Im writing a power metal song right now, and so far my progression is :

G-A#-C-A-G

with the last two chords having one bar each, the rest are two bars each.

My Problem is, i cant seem to find a good Bridge/Riff to use in between the verses and possibly as a pre-chorus. Anyone have Chords to suggest?

I basically have a G min Lead fill over top of these chords right before the singing kicks in, but having that for 90% of the song would get kinda boring i think.
<Deleted>

I don't know what the hell I was smoking.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 25, 2008,
I Went searching through all my scale notes to see about that A# Harmonic Minor thing Archeo

Anyway, it isnt that the Riff i have is boring, i just think that having it between every verse and before every chorus and for every fill would be a bit repetitive.

E----------------------|--------------------|
B----------------------|--------------------|
G-----------5----------|------7-8-7---------|
D-----5--7-8---8-7--5--|-8--10--------10-8--|
A----------------------|--------------------|
E----------------------|--------------------|

Thats what i have over the G, and then the A# , if that makes any difference. theres more over the other chords, but its basically just the same form.
Quote by :-D
I was about to ask you how A# suggests G harmonic minor anyway.

I was asking myself the same question.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
e|------------------------------------------------------------
b|----------------------------------------5-6--8------------
g|----------------------------------5-6----------------------
d|----------------------------5-6----------------------------
a|---------------5-----------------------------------------------
E|--3--5--6------6--5--3-----------------------------------

e|------------------------------------------------------------
b|------------------------------------------------------------
g|------------------------------------------------------------
d|------------------------------------------------------------
a|-----------------------------------------5--------------------
E|---3---5---6----5---3-----3--5--6----5--6---3---------
^I loled.

And I know this isn't the place to do this, but I think it would sound better if the last bar was an F instead of G. Just my opinion.

For a bridge section, a lot of power metal goes into the relative major of the song for a few bars. So maybe something where each chord lasts 2 bars. Like Bb, Cm, F, Gm, Cm, F, and then crescendo the Gm for 4 bars and lead into a solo or something.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by :-D
That "A#" is more than likely a Bb anyway.

Indeed. TS, you would do well to learn about diatonics.

You should have a riff with D (because D is dominant here, it wants to resolve) leading back to the G.

For example, a chord progression you could use is:

Cm --Dmaj ---Gm
Thanks Iron Dude, ill try that out.

@Beadhangingone, Ill try and Put in a D for sure, i thought i had one but looking back on the tab i made it seems i was mistaken Writing at 2 in the morning isnt very easy.

I was thinking about Having the Last bar of the Verse, one guitar playing the G and one playing the D, Then repeats back to the start with G. I Dunno if that would work though

EDIT: I Uploaded a recording of the Tab on Guitar Pro, incase anyone cant figure out what its supposed to sound like by my descriptions But a word of warning, i dont know how to write for drums.
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Jun 26, 2008,