Hey,

Ok, today my band bought an MXL MXL 990/991 Mic package that comes with M-Audio Buddy. We also bought a boom-stand. We are planning to buy a Line 6 Toneport UX2. We can't decide on whether we should use the M-Audio Buddy with the Toneport or not. What do you suggest? Will is sound better, the same, or worse.

When we get the UX2 we will use the Ableton Live Lite to record and also Gearbox. Are these good programs? Are they user-friendly?

Also I was wondering how we could record drums with these mics? Any tips would be great!!

Thanks.
Obama '08
What budget are we looking at?

if you get the UX2 you don't need any other pieces of hardware since it has phantom power for the MXL condenser mics. If you get the UX1 you need the audio buddy to run between the interface and mic since this interface doesn't have phantom power on board.

I suggest looking into Firewire or USB 2,0 interfaces though since the Toneports are only 1.1 USB.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio-page2.htm

You should use at least 2 of the same mics for overheads when recording drums. Two MXL 991s will work ok. However at least 4 mics in my mind is the better choice....a full drum mic set would be even better but at that point you are looking into tracking a lot of mics.

If you plan on recording drums I highly suggest a larger interface from the start such as the PreSonus FP10 which will work great with a drum mic set later on.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 26, 2008,
Well, the UX2 is not really that good sound quality wise, but the audio buddy will make your sound slightly warmer and nicer. You'll probably need TRS-XLR cables, since most microphone preamps have 1/4" outs. There really wasn't a need for it, but it's not a deal breaker to have (sometimes it's nice to have a variety of colors for your palette). Better deals can be found with Mackies, M-audios, and Presonus's offerings IMHO. Since you'll be doing drums, I suggest going with Firewire, since you'll be balancing lots of tracks at once.
Ableton LE is perfectly fine, but keep in mind that if you want to record drums with individual tracks, you'll have to get the full version as the light one only supports two at a time. Perhaps Tracktion's a better place to start. It comes with a good suite of plugins anyway (for the $250 Ultimate version).
As for drums, I doubt only having two microphones will do it, especially two different ones. I can't help you there as I haven't had personal experience (moody does).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Jun 26, 2008,
hey i bought that same deal off of Musiciansfriend...

the mics are pretty good. The audiobuddy is kind of crappy, but better than nothing.

Assuming you've only got 2 inputs, you'll want to use the mics as a stereo pair for your drums.

You can use either for vocals. I think the 990 is better though.

Dont use any condensor mics on your guitars unless you want to break them. Use a dynamic mic

Bass - just plug into the Audio Buddy and you'll be set
Quote by moody07747
What budget are we looking at?

if you get the UX2 you don't need any other pieces of hardware since it has phantom power for the MXL condenser mics. If you get the UX1 you need the audio buddy to run between the interface and mic since this interface doesn't have phantom power on board.

I suggest looking into Firewire or USB 2,0 interfaces though since the Toneports are only 1.1 USB.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio-page2.htm

You should use at least 2 of the same mics for overheads when recording drums. Two MXL 991s will work ok. However at least 4 mics in my mind is the better choice....a full drum mic set would be even better but at that point you are looking into tracking a lot of mics.

If you plan on recording drums I highly suggest a larger interface from the start such as the PreSonus FP10 which will work great with a drum mic set later on.

^ Nailed it.

As for the programs Ableton is great for emp, not great as a sequencer. It depends what you mean by user friendly, I'm always suprised to see how many people really struggle with Ableton Live. It is different to alot of programs in many ways, but you really can't get into the swing of just being able to operate the really generic aspects that are consistant among different generic programs, you've gotta learn how to adapt yourself to every program that you come into contact with, this involves thinking, and not relying on routines and habits.
I'd invest in a better audio interface than the UX1 or 2. Look for something firewire with 4 inputs at least (check out PreSonus, M-Audio, etc), esp if you're serious about recording drums.

The 990/991 works well for acoustic guitar and vocals. Pick up a Shure SM57 (or 2) for micing guitar cabs. Like mentioned above DI the bass guitar. I recommend Helians 2nd VST plugin for fattening a bass track (I love this plugin).

The audio buddy is nice to have, but you spend your money wisely you'll end up with an interface that has better preamps.

EDIT: For software check out anything in the Cakewalk line. I use Music Creator which is $40.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic