Hey UG,

First post XD why not open with some stupid questions...
I'm new to guitar/music so be gental.

Musical notes are ABCDEFG, with sharps and flats right?...

I assume A# is the same note as Bb? and so on... One of the UG lesson I read states the notes of a guitar are:

A Bb B C Db D Eb E F F# G Ab A

Why (on guitar at least) is F the only # note?
Shouldn't it be:

A A# Bb B B# Cb C C# Db D D# Eb E E# Fb F F# Gb G G# Ab A

And why don't C and G have sharps or flats?

I'm also trying to learn the major scale, I've learnt the first position of the G major scale here: UG Lesson

How many positons of the major scale are there and can I move thoes positon around to change the key of the scale, to say play a B major scale?
Or does the patern change in different keys?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but you gotta start somewhere, eh?

Cheers.
lots of questions,lets break it down:
1)A# and Bb are the same notes,they are called enharmonic..
there`s no real reason why F was written as sharp. its just more common to call it F# other than Gb.
2)about positions of scales,heck it doesnt really matter.. as long as you play all the notes of a specific scale,you get yourself a position.
3)the major scale pattern could be used on all major scales.. the pattern obviously change if you jump from B major to C harmonic minor.. cause its just a completly different scale

hope things are more clear
Its actually the B and E that have no sharps and yes you can move that shape around according to the key.
Quote by Free
Its actually the B and E that have no sharps and yes you can move that shape around according to the key.

B# and E# exist. They're not commonly used but they're there.
What you didn't get is that the distance between 2 notes isn't always the same...
I'll start on C, you'll get why later on
C_D_E-F_G_A_B-C
In that line (which is 1 octave), you could say that _ = - + -
So the distance between C and D is 2ce as big as the distance between E and F
_ = a tone (I'll use '2' for that)
- = half a tone (I'll use '1' for that)

So whenever the distances between notes are 2 2 1 2 2 2 1, you have a major scale. Why is that? Because some guy played those intervalls and everybody seemed to like them. C major is a scale that just sounded "awsome" and so it became the most used scale (you could even say standard scale).

Now in the most used music system, there are 12 notes in an octave. You'll notice that if you divide the octave equally, that the difference between each part will be half a tone.

Now we use C, D, E, F, G, A and B out of convention. You'll see that to get to those 12 notes, there has to be a note between C and D, one between D and E, one between F and G, one between G and A, and one between A and B.
None between E and F and between B and C, because those notes are only half a tone apart from each other.

C Major is "THE" scale per convention, so there are no b's or #es in it. If you change your starting note, there will be flats and sharps in it, just because you have to keep that series of intervalls the same if you want a major key. The serie of intervalls kinda determins what feeling your song will have to it.

Now why use sharps AND flats? Sharps only would do just fine, so would flats only. If you get an E#, that equals an F. So in scales with an E# (next to some other sharps), it would be nice to use sharps because then you'd have an F standing there instead of an E#. If you have an Fb (= an E), the same thing goes. I can't really explain this quickly to you, but if you wanna know, look up the circle of fifths. What I'm trying to say is explained WAAAY better in that piece of theory. The general idea is just to have a scale with as less possible sharps or flats. Just because that looks easyer. (confusing yourself isn't needed).

I hope this does you some good...
Thanks for the help everyone!

It's slowly sinking in.

Is it possible learn all the positons of a scale or are there to many variations? Looking up scales I don't see much consistency so what are the best positions to learn? I was hoping to learn all or at least most of the common major scale shapes then moving on to minor then pent maj/min, does that sound like a good plan for a n00b? I can play the 5 positons in the linked lessons fairly well.

Also what determines the root note of a scale? I thought it was the starting note but in the lesson I posted a link to above has Gmaj 2nd position starting on the 5th fret on the E string, shouldn't that make it a A major scale.

Cheers.
Positions are pretty much irrelevant - that's not really what you learn. You learn the notes of the fretboard first, then for any scale you learn its notes and pattern of intervals and put it all together. You'll end up with patterns obviosuly, but they shouldn't be your starting point, they're jsut a quick reference to help you remember and use the scale once you've learned it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok, thanks. I'm ok with recognizing the notes on the fret board, it just takes me a while so I will practice that a bit more, cheers.
Ok... I used what I believe is the major scale intervals (2212221) please correct me if I'm wrong and attempted to construct the A major scale using 3 notes per string.

Giving me:

2  2  1  2  2  2  1
A  B  C# D  E  F# G# A

----------------------------------------------------2---4---5----
---------------------------------------2---3---5-----------------
-------------------------6----7---9------------------------------
-------------5---7---9-------------------------------------------
-5---7---9-------------------------------------------------------
 A   B   C#  D   E   F#  G#   A   B    C#  D   E    F#  G#  A

Does that look right? Would that be a good major scale to play around with?

Feel free to laugh if I'm completely wrong.

Cheers.
Quote by NEMESIS-X
Ok... I used what I believe is the major scale intervals (2212221) please correct me if I'm wrong and attempted to construct the A major scale using 3 notes per string.

Giving me:

2 2 1 2 2 2 1
A B C# D E F# G# A

----------------------------------------------------2---4---5----
---------------------------------------2---3---5-----------------
-------------------------6----7---9------------------------------
-------------5---7---9-------------------------------------------
-5---7---9-------------------------------------------------------
A B C# D E F# G# A B C# D E F# G# A

Does that look right? Would that be a good major scale to play around with?

Feel free to laugh if I'm completely wrong.

Cheers.

I don't know if it's right, but I play it like this.

e-------------------------------------------------7--9--10--------
B--------------------------------------7--9--10-----------------
G-----------------------------6--7--9------------------
D---------------------6--7--9------------------
A------------5--7--9----------------------------
E---5--7--9-----------------
Yeah thanks I think you're right.

I'm just a n00b and skiped the G string for some reason. :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------7---9---10-
----------------------------------------------------7---9---10--------------
---------------------------------------6---7---9----------------------------
-------------------------6----7---9-----------------------------------------
-------------5---7---9------------------------------------------------------
-5---7---9------------------------------------------------------------------
 A   B   C#  D   E   F#  G#   A   B    C#  D   E    F#  G#  A    B   C#  D

Look into the circle of 5ths. You'll see in keys such as C# Major how notes like C#and E# fit in the key signature. BTW if you the style of music I do you'll never play in keys other than E or A minor so you'll never have to worry about it.
Will have a look into the circle of 5ths tonight after work, I meant to do that last night following Base Ics' advice but got side tracked. :P

I like pretty much any music, but mostly metal.
Last edited by NEMESIS-X at Jun 26, 2008,