping. and a good tone and you can be heard..
Quote by psychokiller99
fifty is enough to blow your eardrums. just imagine 100.

I imagine an amp thats only about 3db louder...........

And to the Dream Pin is correct... Its all about how much headroom your need.
basically theres only really a benefit to higher wattage with solid state amps, because you want to slightly overdrive power-tubes in a tube amp which is what gives it that "tube tone" people talk about, whereas solid states need the headroom in the power amp to avoid hard-clipping. If you had a 100 watt tube amp, then you wouldn't really be able to make the most of it being a tube amp, because you wouldn't be able to saturate the power tubes enough to get that tone, without it being dangerously loud. This is why we always recommend 15-30 watt tube amps for gigging.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
We're not saying 100w is bad, it's just unnessecary. Tube amps sound better cranked so to get this sound it is better to have a lower wattage amp.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

BUT I NAME DROPPED YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
BUT I NAME DROPPED YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sorry dude i was skimmin because im at work and didnt even notice it... and now that i re-read the post thefrigginbob is correct as well...
Quote by Blompcube
basically theres only really a benefit to higher wattage with solid state amps, because you want to slightly overdrive power-tubes in a tube amp which is what gives it that "tube tone" people talk about, whereas solid states need the headroom in the power amp to avoid hard-clipping. If you had a 100 watt tube amp, then you wouldn't really be able to make the most of it being a tube amp, because you wouldn't be able to saturate the power tubes enough to get that tone, without it being dangerously loud. This is why we always recommend 15-30 watt tube amps for gigging.

It all depends on the genre of music your playing. Statements like that is what gets people confused. Also your correct on SS amps but not Tube amps...

Here's a quick guide...

Classic Rock, hard rock, Blues- Power tube saturation lower wattage prefered
Cleans- No Power tube saturation higher the wattage the better
Metal- No Power tube saturation 100-120 watts is prefered
Exception to the rule- Mesa's like a little power tube saturation so for metal your gonna have to crank it.

Heres the reason...
Metal- attacks need to be tight not creamy
Rock and Blues- attacks need to be creamy not tight

Another example when have you ever heard a metal guy say dude my br00talz was so creamy....
Quote by IbanezPsycho

do you even know what 3 dB is ?

i'm not going to pretend i know how much louder it is, but i'm sure it's much more than 3 dB.
(yes i know double the wattage isn't double the volume)
Yea I was playing on my band's other guitarist's B52 AT100, and I had to push the volume to like 5 just to hear myself. Though I should add I'm in a metal band and our drummer pounds the living crap out of his kit. He's extremely loud.
Quote by The red Strat.

i'm not going to pretend i know how much louder it is, but i'm sure it's much more than 3 dB.

Yes i do actually.. Do you even know how tube amp volume works or the way volume works in general?
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 25, 2008,
You talking to me?

I put that in my sig to save a lot of n00bs from a bad amp. They think they need a halfstack or 100W for some ungodly reason. I don't know, everyone seems to start there. The reality is that everyone at that level of understanding (or budget) can get themselves a much better amp -that will do practically everything they want to do in a gig- in the form of a 30-50W 1x12 combo.

Guys who worked themselves up to that killer stack are a much different story. I'm looking to save those who think an MG, Spider, or Flexwave stack is the answer to their amplification dreams.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have an old 130 watt Music Man combo from the 70's, on clean past volume 4 you can't hear the drummer.
Did I mention its a 2x10?

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by Yngwi3
Troll?
*reported* - let a mod decide.

i dont think so, just extremely pointless OPs in general. TS, have you ever heard of a searchbar
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes i do actually.. Do you even know how tube amp volume works or the way volume works in general?

yep.
Go plug into a 100W tube amp and you will learn. The hard way.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
As has been said, it's excessive in every sense, and you sacrifice your ability to crank the amp for anything other than the largest gigs. Way too much volume. Even a 50 watt is pretty excessive volume.
Quote by The red Strat.

nope, he's right, it's 3dB for every doubling of the amp's wattage. To reach "double" the volume, or 10dB, you would need a factor of 10x the amp's wattage. 2-3dB is about the lowest threshold the human ear can still detect a difference in volume. It's all about headroom.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I thought 6db was twice as loud... oh well.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by pak1351
Isn't an increase in 10db 10x as loud?

I think it's logarithmic scale, not going to check though

Yes, it's most definitely a logarithmic unit of measurement. +/- any amount of dB means nothing without knowing what the dB level was to start with.

/sound guy knowledge.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by leondb
I thought 6db was twice as loud... oh well.

Quote by pak1351
Isn't an increase in 10db 10x as loud?

I think it's logarithmic scale, not going to check though

say you have a 100W amp putting out 110dB, and you want to double it's perceived volume to the human ear. That's a +10dB difference, so we want to get to 120dB.

every doubling of power gives you +3dB

100W to 200W gives you +3dB = 113dB

double the 200W, so you have 400W, that's another +3dB = 116dB

double it again to 800W for +3dB = 119dB.

we want +1dB now, so if adding 800W is another +3dB, 230W should be approx. +1dB = 120dB

so a total of 1030W was needed to get us +10dB from a 100W amp.

here's a good chart of different SPL in dB. Look what a difference 10dB is.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 25, 2008,
Just to prove the math of the dB increase over the 50w

dB=10 log (Q/P) with Q/P being 2 (100.0/50.0) for a wattage being increased by a factor of 2

The resultant dB gain is +3.01dB relative to the amp putting out half the power.

Still even a 50W is going to be bazillions of times over the threshold of human hearing
Alright here's what I want to know. (excuse me for bringing this up again) For example, the Peavey ValveKing. I have heard from many people that the 212 is much better sounding that the 112. Even though the 112 is lower wattage/therefore more crankage.
I am not a tube expert by any means, but I was confused by this. I want to get the 212, and yes, I know it's waaaaaay more power than I'll ever need, but I've seen better ratings for it rather than the 112. I've heard that the speakers can "break up" at higher volumes on the 112, and the overall tone is just not as good. Also it doesn't have the prescence knobs. Which do you think would be a better decision for me? The 112 (I would have to consider changing the speaker/tubes) or the 212 (too much power/more money)
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by BaffAttack
Yes, it's most definitely a logarithmic unit of measurement. +/- any amount of dB means nothing without knowing what the dB level was to start with.

/sound guy knowledge.

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Exactly. Twice as many watts doesn't mean twice as loud. Come on.

Also, a 100 watt half stack isn't louder than a 100 watt 2x12 combo. It just appears as though because one has more projection capability.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I just ordered an attenuator for my 60 watt tube combo.

Its a 1x12.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!