Page 1 of 2
alright guys me and my band had our first gig a while back, which went well though i felt the crowd looked kinda bored. So, i was curious what you guys do to get the crowd hyped and keep em entertained. i feel that just head banging isnt cutting it.
thanks JD
Naked.

I havn't gigged
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
dont stand in one spot.
dont head bang.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
Have you ever been to/watched a concert before? What do the musicians you've seen and like do? Emulate that.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Don't stand still.
Look like you are enjoying yourself!
Headband. (if it fits the song)
Get the crowd pumped by clapping etc...
get them to clap, have some movement, and show some emotion in your playing.

If you want to hear stage presence, and I mean pure stage presence, listen to Run Like Hell off of Pink Floyd's live album, Is There Anybody Out There? That is pure win when it comes to that.
Quote by Flying Couch
Move.

Stage presence is all about motion.

oumean he should have a bowel motion on stage, and throw it at the drummer?
You have to be big, real big. Puff yourself up and act like you're the guy with the biggest balls in the world(except for that guy who had the Scrotal Elephantiasis). You have to look totally confident and move around. Be interesting and excite the audience.

Look at videos of people like Ozzy, Dio and whoever else you can think of. When you're onstage, encourage the audience and do entertaining ****.
Depends what kind of band you are. Being all "hell yeah I'm awesome" and strutting about like you own the place doesn't work if you're playing mellow music.
well we play metal so headbanging fits last show we had bearly any room i mean i almost hit my singers head with the headstock of my bass though our next gig (on the 5th) we have lots more room
Never introduce a song
Never take requests
Never introduce yourselfs
Never say 'Ready?'
Never say hello
Dont look up for the first song
Have a mic stand and move it about
Roll straight into the next number
If you do a cover song, never say anything like "so this is one of the bands fav songs"
Act like you dont give a sh!t, ..like most good bands who get up there and 'just do it'
Dont wear band t-shirts
smile to each other on stage, amongst the band

I hate it when bands do all of those things.
I personally am still getting used to moving about on stage, last gig my band I had I made myself proud, I was all over the place, it was a big stage too! Just move around, switch sides of the stage, put your foot on the monitors, move to the front for a solo, headbang! LOOK at the crowd! Seriously, if you look at the crowd, everything gets easier!
Last edited by slash fan #1 at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by MightyAl
Behead your singer using a guillotine.
Noone's ever done THAT before...

Alice Cooper?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Abe Knuckleball
I think it's more to do with charisma which you either have or you don't.

well, not necessarily i know someones who is extremely shy and quite off stage but when hes on it hes a monster...
we have a slight fear.... what if we say lets see that circle pit! but noone does it :'( ?
Quote by jewdannydan
we have a slight fear.... what if we say lets see that circle pit! but noone does it :'( ?

then you tell the crowd that they're just too big of wusses to do it. Or get down there and punch someone with a camera. Then they'll KNOW you're hardcore.

anyone get the reference?
Originally Posted by InvaderTSN
.....Dave Mustaine?

He seems like a guy who would do those things.

axl rose?
jump around.......alot. Have the singer do stupid ****, i.e pound the mic stand on the stage, swing it around, high 5 people, ect.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by wizards?
then you tell the crowd that they're just too big of wusses to do it. Or get down there and punch someone with a camera. Then they'll KNOW you're hardcore.

anyone get the reference?

Axl Rose, obv.

EDIT: Bastard beat me to it ^
I like to dance around John Frusciante style onstage. For all the crap people like to give the peppers, they really put on a good show and now how to use a stage. I come from a theater background, so I know how to look at the stage and assess it and use it. It's very important to know where everything is and how the light falls, if you can get a glare going off the hardware on your guitar or something when you start to solo it looks rather cool.

Seriously, dance around and act like you are the main attraction, because for those brief shining moments on stage, you are.
Quote by Abe Knuckleball
I think it's more to do with charisma which you either have or you don't.

This is true, but engaging the audience is also pretty important. I don't like gimmicks but having a front man, someone who the audience can focus on is pretty damn crucial. This usually means having a highly entertaining lead singer. This doesn't mean he has to dance around drinking blood. Theres just something about good frontmen that draws you in without knowing exactly why
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by InvaderTSN
.....Dave Mustaine?

He seems like a guy who would do those things.

No waaaaay. I can't imagine him doing **** like that. He respects people and property. He would never EVER get pissed off at say, a sound guy and throw away his flying V in the middle of a song.

>.>
Page 1 of 2