I know every musician is different, but rough estimate, how long did it take most of you? I'm not talkin about getting to the point where ya can do it, but I mean play it in front of folks without effin up.
however long until you're good at it. surely you don't need to be told it's different for everyone.
practice with a metronome and kick it up like 5 BPM every so often.
Well, haha, I'll change my question then

How long does it take to get good at 3-6 string sweeps? And how long does it take to get good at 3-6 rolling barre sweeps?
Ive done it for just under half a yearish and i can sweep 3 string arp's perfect, the 5 and 6 string ones are harder to get really clean but i can do them pretty good.
It's all depending on the sweeps, there are always gonna be some riffs that will stick out like a thorn and you're gonna need to work on them a bit more than certain other ones that will be much smoother and it'll just flow naturally.
Well, I've been working at this Mexican restaurant for quite some time... My sweeping skills are developing quite nicely.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

^ lol
It took me about 1 year to get good a sweeping.

I recorded this thing where you can hear how they sound. I dont F them up. At about 2 min I just start wanking.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6662819

I haven't been playing for too long. If you like the sound of that, well practice hard and in a few months you'll do sweep taps like the once in there. Its not hard. The most important thing is self confidence. I used to be scared to show my sweeps cause I thought id mess them up, but confidence got rid of the shaking, and gave me more accuracy. Also avoid energy drinks. Today I drank an energy drink and I can play the fretboard correctly, Im shaking uncontrollably. Don't steal my riffs.
Quote by nyandres
It took me about 1 year to get good a sweeping.

I recorded this thing where you can hear how they sound. I dont F them up. At about 2 min I just start wanking.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6662819

I haven't been playing for too long. If you like the sound of that, well practice hard and in a few months you'll do sweep taps like the once in there. Its not hard. The most important thing is self confidence. I used to be scared to show my sweeps cause I thought id mess them up, but confidence got rid of the shaking, and gave me more accuracy. Also avoid energy drinks. Today I drank an energy drink and I can play the fretboard correctly, Im shaking uncontrollably. Don't steal my riffs.

What? Sorry I didn't understand any of that....
i used to be realllly into sweeping..the problem was in couldnt do it. i still cant and thats becuase i realized there was no musical, harmonic, aplication for rediculous jason becker-esqe sweeping. im more into the petrucci style rediculous finger pattern and string skipping madness. that keeps me more then occupied.
It doesn't matter. Knowing how fast someone else learned it doesn't help you learn it, and it doesn't give you an accurate measure of your learning.

Nearly everyone on this site sucks at sweeping, by the way.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I could do 5 string sweeps pretty good after 2 weeks of good practice. Not super fast but a good speed.