So as I've decided, I'm pretty much done with half stacks...Too noisy and I never go past 12' oclock on the knob.

Naturally I'm searching for a combo now. In mind I had a Peavey 5150, Carvin V3, and Bugera amps. I play mostly progressive stuff, but I do stray off into death metal with my riffs. I don't want to spend more than 900$. I want a nice tight low end, but with lots of punch. I know in flames used them and I'm kinda looking for a similar tone, but I'm not sure if they used any extra pedals, eq's, etc.

What kind of sounds will I get for each amp and how much can I score them used?

Another questions, what kind of TK88's can I put into a peavey 5150, I wasn't sure. Theres quite a few
Last edited by georgeazguitar at Jun 25, 2008,
Well, the Peavey 5150 has tons of gain, good for modern metal, but less than average cleans. The gain is pretty dark and grainy, a lot of pro bands use them. The Carvin V3 I would say is the most versatile from these. You can get about any sound from it, but it tends to get fizzy with high gain. Bugera amps also have a lot of gain, and are supposed to be great amps for the price, but they have a rep for being unreliable and breaking down (since they are so new, the debate has not reached a conclusion on this). They should all work for what you want, so it's more a matter of taste. The Bugera is inspired by the Peavey amps though, if that means anything.

Don't know how to answer the other question though
JCM 900's are pretty good, i own one. just switch out the speakers and tubes :]
Quote by fafinaf

Aren't they pretty expensive?

Switching out the speakers seems like too much of a hassle.
Quote by fafinaf

JCM 800's are better, might need an od pedal to get HIGH gain mind you......
Quote by the-kid44P
exactly whats your budget?

Like 900$, but I really would like to spend less to buy some pedals or something.
JCM 800/900 FTL for high gain.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Mesa DC-5.

I kinda hate saying it over and over again, but they're insane.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Mesa DC-5.

I kinda hate saying it over and over again, but they're insane.

I've never been recommended this amp. Does it have enough gain for metal? How much is it? Where can I find a clip of it being played with a metal tone?
Take a look at the Mesa F series... I'm sure you can find a couple of different used mesas. You can listen to some clips for a bunch of amps at netmusicians.org
I play a ton of different styles and my Carvin V3 has always sounded very nice. I tried literally anything and everything before I decided on this amp all the way into the $3-4,000 range and I didn't find anything that had a better sound that didn't cost three to four times as much (I never did find a Framus or an Engl though so I've never played either of those brands).

The V3 with the stock tubes sounds pretty good for death metal and other very heavy genres but the EL34s have more of a british voice (so do the speakers, my combo has the Celestion Vintage 30s) so I swapped them for JJ 6L6GCs and now it has a much smoother and tighter sound. It's pretty much perfect for Killswitch Engage and All That Remains which are the two bands I've been really in to lately.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
Used Mesa
Used Marshall
Kustom Coupe 36 with pedal
Bugera but who REALLY needs 120 tube watts in a combo....
maybe used engl?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I checked most of these out, but it really comes down to how much I can get these used. How much should I be paying for a 5150,V3,XXX,JCM 900??
To the TS, you could get a B-52 AT-112. Great, solid amp for about $550 USD. You'll have plenty left over and if you throw an eq in the effects loop, then it gets SERIOUSLY brutal. It really can be called a poor man's Mesa.

I play a similiar style to you, TS, and my B-52 does the job just fine. You could get the 100-watt version because it has more features, but honestly, it would be TOO loud for any practical use. I've never been able to turn my 60-watt to 5. But it's a great amp, and you'll have plenty left over for anything else you might want to throw in front of it.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Nothing,because I wouldn't pay to have a childhood fear strip for me,no matter what sick variation of the clown car routine they come up with.

Taste the Meat, Not the Heat.
LISTEN TO DEVIN TOWNSEND!
The Bugera reliability issue is highly overstated. Just to let you know. The 5150 will be good. The Bugeras do have better cleans and smoother gain.

I love my Bugera combo.

Usually a used XXX goes for lik 700, the 5150 can be 400-700. Not sure on V3. Ive seen JCM900 around 600.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by georgeazguitar
I've never been recommended this amp. Does it have enough gain for metal? How much is it? Where can I find a clip of it being played with a metal tone?

The combos run (if you're going with the 50 watter) between 4 and 7 hundred. The 100 watters will run around 8 - 10 hundred. Heads are cheaper (got my head in good condition for around 680).

It's basically a fusion of a Mesa Mark with a Mesa Rectifier, so yes, it WILL do metal ; I've nailed all sorts of tones from Petrucci to Lamb of God to Killswitch Engage to Devin Townsend/SYL, etc etc. For some reason all the clips on youtube are of more hard rock, although it can definitely get brutal. I'm not sure on this, but browse the Boogie Board and see if any DC users have clips. I would have created a thread strictly dedicated to this amp awhile ago, but I'm still working on trying to record clips on my Zoom PS-04 (or whatever the hell it's called). It's seriously an impressive amp, especially if you can mess with knobs and have guitars that vary with pickups and woods (like a tele, a les paul, a JEM, etc etc). Can do anything from jazzy cleans to brutal chugging.
Guys, thanks for all your help.

I saw a deal on craigslist for a 5150, 450$ with new tubes so I had to score it.

Thanks again.
Quote by georgeazguitar
Guys, thanks for all your help.

I saw a deal on craigslist for a 5150, 450$ with new tubes so I had to score it.

Thanks again.

Now do like a gear wh0re. Turn around and sell it for $550 and now your budget is stretched to $1000. Proceed to purchase a Mesa Mark IV combo, Mesa F-50/DC, or Rect-o-verb (my personal choice).

Or something else that suits your fancy...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio