Anyone here think that playing Guitar Hero 3 or Rock Band on expert modes would help your speed work for real guitar playing?

EDIT: I don't have GH3 or Rock Band btw.
Last edited by Fender_Fever at Jun 25, 2008,
i can do trills, hammer ons, pull offs, and gallops alot better now. playing raining blood all the time will help a bit haha
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
coordination-wise you mean? possibly. but it wouldn't necesscarily help with fast pull-off stuff because you're not recreating the technique.
Omg, Tell Me You"re Not being Serious Asking A Question Like That.
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
sorry man hate to tell you this but it doesn't work for speed
practice will help your speed
get a fast song
play it slowly until you master it and then slowly build its speed
best way to build speed
Dick+strings= owww
Nope, the techniques required look and seem similar, but comparing them directly you will find fundamental differences in both the picking and fretting aspects. All you'll get from playing GH3 or Rock Band that will possibly help you on real guitar are stronger fingers/hands/wrists.
Quote by subopolois
you lazy cheap bastard

Gear:
ESP LTD M-50
Marshall G80RCD
Boss ME-50
Ernie Ball STHB

Kill Crazy of the Red Dwarf Smeg Heads!
maybe, but it would turn u into a fag in the process
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
itll help your finger strength and dexterity, but not as much as actually playing guitar will... muscle development and memory is better when you are doing the actual function over and over though, so really playing guitar would be better.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
My God, what is with the people capitalizing the first letter of every word? That **** does NOT look neater than a correctly written paragraph.

To OP: The only things I could possibly see related are that it may help with hand/eye coordination.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by applejohnnyseed
I find it worsens my playing

true. i played GH3 for a long time. and when i finaly got back to my playing. i coulndt do alot of stuff i used to be able to do
Why ask a question like that? Even if it did, would u play guitar hero more to get better a real guitar? Quit wasting ur time and learn the real deal not a lame substitute (not saying gh sux here)
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
from that angle you look like my girfriend.
I find it helps me, I actually like the game. Helps my hand/eye coordination, which sucks. And what I really like is when my bro is playing the song and I play it with him on my guitar.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
i hear learning to do expert drums on rock band is a good start to playing real drums
I don't know but if you want to experiment, use Rock Band. The guitar feels more like a real guitar then Guitar Hero
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Why does everyone insist on typing in all caps? It's funny that the site won't let you.

GH and other guitar simulators will help your dexterity, there's no doubting it. Actual guitar technique? Probably not. But your fingers will be faster and stronger.
_______
|||||||||||||||
No. It's a video game, that's all. Has nothing to do with actually playing guitar.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
you do realize that theres been several threads on this....

and TS- no. guitar hero or rock band will definately not improve your musical skill in any way, other than maybe keeping rhythm?...
Whenever I play GH, the rhythm of the son doesn't correspond to the buttons, i dunno if its because its on easy or medium difficulty but it definately hasn't helped me

Just play real guitar
Quote by Serpeth
Sometimes I take all my clothes off and pretend I'm a velociraptor and pounce upon my roommate's desk as would a ferocious bloodthirsty velociraptor, knocking over his lamp with my semi-erect penis. And then I drink apple juice.