Im thinking about getting a Screamin' Demon, but i dont really know much about what pickups have what tone. I play anywhere from Zeppelin to Metallica, and im looking for a bridge pickup.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
>_>
please
i dont want to hear this again, just stick with the question.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
my dads a retard and i prob wont be able to get a new amp for a while anyways, so recommend pups for now till i can get a new amp.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
I prob could save up for a new amp, but my fathers a idiot and thinks he knows everything about amps because he played longggggg ago >_>, so yeah , i wont be able to get a new amp for a while.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by forsaknazrael
I wouldn't even worry about pickups right now. Won't make a significant difference through your amp.

Why not just save up and get yourself a Traynor YCV50?

+ 1000000
Don't be an idiot TS. We are saying this for your own good.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
buy it without your fathers permission, lol

the closest store is about a half hour maybe a little less and my mother wouldnt take me in there she would get my father to.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Though of looking at the DiMarzio ToneZone? Theyre really versatile in the bridge position, have balanaced mids and have plenty o'grit when you drive them the mid control is important when you're switching between those two genres. Metallica tends to be scooped mids, although Hammets beginning to fill his out now, But certainly Page is know for his mass of midrange and the singing les paul.
If you are using a solid state amp then you will want to stick with vintage output pickups. Zep used a tele for most recordings but the stage guitar had PAF's. Metalica used PAF's and a Dimarzio super distortion. Because you have a solid state amp I'd stay away from the super distortion and just go with a PAF. Your guitar already has a modern version of the PAF but if you are dead set on changing then you should get something with plane enamel wire and an alnico 5 magnet. This will give you more bite and a thicker midrange than what your current bridge pickup has got. The cheapest pickup that meets the specs I just listed is the Seymour Duncan 59. Duncan's 59 isn't the best PAF out there but it is the most bang for your buck.

I actually think that a better option for you would to get a good EQ pedal like one of the 7 or 10 band MRX pedals. A good compressor like the 3 knob sigma comp from www.cmatmods.com could also be a good investment for you. Either of these would change your tone more than new pickups.

and the pickups on your guitar are actually quite good. Most Zeppelin recordings were done with a tele and most of their stage stuff was done with PAF's. Metalica used PAF's and Super Distortions so
Not taking any online orders.
uhh Tallica used EMG's...

Kirk had an '81 in the Bridge and Neck, James had an '81 in the bridge and '60 in the neck..

Unless your talking about their newer songs in which case I couldn't tell ya
Last edited by SamZee at Jun 26, 2008,
^They started using active pickups around the time they started using ESP guitars. Even then they swapped pickups out all the time. Sometimes a guitar would have EMG's and sometimes it wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that they didn't use active pickups at all on Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, or Master of Puppets
^He didn't start using EMG's untill he was Touring that album.

"I started using EMGs on the 'Ride the Lightning' Tour. They attracted me because of their tight low end." Guitar World, October 1991
dont listen to those meat holes about your amp,...maybe you like it,..you asked about a pickup...a simple / easy try is to put a neck pick up in the bridge position for solid state amps,..it wont cost ya anything but a set of strings and some time,..or,..if that dosent tickle your fancy

i think your on the right track with the paf or the demon...niether are high output pick ups,...drop sonic might be a good option for you as well,...i would suggest taking that 1/2 mile hike to the music store and trying out different guitars with different pick ups though an amp just like yours,.....then make your choice on what sounds best to you.

this would be an excellent forum if it werent for the 99% band wagon bashers who think there boosting there UG value by bashing someones equipment
Quote by KennySG
my dads a retard and i prob wont be able to get a new amp for a while anyways, so recommend pups for now till i can get a new amp.

What's the point wasting what little money you have then? A pickups going to make sod all difference, it's certainly not going to get you any closer to the tones you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jessexxx
this would be an excellent forum if it werent for the 99% band wagon bashers who think there boosting there UG value by bashing someones equipment

It's not bandwagoning. Get outta here. We're trying to help him make a wise investment - we're not bashing his equipment. A pickup swap would be a poor choice and a waste of money.
Quote by jessexxx
dont listen to those meat holes about your amp,...maybe you like it,..you asked about a pickup...a simple / easy try is to put a neck pick up in the bridge position for solid state amps,..it wont cost ya anything but a set of strings and some time,..or,..if that dosent tickle your fancy

I make my living selling pickups and I still don't think a new pickup is best for him. I agree that often times people on this forum are too quick to say get a new amp, but I also think that most people looking for new pickups don't really need new picku ps. Compressor pedals and EQ pedals can do amazing things for your tone and as a guy who makes pickups for a living, I can honestly say that pickups are not the right way to go.
+1

The humble EQ pedal is the most powerful, yet most overlooked piece of equipment available to a guitarist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I don't know if you did, but try a metal muff at GC. It took my tone from suck (onboard spider) to something of 1/2way decent status. I think if your dieing to get more tone, another pedal is the way to go. I personally never liked the DS-2, but if your happy with it then great. I would try a metal muff w/ top boost or a metal zone if you like Boss pedals.