Hi!

My theory teeth has been really bored lately, because i dunno what should i learn!
here's some stuff I already know:

Maj. min. dom. dim, augment 7, 9, 11, 13 and of course power chords
I know major, minor, harmonic minor, blues major, blues pent., pent major, pent minor, diminished whole, diminished half -scales from every key

I know all the major modes ionian, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian and locrian

I know alot chord progressions, cool arpeggios and stuff like that.

Now there are the first ones that came in my head, but i want to learn more, ALOT more could some one post some links where are some free advanced theory lessons or stuff like that or recommend me what should I learn next?

-cheers
鋼の錬金術師
I'd recommend getting the Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine and treating it like it's the Bible.
Read the theory link in my signature. It goes into more advanced topics than you said you know and explains how simple topics work, making sure you have a solid foundation.
Ya that is a really good theory lesson but I have studied already couple times. well I'll read it anyway again thanks.

Quote by severed-metal
Why don't you start teaching other people for money?

That has come in my mind couple times but unfortunately I live in Finland and know my guitar theory most in english language, It isn't really a big deal but I think I would just confuse them more then giving them valid answers
鋼の錬金術師
Do you actually know the theory behind all of those things, or do you just know box shapes and a few fingerings?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Do you actually know the theory behind all of those things, or do you just know box shapes and a few fingerings?

I know the box shapes, but I'm common with the notes of the scales also
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by Punkismygod
I know the box shapes, but I'm common with the notes of the scales also
Okay, so you don't know the theory. That's okay; read my sig.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Okay, so you don't know the theory. That's okay; read my sig.

Please tell me what you mean I am doing wrong. Clock is 3 am here so I'll read the link tomorrow.
edit: or atleast the part in the link where i should improve

I don't fing get this everything in that lesson isn't anything new I dont know what my problem is now?
鋼の錬金術師
Last edited by Punkismygod at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by Punkismygod
I don't fing get this everything in that lesson isn't anything new I dont know what my problem is now?
Perhaps you do know baisc theory, but you probably don't know about modes of the melodic and harmonic minor scales.

Regardless, make sure you understand the basic parts.
Ur right about that I don't know modes of the melodic and harmonic minor scales, lol I totally forgot about that, well thank you to have something to work with
鋼の錬金術師
Well, if you only know basic stuff about those topics, and patterns, etc, learn them more profundly maybe, like the foundations of them, you know, kind of like maths...
Then maybe learn more about western music, like rhythm, cadences, counterpoint, etc...

Then maybe study other types of music, maybe Eastern, medieval, ecclesiastic, celtic, etc and the history of them....

I don't know, there are certainly other topics in Jazz for instance that deal with more amounts of theory too...
If you know roman numeral analysis, I suggest you start doing some analysis. If you already know all the fundamentals then you can also start looking into the more advanced topics of musical form and counterpoint.