it looks like this

-2-
-4-
-3-
-4-
-2-

any ideas??
The One You Call Daddy
All TABs should include all six strings or something denoting what the lowest string written is. Can I assume the chord starts on the A string? If so, it's Bmaj7.

Moreover, please put TABs in code. Quote my post to see how.

e-2-
B-4-
G-3-
D-4-
A-2-
E---
Most likely, you would want to use the B major scale over a Bmaj7.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
if you're starting on the A string, it would be a Bmaj7, so you could use a Bm pentatonic scale, or any B scale. if you're starting on the low E string i have no clue what it would be, but it would be something to do with an F# so F#m pentatonic, or any F# scale.
kl

but what scales can i use, apart from like the major scale or minor pent.
The One You Call Daddy
Quote by assparade69
you could use a Bm pentatonic scale, or any B scale. if
No, not really. Bm pentatonic will sound weird since a maj7 isn't bluesy. Also, something like B Phrygian Dominant is going to be weird as well, so not every B scale will work.

Appropriate scales:
B major pentatonic
B Major
B Lydian
Anything with B, D#, F#, and A# with B as the root.
You could use one of many scales, as BGC suggested; a very uncommon choice that can be used over maj7 chords is the Lydian Augmented scale. It's usually used in the context of maj7#5 chords, but it'll add color to this. You'll have to be creative though, as you don't want to hang on the #4 (E#) or #5 (Fx) for very long in most situations; however, use them as passing tones and it'll sound interesting.
Every answer so far is assuming that this chord is a vamp. If it is part of a progression, we can't tell you without seeing it. Still, read the theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Every answer so far is assuming that this chord is a vamp. If it is part of a progression, we can't tell you without seeing it. Still, read the theory sticky.

I actually just meant to edit that into my last post, thanks.
Quote by Ice15
its sum kind of really weird b chord...

it looks like this

-2-
-4-
-3-
-4-
-2-

any ideas??

Thats not a weird chord at all. Assuming your starting on the 5th string you have a standard B Maj7 chord.

On its own with no context I would recommend:

B Major
B Major pentatonic
B Lydian

I wouldnt use Lydian augmented as suggested above because it includes the #5 which would clash with the Natural 5 in that chord.

Is that just a chord you came across? If so keep in mind context is very important. Chances are your going to solo over that chord as part of a chord progression, in which case the answer may be slightly different.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I wouldnt use Lydian augmented as suggested above because it includes the #5 which would clash with the Natural 5 in that chord.

Like I said, if you don't hang on the Fx it will add the unusual color to the line.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Is that just a chord you came across? If so keep in mind context is very important. Chances are your going to solo over that chord as part of a chord progression, in which case the answer may be slightly different.
I was about to say that.

You can use the #5 over a maj7 chord is the chord lacks a fifth or you are very very tactful with your use.
Quote by :-D
Like I said, if you don't hang on the Fx it will add the unusual color to the line.

so why not just use lydian and avoid the issue altogether ?

Quote by bangoodcharlote
I was about to say that.

You can use the #5 over a maj7 chord is the chord lacks a fifth or you are very very tactful with your use.

right, but it does contain the 5th, and a person that thinks a standard Maj7th chord is a "weird chord"... probably isn't ready to be that tactful.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky

Because I like the color the #5 provides. That's really what's important to me.
Because I like the color the #5 provides. That's really what's important to me.

you like how the the #5 note sounds over a natural 5? Why did you say to avoid it then?
shred is gaudy music
he said to avoid hanging on to it, because obviously it's dissonant. Dissonance, however, can be good in small doses.
Quote by GuitarMunky
you like how the the #5 note sounds over a natural 5? Why did you say to avoid it then?

It seems to me you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

I said not to hold it out for too long, and that it works best as a passing tone. This is the color I'm referring to.
Lydian Augmented would be interesting, but as said, you must be very careful with the way you use the #5. Only as a passing note, never linger on it.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Lydian Augmented would be interesting, but as said, you must be very careful with the way you use the #5. Only as a passing note, never linger on it.

I've actually written a few short passages in lydian augmented, and I find the raised fifth to be a very pleasing tone as long as a natural fifth is absent from the harmony. That said, it's almost certainly an acquired taste.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by GuitarMunky

right, but it does contain the 5th, and a person that thinks a standard Maj7th chord is a "weird chord"... probably isn't ready to be that tactful.

thanks..lol
The One You Call Daddy
It seems to me you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

I said not to hold it out for too long, and that it works best as a passing tone. This is the color I'm referring to.

No, im trying to see where your coming from. If you think that sounds good use it. I just don't think its the best suggestion for someone that doesnt know what a standard Maj7 chord is.

My suggestion: start with the obvious. When your ready for it, explore the rest.

Quote by Ice15
thanks..lol

sorry, I think an honest answer will do you more good.

If you were trying to teach a 1st grader about math, would you be throwing algebraic equations at them or simple addition and subtraction?

you give em the foundation they can build upon it. You give em the roof 1st..... watch it crash.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 25, 2008,
I was giving him a suggestion to explore; regardless of how obscure a concept it may be, maybe he'd like the sound of it.
Quote by GuitarMunky
sorry, I think an honest answer will do you more good.

My answer wasn't "honest" enough?
Last edited by :-D at Jun 25, 2008,
I was giving him a suggestion to explore; regardless of how obscure a concept it may be, maybe he'd like the sound of it.

My answer wasn't "honest" enough?

I wasn't referring to the honestly of your answer. I was referring to my honesty in saying the TS doesn't understand what a Maj7th chord is, and likely does not have the theory background to understand it. Im suggesting that he start with the obvious, and when he understands that ... explore more options.

I don't believe I quoted you when I said that did I?

edit: nope... see I was responding to the TS because he seemed offended.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
I wasn't referring to the honestly of your answer. I was referring to my honesty in saying the TS doesn't understand what a Maj7th chord is, and likely does not have the theory background to understand it. Im suggesting that he start with the obvious, and when he understands that ... explore more options.

I don't believe I quoted you when I said that did I?

edit: nope... see I was responding to the TS because he seemed offended.

I was confused because I thought you meant your answer suggesting scales was in some way more honest; I just misunderstood you.

In terms of theory study, yes start with the obvious; I wanted to make him aware of what I thought was an interesting sound.