Could someone inform me of why "professional" music artist's use In-ears live?

Also, if someone could tell me wtf they do, that would also be great

P.S.
I googled, and I didn't understand anything I read.
In ear monitors. It lets them hear their instrument as well as the others mixed right so that they stay in time, etc. Monitors are usually found in the form of wedge shaped amps at the front of the stage.
Quote by saxaxe
In ear monitors. It lets them hear their instrument as well as the others mixed right so that they stay in time, etc. Monitors are usually found in the form of wedge shaped amps at the front of the stage.

Aah, ok. So In-ears are pretty much the monitors, but the sound goes straight in your ears, cutting out the crowd and such?

If so, how does the band hear the crowd and interact etc?
nobody uses the wedge tv monitors anymore
its basically a metronome and they go in the ear so you cant hear anything else
Quote by k4rma
Aah, ok. So In-ears are pretty much the monitors, but the sound goes straight in your ears, cutting out the crowd and such?

They usually set up mics to pick up the crowd and put that into the mix that is going out of the in-ear monitors.
Quote by k4rma

well when you have headphones on, you can still hear outside of them. They're not completely noise-canceling.
Alrighty, sweet! Thanks guys! I now understand the gist of In-ears!
Quote by gnpwdrtreason
nobody uses the wedge tv monitors anymore
its basically a metronome and they go in the ear so you cant hear anything else

quite a few people do use wedge monitors, and it's nothing like a metronome, although sometimes the drummer will have a click track piped into his.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm