Do you ever hear a really great song or solo and say to yourself "I gotta learn that!"? and then you get to the tabs, pick up your guitar, scan through the song and then pick the first few notes of the solo, realizing how long it took you just to memorize the first bit? and then you notice that the solo is fairly long it could take you hours just to memorize the notes, let alone playing it up to speed?

I've been experiencing that for a few songs recently (especially little wing) and was wondering what you do when you might experiences this "learning block"
yes but i'm not gay about it. just learn the damned thing. it takes long. whateverz.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i usually have the opposite happen, where i'll pick up a song really fast then in a couple of days forget how to play it

What I do for songs that are either reallly really hard or long is just spread it out by learning a new part each day until i get it all or sometimes just learn part of it and then go back and finish learning the rest a wk or two later ... months later
just take it section by section. i jsut work in measures and keep doing it till i get it down right. yeah it takes a while, but who said it would be easy?
NOPE
I know what you mean, but i love the time practicing, I have the Epitaph tab book from Necrophagist, and trut me im going crazy about playing it correctly and in timing
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
or if you have an amazing grasp on the music theory and figure out the key and all the scales used in the solo or something
Quote by Nakon14
just take it section by section. i jsut work in measures and keep doing it till i get it down right. yeah it takes a while, but who said it would be easy?

Yeah i guess I''m just getting a little lazy, but it still makes me frustrated when you get a song that never repeats (little wing) and just has something about it that makes you forget what you just played 3 seconds ago.
Quote by sg_player
or if you have an amazing grasp on the music theory and figure out the key and all the scales used in the solo or something

Knowing music theory doesn't make you know every song....
I seem to memorize the stuff easily, but it takes time not to be sloppy and up to speed. Whenever I get stuck, I play videogames, watch TV, something, and play again the next day.
what i also find that helps a lot is if youve got a song that you really want to learn, listen to it A LOT. that way youll eventually be instinctively humming the different parts and learnign it wont be as tedious
NOPE
Quote by Nakon14
what i also find that helps a lot is if youve got a song that you really want to learn, listen to it A LOT. that way youll eventually be instinctively humming the different parts and learnign it wont be as tedious

I have an ear bud playing the song im trying to learn.

That way you learn in the correct tempo, find out what parts you cant do that fast and focus on those parts.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Nakon14

Yeah i have been doing that with little wing... I'm gunna listen to that song more the jimi listened to it.
Quote by sg_player
or if you have an amazing grasp on the music theory
and figure out the key and all the scales used in the solo or something

I don't know **** about theory and I can tell you what key almost any given song is in.... you need good ears, not a knowledge of theory.

Anyway, if it's within my genre, or close, I can usually identify certain movements or licks in the solos, and kinda fiddle around with the parts I don't know until I figure them out. I can figure out a good majority of rock, blues, and country solos just because of my qualitative knowledge of the music, without knowing much theory.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Split it up into sections, if you try to do too many sections at once you'll forget the other bits you learned. That part that took you so long to learn, can you do it all at once? Practice that for the next few days till it becomes one of those things you can do without even thinking about, then move on to the next bit.

Practice it in sections, then just connect them once you have all the bits down.