This may offend some people, but hopefully it wont because i just want your opinions on the subject.

So during today's Big Brother (yes i watch it, it rocks some serious ****) i said to my mum 'have you ever noticed how Darnell looks a bit like an ape?' and she said it was a slightly racist remark. Darnell is albino and both his parents are black (i think) so obviously my mum thought it was a racist remark because he is black(but white). However, i purely said it based on what i think he looks like, if i saw a white person that looked like a shrew and said 'haha Nathan looks like a shrew' would that be racist? no. Is she being too politically correct? Did i make a racist remark? Does the fact he is albino change the comment at all?

She said that my comment had a racial undertone, which i can understand, but is it racist to make a remark about how one specific person looks? Its not like i was saying 'all black people look like apes' or saying it purely because he is black. Surely the fact that he is black shouldn't have had anything to do with my comment, and she just put the two together and labeled it a racial insult. The word 'racist' is a 'hatred or intolerance of other races' so surely my comment was not racist because there was no hatred or intolerance toward a race within the comment.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/housemates/profile.jsp?housemateId=236

(link to Darnell)
Big Brother thread?

EDIT: Though maybe not.

I don't think what you said was because of his race, you said it just because, although people will OBVIOUSLY take it as you being racist because people are rubbish.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
...I know I edited my post now
Quote by SteveHouse
Well it is a racist slang to call black people Monkeys. That's why it is negative. Also, Monkeys/Apes are considered substandard/unevolved forms of humans.

Clearly you didn't mean it in a racist way (I hope not) but I can see how it can be construed that way.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
But we are all from monkeys so surely just... ahhh forget it
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
I thought it was Porch Monkey that was racist?

nah we took it back
Quote by Twist of fate
I like playing twister with dead cats and old people
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
I thought it was Porch Monkey that was racist?

Randall took that back.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
my mum said the same thing its the way he walks nothing do with him being black/white
i call people porch monkeys all the time lol. If you take it racist, ur just afraid to admit it. haha
I think that you should be sensitive to what other people might interpret your comments as being. Technically you didn't mean it in a racist way or intend it to be seen as such, but some people might still be offended by it because of the context in which they're used to hearing things like that. Also, people who are less tolerant than you might pick up on it and laugh for the wrong reasons, which would be bad.

And anyway, if you can't say anything nice...
most of us black people don't like being associated with any kind of monkey.

but TS, i think that although i can see where your mum is coming from with what she said, she's only doing what the majority of people do at the moment because everyone seems so scared to possibly offend anyone. it's rediculous personally, if i'd been there when you said it i wouldn't have assumed you were being racist.

EDIT:

Quote by rigiddigits
Technically you didn't mean it in a racist way or intend it to be seen as such, but some people might still be offended by it because of the context in which they're used to hearing things like that.

I don't see why we should have to tread on eggshells everytime we open our mouths.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Last edited by twistedmaggot at Jun 25, 2008,
he does look like an ape, and your mom is just too politically correct. You where not being racist
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

I was thinking the same thing, because I was watching some cop show, and they broke into a house full of black guys smoking crack. They all tried to run away, and I said "haha, stupid blacks!" and my sister thought it was racist. But I wasn't saying all blacks are stupid, i was just saying how those particular people are stupid, and also happen to be black.

Quote by Bodom87
i call people porch monkeys all the time lol. If you take it racist, ur just afraid to admit it. haha

-________________-
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by Erik_Aero
I was thinking the same thing, because I was watching some cop show, and they broke into a house full of black guys smoking crack. They all tried to run away, and I said "haha, stupid blacks!" and my sister thought it was racist. But I wasn't saying all blacks are stupid, i was just saying how those particular people are stupid, and also happen to be black.

I'd assume that was racist if I was there
Quote by Erik_Aero

This probably won't go down too well but it's slightly offensive to say 'blacks'; it's not a noun, it's an adjective. 'Black people' instead. /pedanticism
Quote by twistedmaggot
most of us black people don't like being associated with any kind of monkey.

but TS, i think that although i can see where your mum is coming from with what she said, she's only doing what the majority of people do at the moment because everyone seems so scared to possibly offend anyone. it's rediculous personally, if i'd been there when you said it i wouldn't have assumed you were being racist.

EDIT:

I don't see why we should have to tread on eggshells everytime we open our mouths.

i dont think ANYONE likes being associated with any kind of monkey tbh

and i agree completely with everything in your post
Quote by Erik_Aero

Well... I don't know about that one...

But the TS wasn't being racist, at least IMO. I can see how a select few might interpret it as such, though.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Racist? No. Mean? IMO, yes.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
No. I believe it is racist.

This kid carried the features of either his parents or grandparents.

Albinism is not bestow the same qualities as race does. Those qualities did not evolve over time, shaping itself through environment dominated natural selection. To be albino means a genetic mutation made you lose all pigment in your skin, and any difference thereafter is probably surface damage from the sun + pigment loss.
Originally posted by Capua47:

Oh well if your from austrailia then grades shudn't matter considering your just gonna grow up to be ol' stevie erwin eh?!

Gear:
Schecter Omen-6
Peavey Valveking 212
Metal Muff
Metal Zone
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Last edited by listless at Jun 25, 2008,
I like being associated with monkeys. Hell, if I could move my toes like they would...DAMN, now who's the stud?
Well, most of Western Europe was proud of its heritage, and believed it was intrinsically superior to those they conquered (native americans, africans, etc.). It was the impetus for butchering the conquered as societies and as people.

Edit:

Whoa, that's some epic rationalization.

Oh well if your from austrailia then grades shudn't matter considering your just gonna grow up to be ol' stevie erwin eh?!

Gear:
Schecter Omen-6
Peavey Valveking 212
Metal Muff
Metal Zone
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Quote by listless
No. I believe it is racist.

The "albino" race did not evolve over time, shaping themselves through environment dominated natural selection. This kid carried the features of his parents or grandparents. To be albino means a genetic mutation made you lose all pigment in your skin, and any difference thereafter is probably surface damage from the sun + pigment loss.
It's not a race then is it? It's a congenital disorder that affects the way a person looks. To have a prejudice towards him or her for it isn't racist; but it is a bit fascist.

Edit: Hmm I reread your post, I think we're on the same side actually. It's hard to tell though
Yeah, my thoughts are non-linear. Apologies.

Gear:
Schecter Omen-6
Peavey Valveking 212
Metal Muff
Metal Zone
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Even if you didn't mean it to be racist, odds are the features that made you think he looked like an ape are features that are common to people of african descent. For example, a large flattened nose, or a slightly protruding jaw.