I wanted to test with clipping diodes as overdrive, so I built this headphone amp/diode clipper in one. I made some variations of the diodes with the switches and added a BASS switch, which softens the sound more. The two pots are volume and overdrive. It sounds great and the possibilities with the switches make this a very nice pedal. The whole thing costed only 13$. You might get something commercial like this for like 200-300 $. I designed the schematic all by myself. If anyone is interested, I can draw it digitally.

Here's a picture:
i'm interested in you posting how you make this.. any pedal for 13 bucks is worth making
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
so it's an overdrive, right?

I'm just making sure.

Yes, please make this clear to me. I am also interested in the schematic.
I'm guessing it's a Dod 250/Dist + with switchable diodes?

What diodes did you use?

I use combos of LEDs, 1N4002s and 1N34s for my pedals.
Wait... wouldn't this control the actual degree of clipping... NOT the overdrive?

Usually gain pots are placed after a gain stage, not around a clipping diode.
Why the resistors before the diodes?
Quote by Pott
Wait... wouldn't this control the actual degree of clipping... NOT the overdrive?

Usually gain pots are placed after a gain stage, not around a clipping diode.
Why the resistors before the diodes?

call it whatever. It just controls 'clippage'

the resistors are there because it should mimic more tube sound.
you could also try asymetrical clipping for a more tube like sound. But i think its great you designed you very own.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
you could also try asymetrical clipping for a more tube like sound. But i think its great you designed you very own.

but isn't asymetrical already? On the left there is 1 diode, and on the right there are 2 diodes.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_its8_mods.pdf
first mod on there is for asymetrical clipping...

but from what I can see you have 2 in series in parallel with another two in series. But you might know more about wiring then me... I dont know what the purpose of that different diode with the !N4148's.

But are you not suppose to wire them in reverse parallel?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_its8_mods.pdf
first mod on there is for asymetrical clipping...

but from what I can see you have 2 in series in parallel with another two in series. But you might know more about wiring then me... I dont know what the purpose of that different diode with the !N4148's.

But are you not suppose to wire them in reverse parallel?

they 1N4148 are variations with the other diodes, to get more sounds.
It just doesnt look safe to me..the diodes are placed after the 386 which means they have high power running through them which would distort..but at the same time the 386 should distort itself..especially with the gain switch you have. There wouldnt be much clarity in this. Also the 100k pot is in a high power area too seeing as pots tend to be 1/4W and this circuit proably has around 600mW flowing through it. but then again I could be talking crap lol good job anyways!
Quote by Invader Jim
Damn, and I was gonna make one.

(Pots are 1/2 watt, though).

Pots power rating is stange I think linears at 1/2W where audio is 1/4W but again I could be wrong! If you're going to build this I reccomend that you have an input gain stage followed by the clipping portion of the cicuit, then the volume pot before the 386 input! should work nicely!
IF you're looking for an input gain stage I'd recommend the Electro Harmonix LPB-1 with a bit of capacitor tweakage
Geeze, you guys, do some calculations. In his circuit, the 47K and 100K are current limiters. With them connected in parallel, with the pot dialed to 0 ohms (worst case), the maximum power dissipation would be 2.5mW. That's 9 volts divided by 31972 ohms (resistors in parallel) which is 281 micro amps, times 9 volts is 2.5mW. Not exactly pushing it. The diodes won't be conducting all the time, so actual values will be less than that.

The configuration he shows is a standard clipping circuit that will produce fuzz and more distortion-like tones. For a more overdrive sound, the clipping diodes should be connected in the feedback loop of the op amp (where the boost switch is.)

And props to metal-guy for experimenting! Never stop experimenting... the worst you could do is end existence as we know it, which might turn out to be a good thing