Page 1 of 4
Yeah, I know roughly 6 languages and I've always fancied going up into double figures and learning a few more.

What do you think is a realistic time to learn 4 more languages to a standard where I could have basic fluency and conversational skills? Also, what is the best way to go about learning if I am going to teach myself?

I'm thinking of learning Japanese, Flemish, Hindi and Russian.
Depends on how you do it
but id say conversational, 4 months a language if you practice each day
and WTF is flemish?
I think you could learn like russian easily but the rest 3 languages are way too hard, u shouldn have to study them as a little kiddo
鋼の錬金術師
when the **** are you ever going to need flemish? also i'd say probably about a year in total, with constant practice...don't learn them concurrently, you'll just get confused.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Quote by gnpwdrtreason
Depends on how you do it
but id say conversational, 4 months a language if you practice each day
and WTF is flemish?

Flemish- the language spoken in Northern Belgium. It's a variant of Dutch
Flemish is not a language, it is a dialect of Dutch, no matter what Belgian people might tell you.
Best way to learn a language is to go to the country in question for half a year, forcing you to speak it daily.

Edit: Tough luck learning Dutch in the Netherlands though, everyone will automatically switch to English when they hear you are foreign, same might happen with Belgian people, although they might be more tolerant.
Last edited by Dylan_IE at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by Vedder
when the **** are you ever going to need flemish? also i'd say probably about a year in total, with constant practice...don't learn them concurrently, you'll just get confused.

I'm planning to take an internship after I graduate which is smack-bang in the middle of Flemish-speaking Belgium. Seen as I'm handy with languages I might as well make an atempt to learn the language.
Flemish is Dutch for all practical purposes. You'll be fine. They just say things a little different and have some of their own slang but it's very similar. I can understand it pretty much the same as Dutch, and hell my Dutch is crap

I speak 3 languages fluently and understand roughly 3 or so more. It's A LOT of work, even if you practice everyday. For me, speaking a language fluently also involves speaking in idioms, using quoloquials and understanding the culture behind the language. May just be me though, and that's coming from someone who's typing in his second language.

I actually think in English, which helps. I still consider myself learning it, though I am fluent of course. I speak without an accent too which for a Frenchman is rare enough. But accents and such I see as superficial. Either you do or don't, and it shouldn't matter. Speaking isn't about forming words, it's about communicating. If you have THAT in mind, you'll be fine

Sorry if I sound condescending, I don't mean to. I'm just speaking from experience on a subject I really love.
Learn Gaelic and I will be in awe of you. I've always wanted to learn Gaelic.
Slovak is pretty cool, but I only ever really speak it when my grandfather's family is visiting.

I really need to learn something besides Italian...
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Hindi FTMTFW, coolest language ever. Granted it doesn't sound too cool but it's the funnest language to speak in plus we make the most movies so you'll never run out of practise material.
I have little faith in your ability to speak any of those languages to the extent that you could pronounce the words at the level of a 3rd grader.
I may be wrong, but I lived in Spain for 7 years, and these pricks introducing themselves as 'fluent' then murdering 'paella' (It's Pah-ey-a, and not in a damn Manchester accent) make me sick. Please stick to what you know, 4 languages will look just as impressive as 10 to a potential employer, and having them mastered > knowing how to request a rice dish incorrectly.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Insanity^2
I have little faith in your ability to speak any of those languages to the extent that you could pronounce the words at the level of a 3rd grader.
I may be wrong, but I lived in Spain for 7 years, and these pricks introducing themselves as 'fluent' then murdering 'paella' (It's Pah-ey-a, and not in a damn Manchester accent) make me sick. Please stick to what you know, 4 languages will look just as impressive as 10 to a potential employer, and having them mastered > knowing how to request a rice dish incorrectly.

Very well said and even more true.
Quote by Shred Head
Hindi FTMTFW, coolest language ever. Granted it doesn't sound too cool but it's the funnest language to speak in plus we make the most movies so you'll never run out of practise material.

Bollywood is cool!
i was attempting to learn japanese a a while ago with just the help of rosetta stone but it wasnt enough. i need someone to talk to that knows the lingo. plus who the hell needs like 3 ways to write?? seriously wtf!
Quote by stitches31
i was attempting to learn japanese a a while ago with just the help of rosetta stone but it wasnt enough. i need someone to talk to that knows the lingo. plus who the hell needs like 3 ways to write?? seriously wtf!

And just to prove my point... You sir have made no attempts to understand the culture behind Japanese. Which means no matter how well you speak it, you'll always be somewhat lost. I mean no offence, it's just an observation.

For me personally, learning a language involves both speaking it and understanding the people who speak it.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
what do you know already??

Latin, ancient Greek, a bit of Modern Greek, French, Italian and I'm also learning Korean with a friend.
Quote by Pott
And just to prove my point... You sir have made no attempts to understand the culture behind Japanese. Which means no matter how well you speak it, you'll always be somewhat lost. I mean no offence, it's just an observation.

For me personally, learning a language involves both speaking it and understanding the people who speak it.

ok i love japanese culture. i was planning on moving there one day. all i was saying is that the 3 writing systems is confusing as crap to someone trying to learn the language.
Quote by markodeano1
You would of thought after six languages you would no how by now

My only problem is that for most of the other languages I've learnt, I've had some sort of professional teaching, but at the moment I can't find classes I can easily get to, or they're too expensive.
I would suggest learning languages that are similar or were close to each other when developing (i.e. Portuguese and Spanish). Also, do learn Chinese and Russian.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Latin, ancient Greek, a bit of Modern Greek, French, Italian and I'm also learning Korean with a friend.

French is an INCREDIBLY hard language to master. I'm French and I still consider that I have to learn more of it.
You're fluent in Latin and ancient Greek then? That's pretty cool. I did three years of Latin in middle school, went right past me, never recalled anything
Quote by Shred Head

Well, you're half right. Hindi, when spoken with a more advanced vocabulary, is a very beautiful language, it just doesn't sound too impressive in everyday use. And its quick, and easy to learn. I like it because you pronounce words exactly as they are written. And, as Mah esteemed colleague pointed out - we turn out a lot of movies, which by and large, are easily and cheaply available in the UK and generally have simple vocabulary.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Bollywood is cool!

Go on, learn it, I'll be your speaking partner if you need one
Quote by LordBishek
Well, you're half right. Hindi, when spoken with a more advanced vocabulary, is a very beautiful language, it just doesn't sound too impressive in everyday use. And its quick, and easy to learn. I like it because you pronounce words exactly as they are written. And, as Mah esteemed colleague pointed out - we turn out a lot of movies, which by and large, are easily and cheaply available in the UK and generally have simple vocabulary.

But no one really uses the complicated stuff anyway, my Hindi too, is very colloquial.
Last edited by Shred Head at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by Pott
French is an INCREDIBLY hard language to master. I'm French and I still consider that I have to learn more of it.
You're fluent in Latin and ancient Greek then? That's pretty cool. I did three years of Latin in middle school, went right past me, never recalled anything

Yeah, I normally do Latin and Greek translation work (Latin-English and Greek-English) but I also do some composition and spoken work.

I know French is pretty hard. I did it right up until A Level and I then took a Modern Literature module at university, including French literature. I found it easier than other people because I could understand the original text to an extent but I still found it hard.
English IS the easiest language I know... Then Spanish, then German. Obviously I don't know that many compare to all the ones around the world though.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Two of those are dead...strange choice of languages to master.

I was offered Latin at school as part of a 'Gifted Pupils' scheme and the same teacher then taught me Greek alongside it.

Then my French teacher at college knew I was good at languages and did some Italian classes which I then augmented during several stays in Italy.

Modern Greek I'm learning because I have Greek friends and Korean because I just want to learn it.
Quote by wgpguy

THIS.

I love the Gaelic language. I definitely want to learn it.

Best of luck learning the new languages. Japanese and Russian shouldn't present too much trouble.

Quote by wgpguy

Don't waste your time. You might as well learn Latin for all the use you'll get out of learning Gaelic. Plus it sounds like your gargling half a pint of phlegm when you talk. Then there are the regional differences

Irish, Scottish, Manx (dead), Cornish (dead), Welsh, Breton (dead)

Also, when you say "LEARN" do you mean speak fluently or just able to ask "Do you do it doggy, doggy" in Swahili

*cookie to anyone who gets the reference
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by wiggy1988
Don't waste your time. You might as well learn Latin for all the use you'll get out of learning Gaelic. Plus it sounds like your gargling half a pint of phlegm when you talk.

Also, when you say "LEARN" do you mean speak fluently or just able to ask "Do you do it doggy, doggy" in Swahili

*cookie to anyone who gets the reference

She already speaks Latin and Gaelic is the language that people in Ireland actually speak.
Quote by Aramis
She already speaks Latin and Gaelic is the language that people in Ireland actually speak.

I visit Ireland at least twice a year and have still yet to meet a single person who speaks Gaelic. Anyone that does, more or less abandons it after it stops being a compulsory part of their education.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988
I visit Ireland at least twice a year and have still yet to meet a single person who speaks Gaelic. Anyone that does, more or less abandons it after it stops being a compulsory part of their education.

Still a really cool language, which is as much reason as is needed.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yeah, I know roughly 6 languages and I've always fancied going up into double figures and learning a few more.

What do you think is a realistic time to learn 4 more languages to a standard where I could have basic fluency and conversational skills? Also, what is the best way to go about learning if I am going to teach myself?

I'm thinking of learning Japanese, Flemish, Hindi and Russian.

if you already know 6 languages should you not already know the timescale to learn new ones?
Passion Before Fashion

---------------------------------------------------------
Ibanez S470DQXM
Amp Fund 0/300
----------------------------------------------------------
Quote by Aramis
Still a really cool language, which is as much reason as is needed.

So is Anglo-Saxon but you won't catch me trying to bring that back into day to day use. You want a cool language, try learning something thats close to becoming extinct. Now thats a challenge
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Page 1 of 4