Okay so i think i am close to understanding modes.

Unlike most noobs who think just knowing the scale positions of modes is "knowing them" i am trying to learn completely their understanding, how to use them, etc.

So if i make a progression of A to Bmin to E

Could i play dorian or mixolydian?

Im not sure, because i thought if the first interval was used (A) than whatever i played would sound happy and technically be Ionian.

So how would i go about writing a progression in A, to play Dorian in, which would be B Dorian?
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Please read up to (but not including!) modes in the theory link in my sig. It is imperative that we are on the same page.

Please ask questions about whatever you don't get.
So if i make a progression of A to Bmin to E

Could i play dorian or mixolydian?
Yes. While a simple way to play over that progression would be to use A major, you could also follow the chords with A ionian, B dorian and E mixolydian.

So how would i go about writing a progression in A, to play Dorian in, which would be B Dorian?
A very simple dorian vamp is i - IV7, so for B dorian that is Bm E7.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Ok, well i understood that i could play any of those aforementioned modes in that progression, but could you explain to me how chords have power ratings (well thats what my teacher called them) Basically the rating went :

1>6>2>5

So with A- Bmin- E, if i played the A chord, than dorian and mixolydian would just sound like ionian.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Ok, well i understood that i could play any of those aforementioned modes in that progression, but could you explain to me how chords have power ratings (well thats what my teacher called them) Basically the rating went :

1>6>2>5

So with A- Bmin- E, if i played the A chord, than dorian and mixolydian would just sound like ionian.

Well, my view of modes differs from Prime's, and I'd argue this: because you're hearing everything as it relates to your tonal center, it just sounds like you're playing A major because you're only playing A major.
Quote by :-D
Well, my view of modes differs from Prime's, and I'd argue this: because you're hearing everything as it relates to your tonal center, it just sounds like you're playing A major because you're only playing A major.
Right. Prime's going to want to talk about what happens over each chord, but that's not necessary yet.

So when you play over A Bm E, you're going to play the notes A B C# D E F# G#. It does not matter where you play the notes; position is never relevant when discussing scales, as the same lick can be played elsewhere or on another instrument. When you play those notes over that progression, you are not playing G# Locrian or C# Phrygian. You are only playing the A major scale.
Ok, so if im playing the A major scale, it would sound like B dorian when the Bmin chord is played?

I think im getting this mixed up.

My teacher was right, just when you think youre getting modes, they bite you in the ass.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Ok, so if im playing the A major scale, it would sound like B dorian when the Bmin chord is played?

It's debated constantly. I say no (as do a few others), but some people contend that you're playing B Dorian. And don't worry, modes can be very confusing and you'll get a lot of conflicting views on here.

MT + modes =
I just keep telling myself that all of this is so AMAZING. Like all of this was figured out by people, and that is really is all theory (hence music theory) like none of it can really be proven.

I jus think its insane of how everything relates, for example.

How the major scale makes up all the chords you could play in a progression, etc.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
and that is really is all theory (hence music theory) like none of it can really be proven.

Nitpicking: A theory is an explanation for a phenomenon, not a guess (in science, it is an explanation for a phenomenon that is overwhelmingly supported by existing evidence. It is the end-product of science) It's called music theory because it describes music. The point isn't to prove anything. Modes are the way they are because we say they are.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Modes are the way they are because we say they are.

No i agree with you, thats what i was trying to get at in the first place, all MT is made up by us.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR

1>6>2>5

I've never seen that power rating, but it seems like its about how stable the chords are or their tendancy to move in a progression.
I and vi are the tonic chords and have the least tendancy to move
IV and ii are pre-dominant chords which tend to move to dominant chords
V and viio are dominant chords which tend to move (strongly) to tonic chords

I would also class iii as a dominant chord, as it is the v of vi.

If that makes no sense, this might clear it up
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394618
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
It's debated constantly. I say no (as do a few others), but some people contend that you're playing B Dorian. And don't worry, modes can be very confusing and you'll get a lot of conflicting views on here.

MT + modes =

I agree, because the tonal center is still around A.

MT + modes =
I like the debates, because I understand both sides.

To T/S. If you want to understand modes completely, try to understand every view point. I've heard that theres six (five?) common ones, but I only know of 3 (the two mentioned and pitch axis).