For a while now I've wanted to learn Russian and I finally feel like I could do it this summer. I hear very good things about Rosetta Stone, but it is fairly pricey (around $220 for the first part). I really do want to learn Russian but I do question my commitment as I have been taking Spanish in school for around 4 years now and despise it. But a good part of that is that the teachers aren't exactly ace.
So what I'm asking is has anyone used Rosetta Stone? How is it?
I imagine Russian is very very hard to learn and even more so due to the different written language, but has anyone taught themselves it?
Hopefully you get the gist of what I'm asking
Thanks!

EDIT: haha learn! not lean! my mistake
Last edited by crazylaughboy at Jun 25, 2008,
Don't lean on Russians they go mental.

I have no advice on topic I'm afraid but I know it's a pretty hard language.
Learning a different set of symbols isn't necessarily that hard, especially if you're still pretty young. You can get some pretty good starters on the internet, but eventually you'll probably have to fork out to get a decent level of language control.

I think the russians use the Cyrillic character set for writing, but I could be wrong?
Why do you want to learn Russian of all languages?

Learn Spanish or Mandarin instead, far more useful.
Well - I'm russian - my language is quite different from European languages, as its got a Cyrillic base (diff alphabet which will be tricky to learn)

As for written russian - its a pain in the butt - there are way too many exceptions and rules and the whole system I think is badly designed (well after all the commies did it)

But if you're committed and have a genuine academic motivation - then go for it!
Best lean I could find...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Rosetta Stone is probably the best thing outside of having a tutor to teach you. But Russian is very difficult unless you are already familiar with eastern european languages and even then it's fairly difficult.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I used rossetta stone for greek once as a demo - it was good, it shows you pictures and stuff and it has a native saying it so you learn how to say it

I'd go for it ...but I'm a langauge freak
Well whad'ya know, it's a female on UG. D:

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20
i love me some fundie christian gayboys

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.

In soviet russia, language learns you!!

Sorry, it had to be done.
Quote by Hot_Money420
Banned because I know a certain girl who used to think chocolate milk came from brown spotted cows....that young girl was a boy...and that boy was me....

Quote by aig91
Banned because listen to Sara. She speaks the truth.

Join the F.U.C.K.!
Quote by MidnightSonata
In soviet russia, language learns you!!

Sorry, it had to be done.

dammit I should have said that!

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.

I'm teaching myself Russian at the minute, but I've not tried Rossetta Stone. This might help you though:
http://www.masterrussian.com/
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Thanks guys. Especially dinkydaisy. That site looks pretty good.
As for why I want to learn Russian, my family is originally from there, and while no one speaks it still in my family, we have many things from Russia still. So growing up in a household that was heavily influenced by Russia sparked an interest from an early age.
Also I am fairly decent at spanish, although I dislike the spanish department in my school for the reason that they focus far more on respect and culture than on the language itself. While i understand that those are important, I feel that language should be primarily focus of a language class, for the most part at least.
Quote by crazylaughboy

Also I am fairly decent at spanish, although I dislike the spanish department in my school for the reason that they focus far more on respect and culture than on the language itself. While i understand that those are important, I feel that language should be primarily focus of a language class, for the most part at least.

it must be like this in every school

...when i was doing A Level they basically taught loads of culture and a bit of language

:/

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.

Ask Zappp or Rankles, or something...
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I am also learning Russian right now, its quite straight forward when you get "the hang of it" so to speak. just learning like simple phrases 1st like Hello - Privyet and How are You? Kak Dela?, will help alot.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
I'm actually learning russian also...I don't have money for lessons, but there's this cool website: www.russianlessons.net ,its pretty helpful
Last edited by locosenor13 at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by RPGoof
Go play Call of Duty 4 for a while, you'll learn it fast!

If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Td_Nights
Ask Zappp or Rankles, or something...

Lol.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.