Hey

I have a squier '51 and I was looking into getting a tremolo for it.
How much will it cost and where should I take it to get it installed.

squier '51

Thanks
just get a better guitar. yours isn't terrible but it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
It all depends on what kind of tremolo you want a locking or non-locking, you should research what you would want. I would suggest a Schaller liscensed floyd rose, or an original floy rose, but thats my preference and thats what it boils down to. I myself would charge $150 for a full floyd rose install, and thats a pretty standard price for most people, that is not including the parts it self though which you have to take into account, a good locking trem will run you about $225. So look into it before you take the plunge.
You could buy a Strat?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
I have an epi les paul,
so buying another guitar would be kind of cluttering.
I probably couldn't get much money by selling this,
so thats pretty much out of the question.
This was more for making a fun custom guitar; something a little different.

And what about a bigsby?
no routing = cheaper installation?
Last edited by ryan103 at Jun 26, 2008,
probably. look up a couple different trems, price them out, and pitch it up here, we'd probably be able to help more if we knew a range, experience, etc.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
probably. look up a couple different trems, price them out, and pitch it up here, we'd probably be able to help more if we knew a range, experience, etc.

I've been playing for a couple years, so I guess I'm alright.
I surely am not anything close to perfection,
I would pay no more than $100-ish

I like the fact that with the bigsby models there is no routing necessary,
so I am leaning towards them.

hope it helps you all help me

*i would need a new bridge if i go Bigsby. Any recommendations?*
Last edited by ryan103 at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by ryan103
I've been playing for a couple years, so I guess I'm alright.
I surely am not anything close to perfection,
I would pay no more than $100-ish

I like the fact that with the bigsby models there is no routing necessary,
so I am leaning towards them.

hope it helps you all help me

*i would need a new bridge if i go Bigsby. Any recommendations?*

Well, if you really want a guitar with a trem and pretty well like the look and feel of your current stuff, you COULD buy a squier bullet, it's a given you'd have to replace all the electronics for any amount of quality, but the trem system is pretty solid(Hint: buy new springs, the stock ones won't compress very well, feel isn't right).
You could get a GFS prewired HSS pickguard(squier bullet w/ tremolo is routed HSS anyway, and is also solid basswood, really a deal in the price range) , take out those single coils, buy a set of overwound pups, replace the SS on the HSS, use the remaining one on your '51, and you've added some quality to your existing guitars as well.
Then ebay the stock squier sets and the GFS single coils. Should recoup some cash.

Fact is, your needs don't seem to require a floyd, the only problem is your current guitars don't have any kind of routing for trem systems.
Bigsbys are nice, but they can't really do upbends, and the price, IMO is pretentious.
Much better suited for an archtop (semi) hollowbody than a les paul.
You've also failed to metion what model of epiphone les paul.
WHat is it?
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
The best idea would be to get a non-locking tremolo like the ones that come standard on most strats. the hardware itself runs from $25 for a basic trem up to $100+ for an actual Fender trem. click here for some cheap (in price not quality) trems:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/tremelos.html
Quote by Iansmitchell
Well, if you really want a guitar with a trem and pretty well like the look and feel of your current stuff, you COULD buy a squier bullet, it's a given you'd have to replace all the electronics for any amount of quality, but the trem system is pretty solid(Hint: buy new springs, the stock ones won't compress very well, feel isn't right).
You could get a GFS prewired HSS pickguard(squier bullet w/ tremolo is routed HSS anyway, and is also solid basswood, really a deal in the price range) , take out those single coils, buy a set of overwound pups, replace the SS on the HSS, use the remaining one on your '51, and you've added some quality to your existing guitars as well.
Then ebay the stock squier sets and the GFS single coils. Should recoup some cash.

Fact is, your needs don't seem to require a floyd, the only problem is your current guitars don't have any kind of routing for trem systems.
Bigsbys are nice, but they can't really do upbends, and the price, IMO is pretentious.
Much better suited for an archtop (semi) hollowbody than a les paul.
You've also failed to metion what model of epiphone les paul.
WHat is it?

That is a great idea.
I see what you are sayin.
But I saw that the bullet was discontinued as well as the '51.
The website I saw said used '51s go for $150-200
(thats more than I paid for it!)

and the Bigsbys do upbends (i checked the website and thats what it says from what I understand)

http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/products_b5.html

And its the epiphone les paul standard (ebony)
It was like $329.99 or something like that if it helps.
Quote by ryan103
That is a great idea.
I see what you are sayin.
But I saw that the bullet was discontinued as well as the '51.
The website I saw said used '51s go for $150-200
(thats more than I paid for it!)

and the Bigsbys do upbends (i checked the website and thats what it says from what I understand)

http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/products_b5.html

And its the epiphone les paul standard (ebony)
It was like $329.99 or something like that if it helps.

Actually the bullet wasn't discontinued.
It was redesigned.
Good thing, the old hardtail/plywood bullets sucked.
The post '07 ones have tremolos, stable tuning, solid basswood bodies.
Really, only downside is electronics, very solid axe, especially for 100 bucks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Bullet-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=517304
^ see? no discontinued.

Well, yeah, the do up"bends", it's more like a "shimmer" then a radical bend, like, maybe a quarter step up. If you bend to high, the spring becomes a projectile(guess how I know this).

Oh, I was just making sure it wasn't a flat top les paul like the special II, or a bolt on liek the LP-100. THose wouldn't be worth putting a bigsby on.

Okay. B-5 IS NOT the right bigsby for an archtop les paul. You need a B-7. B-5s are for juniors, melody makers, SGs, and occasionally telecasters. B-7s are for les pauls, Es-335s, etc.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
If you could do the routing yourself its possible you could put a fender style or wilkinson in a guitar for your budget of 100 dollars. But if you want a FR, kahler etc now way you will do it for that price. And if you gotta pay somebody to do the routing be a budget buster to. The bigsby is more of a vibrato than a wammy bar. Your not going to be able to pull hendrix drops or dimebag squeals with it. Way better of to find a guitar with the wammy you want.
Quote by Iansmitchell
Actually the bullet wasn't discontinued.
It was redesigned.
Good thing, the old hardtail/plywood bullets sucked.
The post '07 ones have tremolos, stable tuning, solid basswood bodies.
Really, only downside is electronics, very solid axe, especially for 100 bucks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Bullet-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=517304
^ see? no discontinued.

Well, yeah, the do up"bends", it's more like a "shimmer" then a radical bend, like, maybe a quarter step up. If you bend to high, the spring becomes a projectile(guess how I know this).

Oh, I was just making sure it wasn't a flat top les paul like the special II, or a bolt on liek the LP-100. THose wouldn't be worth putting a bigsby on.

Okay. B-5 IS NOT the right bigsby for an archtop les paul. You need a B-7. B-5s are for juniors, melody makers, SGs, and occasionally telecasters. B-7s are for les pauls, Es-335s, etc.

I wasnt looking to put the bigsby on the les paul.
I was looking to put one on the squier '51.

haha
thanks for the projectile info
Quote by Tackleberry
If you could do the routing yourself its possible you could put a fender style or wilkinson in a guitar for your budget of 100 dollars. But if you want a FR, kahler etc now way you will do it for that price. And if you gotta pay somebody to do the routing be a budget buster to. The bigsby is more of a vibrato than a wammy bar. Your not going to be able to pull hendrix drops or dimebag squeals with it. Way better of to find a guitar with the wammy you want.

Thanks for the clarification with how the bigsby works!
Quote by ryan103
I wasnt looking to put the bigsby on the les paul.
I was looking to put one on the squier '51.

haha
thanks for the projectile info

Well, three things to watch for doing a bigsby on the squier '51:
A. You'll have to buy a bridge, too. A roller TOM will cost you another 30 bucks on top of the bigsby, plus extra routing.
B. Going from A string through bridge to a surface mount bridge will KILL your sustain. One of the reasons a bigsby on a telecaster is a crime against nature.
C. The look, is not natural, and the feel likely won't be either.

Haha.
No prob, happy to give fair warning.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Well, three things to watch for doing a bigsby on the squier '51:
A. You'll have to buy a bridge, too. A roller TOM will cost you another 30 bucks on top of the bigsby, plus extra routing.
B. Going from A string through bridge to a surface mount bridge will KILL your sustain. One of the reasons a bigsby on a telecaster is a crime against nature.
C. The look, is not natural, and the feel likely won't be either.

Haha.
No prob, happy to give fair warning.

Thank you so much.
I have learned one lesson:
Save money, have someone else do it, and buy a floyd rose
Quote by ryan103
Thank you so much.
I have learned one lesson:
Save money, have someone else do it, and buy a floyd rose

Good job man.

I still kinda wanna suggest getting the bullet sine your other fender is in the shop for a good week atleast(if you've got a good guy, man, an intonation will take that much, they're maticulate, respectful, and quite often, BUSY. Had a bone nut put in, missing my dot for 3 weeks, but the action, intonation, look, everything perfect)
That way you can have another fender to keep around, and a tremolo bar to get used to.
Also, fun project for when you get a little more coin.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Good job man.

I still kinda wanna suggest getting the bullet sine your other fender is in the shop for a good week atleast(if you've got a good guy, man, an intonation will take that much, they're maticulate, respectful, and quite often, BUSY. Had a bone nut put in, missing my dot for 3 weeks, but the action, intonation, look, everything perfect)
That way you can have another fender to keep around, and a tremolo bar to get used to.
Also, fun project for when you get a little more coin.

ya
they are like dirt cheap
$100!
Thanks for all of your help
Quote by ryan103
ya
they are like dirt cheap
$100!
Thanks for all of your help

Yeah, they really are, I'm almost certain fender sells them at a loss.
Even with cheap(but fine quality(control?)) labor(thanks to Indonesia/china), the cheapest electronics they can buy(likely in a considerable volume, dealing to the price and popularity of this guitar). I'm not sure how they do a solid 2-3 piece basswood body, hard maple neck, good action and frets from the getgo, a stable and workable tremolo(after a spring change, LOL), for 100 dollars.
You can't get it shipped for that much!
I didn't even mention tuners, hardware, even strings on a 100 dollar guitar are 10% of the value!!!

Man, I'm just kinda get in awe that squier/fender can turn out the products that they do.

*is heavily considering buying another bullet right now to do insane amounts of mods on*

Anyway, I don't know if ANY of the rambling in my post helped, but I think my previous posts may have.
So, you're welcome.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Yeah, they really are, I'm almost certain fender sells them at a loss.
Even with cheap(but fine quality(control?)) labor(thanks to Indonesia/china), the cheapest electronics they can buy(likely in a considerable volume, dealing to the price and popularity of this guitar). I'm not sure how they do a solid 2-3 piece basswood body, hard maple neck, good action and frets from the getgo, a stable and workable tremolo(after a spring change, LOL), for 100 dollars.
You can't get it shipped for that much!
I didn't even mention tuners, hardware, even strings on a 100 dollar guitar are 10% of the value!!!

Man, I'm just kinda get in awe that squier/fender can turn out the products that they do.

*is heavily considering buying another bullet right now to do insane amounts of mods on*

Anyway, I don't know if ANY of the rambling in my post helped, but I think my previous posts may have.
So, you're welcome.

oh

haha

it made sense (mostly)

dont worry