Alright, sorry to make another one of these threads, but I'm being particularly indecisive here recently.

So I've nearly sold everything I'm willing to sell to save up for a 5150. After that, I'm planning on getting a job when I turn 16, so I've decided to buy a new guitar after I save up some money. However, I'm stuck between two guitars.

One being the B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST. I've pretty much loved the Mockingbird body for a long time, and this one comes with an original Floyd if I'm not mistaken. This guitar would be pretty much everything I need stock, with the exception of a pickup change.

The second option would be the Gibson Explorer. I also love this body shape, being a guitarist in a metal band and all. If I were to go this route, I'd slap an OFR and some Blackouts in it.

Either way, I'm having a guitar with an OFR and some Blackouts in it. I'm just not sure which one I want. Help me decide, UG!

Also, feel free to suggest other guitars. I've got a Guitar Center over in the next town, so I'll get a chance to try them out. I might find something else I like.
gibson, the BC Rich's are not that well made guitars, but if i were you get a dean
I'm assuming you heard the Blackouts? If I were you, I'd go with the ST. Good price, already comes with an OFR, but don't they also come with coil-taps, phase switches and all that other stuff? The Gibson...Hm...I could see it getting expensive with the OFR, Blackouts, and routing it and installing it for the OFR. Try them both out and see what feels better.
Quote by dfinch10
Check out ESP

Dude, nobody, and I mean NOBODY carries ESPs where I'm at. The local music store here carries a few LTDs Vipers, but that's about it. I'd have an easier time getting a hold of...something very hard to obtain.

Iceman- Yeah, I've heard the Blackouts, and compared them to an Explorer with EMG 81/85s. They're not as...soulless, I guess you could say, in comparison to the EMGs.

I've been leaning towards the Mockingbird for a while. My co-guitarist and drummer keep telling me to get the Explorer, though. So I guess what I'm really asking is this: Is there a justifiable reason to spend so much more on the Explorer instead of the Mockingbird?

Or I could just get a different guitar altogether, which is why I said to feel free to suggest other guitars.
I'd assume more quality, but then again, this IS Gibson so it could be just the name that makes it more expensive. Put it this way, you're a good guitarist, you've got the money, you're willing to dish it out, go for it. And screw the co-guitarist and drummer, unless they have good reasons that aren't "IT'S GIBSON, BRAH!" don't listen to them and just see what feels better to you.

Frankly, I like the Mockingbird more. I was considering that for a new guitar for a bit, and I might get it one day. But do you need the trem? If you don't, the Special X (I think) is what I'd get.
dont get emgs...you like them for about...a week until you realize how ****ty they make your guitar sound. heres what i would do. buy an ibanez...replace the bridge pickup with a dimarzio d sonic. not only will you have a very clear and sharp distortion..but it will sound wayyyy better then any active pickup you can buy.
let me tell you a story..
i had an esp that had an 81/85 set up in it. when i played a gig live with it...i realized when i watched the tape back...that it sounds like straight fuzz. what you end up doing is actually dialing OUT the gain hence making your amp sound less driven and raw. with passive pickups, your amp sounds very sharp and very raw...but CLEAR. you find me a respectable guitar player with active pickups..and ill pleasure you...cuz you wont find one.
dont make the same mistake i did...go passive.
check out the b.c.rich nj/nt models. idk if they come w/ the ofr but for the $$ these are nice guitars. also check out the jackson kelly ke-2 if you got the cash, the ke-3 if you dont. i think they look better than the regular explorer but im biased.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by Iceman 420
I'd assume more quality, but then again, this IS Gibson so it could be just the name that makes it more expensive. Put it this way, you're a good guitarist, you've got the money, you're willing to dish it out, go for it. And screw the co-guitarist and drummer, unless they have good reasons that aren't "IT'S GIBSON, BRAH!" don't listen to them and just see what feels better to you.

Frankly, I like the Mockingbird more. I was considering that for a new guitar for a bit, and I might get it one day. But do you need the trem? If you don't, the Special X (I think) is what I'd get.

No, no. It's not your typical "DEWD IT'S A GIBSON!!! GET T3h GIBSOOOONN!!!" fanboy-ism. We all actually have the utmost hatred for Gibson guitars, with the exception of the Explorer.

As for the trem, it's not that I really need it, but I'd like to have one to experiment with since I've never had a guitar with one.

EDIT- I'm not getting EMGs. I'm getting Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They sound a lot better than EMGs. And not to sound like a fanboy of some sort, but doesn't Alexi Laiho from Bodom use Blackouts?
Last edited by Dizeaz2112 at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by Dizeaz2112
No, no. It's not your typical "DEWD IT'S A GIBSON!!! GET T3h GIBSOOOONN!!!" fanboy-ism. We all actually have the utmost hatred for Gibson guitars, with the exception of the Explorer.

As for the trem, it's not that I really need it, but I'd like to have one to experiment with since I've never had a guitar with one.

get an ernie ball or an ibanez..i promise you that you will never regret it...