So I've got a few different axes and I'm noticing some string tension differences that are weird in my mind. We'll be using GHS Boomers size .009-.042 on all axes here. So here is the control of the experiment: A Fender MIM 21 fret strat. Most of us know how they feel, the strings are nice and loose, you can bend quite nice and have good vibrato on the strings. The other two axes are an Ibanez RG4EXQM1 and a Dean Vendetta 3.0. The Ibanez is a bolt on 24 fret neck with an Edge III (I learned to tame it, twas a bitch though). The Dean is a 24 fret neck thru, string through the body. The Ibanez has tight strings at correct tunings, with a completely flat and straight fret board. Not uncomfortably tight but, you know, Ibanez tight. The Dean however has a slight bow in the neck toward the bridge, very slight, but the strings are as loose as the Fender! I'm in the same key tuning on all three, the fender, the Ibanez and the Dean, same amount of frets, (except the Fender obviously) extremely close on the scale length neck (once again, Fender Excluded). What is making the strings less tight? I know its a shorter neck that does it for the Fender, but what about the Dean? I'm a bit baffled! A three are a true joy to play, but with the same frets and scale length, why is there a difference in the string tension on the Ibanez vs the Dean?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
i was wondering about this also. one of my cheap guitars is a jackson copy and my friends les paul copy have loose strings, meaning i can bend strings with ease. but with my Ibanez RG, it's difficult for me to do those bends. i use the same gauge for all, 10-46.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
i was wondering about this also. one of my cheap guitars is a jackson copy and my friends les paul copy have loose strings, meaning i can bend strings with ease. but with my Ibanez RG, it's difficult for me to do those bends. i use the same gauge for all, 10-46.

Based on this I am throwing 2 more guitars into the experiment. A Jackson ps3t Randy Rhoads, a 22 fret bolt on with the slimest neck I own, very slight bow toward the trem. And a 1987 B.C. Rich Ironbird, with a 24 fret neck with a very slight bow toward the trem. Both have LFRs. These two do not have the looseness of the Dean, or the Fender, and not as tight as the Ibanez, but in between! The Ironbird has more looseness than the Jackson though! I will say though that the strings on the Jackson need replaced, they are old. What is going on?

EDIT: I am not knocking any brand, as you can see my collection is eclectic rock guitars. I just wanna know why there is such a difference in lets see 5 different brands?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Jun 25, 2008,