I am looking at this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-G-Sharp-Rack-Mount-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=183030

I am wondering how I go about using the separate effects on the unit. I would imagine I need to buy a midi foot controller. Do I have to program each effect for each button on the controller? Also, how does the controller connect to the effect box? Thanks.
The G Sharp is a nice little unit.

Basically you create a bunch of settings on the unit, and save it to a "patch". These are numbered (1-99 I think on the G-Sharp), so you can create that many different sounds or patches. There is a button on the unit that switches through these or you can do it with a midi foot controller. It connects via a standard midi cable to the back of the unit and you can assign patches from the uni to buttons on the controller.

The manual explains the exact process, but does this info help?

Cheers.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
I don't think the G-Sharp can recieve CC messages, which makes things difficult if not impossible. Unless you save each effect to a program (limited to one effect at a time!) then what you're saying isn't possible. Also what you want to do isn't really taking advantage of some brilliant MIDI capabilities. Save up a bit more and get a G-major.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jun 25, 2008,
Yeah the G-Sharp only allows 1 effect (chorus/delay/flange etc) and 1 reverb at once. It's a great entry level rack processor though.

The G-Major is slightly more costly but well worth it.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
I would like to learn more about this myself.
proud american
A floor controller transmits midi data in the form of several different types of messages. The most common from a guitarists perspective is the "Program Change" message. This message is transmitted on one or more of 16 channels. The Midi device at the receiving end uses that data to recall one of up to 128 saved presets based on what the "Program Change" number is. Each midi device sets up in a slightly different way (see each device's manual) so even though the data is universal, setup is not.

Let's say you have a midi preamp and you want to be able to recall three different tones, all you need to do is save those setting within the preamp (usually very easy to do) to three different program change numbers and then send those numbers to the preamp with a floor controller (usually very easy to do as well). You can keep this going until you have 128 (the maximum allowed per channel) different preamp tones to choose from.

Then things can get a bit more complicated. Let's say you add an effects processor into the mix, at that point you can try to set both the preamp and the processor to respond to the same PC#, which might work if you are using only a few tones and/or effects, or you can set them on different channels (of which there are 16). At this point you can set your floor controller (assuming it's capable enough) to send two different PC#'s on two different channels therefore allowing the full array of effects from the processor and the full array of tones (up to 128 each) to be freely picked as desired, just set your controller up to recall what you need when you need it (again, usually very easy to do).

You can keep this going until you have numerous Midi devices operating on numerous channels, but that's only the beginning. Let's say you have a wah effect in your rack processor and your controller has an expression pedal. You can set up a "Control Change" number (1-128) within any PC# that has it's own individual value (again 1-128). At that point the pedal will transmit data from 1-128 depending upon position on (hypothetically) CC#34 under PC#6 on Channel 3, or on (again hypothetically) CC#121 under PC#44 on Channel 15, or however else you would want to set it up.

Midi possibilities within the scope of a guitar rig are virtually endless and limited only by your imagination. Right now I'm running a Rocktron All Access floor controller with an expression pedal that controls an 8 loop switching system, my amp channel, and two effects processors (a G Major and a Kaoss Pad), but I also have a touchpad in my guitar that allows the Kaoss pad to send CC# information to control additional parameters in the G Major for certain presets. The whole rig can be set up/torn down in less than 5 minutes and setting up a new preset from scratch takes only a couple of minutes.

Midi really is an outstanding thing to work with and is significantly easier and more intuitive than a lot of internet hearsay would have you believe. Just stick to the manuals and use some common sense.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
yea basically you program the rack module how you want it to react to each specefic putting/data line from the control button.

while we are on the subject, whats the major difference between the G-Major and M-Minor?
sounds fairly similar or is one better?