hey guys. since i never use my fender any (i got an ibanez) i decided to turn it into an EVH relic.

Body with my dimarzio super distortion.

back of body. perfect fit for a floyd rose.

i'm going to be stripping it tomorrow and also smoothing out the neck finish. i might attempt to take out the frets but i think that will be next week along with routing.

parts needed to get:
1. Floyd Rose with hardware. $170.00
2. warmoth 6100 fret wire. $6.50
3. schaller mini locking tuners $51.00
4. Screw in eyelets (strap holders) roughly $5.00
5. Paint, sandpaper, etc roughly $40.00

total: $272.50... not bad.
what are those weird looking holes right of the neck pickup?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by mcrfobtai
Sounds generic, but cool

yeah i know the originality is not very high but i'm a huge EVH fan.
Quote by Sean-Man
what are those weird looking holes right of the neck pickup?

+1?

looks pretty cool. you should add something nutty to this, to make it more your own!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
+1?

looks pretty cool. you should add something nutty to this, to make it more your own!

i was thinking of doing a black pink and lime green with green being the majority color. i'm a cheesy 80's fan so i might do something really bright.

as far as the holes go... i have no clue. going to fill them with body filler along with some other holes just to make it workable.
The refretting doesn't seem necessary to me.
Also, I'm not sure if you're getting an original floyd rose or a licensed copy, but I know on guitarfetish.com you can get a solid steel floyd rose licensed copy for 60 bucks.
Since it's a "relic" job, is the wiring gonna be the same, i.e., single volume knob/hardwired tone, 3-way witch with non functioning single coil? Are you bolting the pikcup to the guitar or using a mounting ring?

EDIT:
Locking tuners+floyd rose=pointless.
You tune the floyd from the bridge, and use a locking nut, the tuners locking is redundant, pointless, and worst of all expensive.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Last edited by Iansmitchell at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by Iansmitchell
The refretting doesn't seem necessary to me.
Also, I'm not sure if you're getting an original floyd rose or a licensed copy, but I know on guitarfetish.com you can get a solid steel floyd rose licensed copy for 60 bucks.
Since it's a "relic" job, is the wiring gonna be the same, i.e., single volume knob/hardwired tone, 3-way witch with non functioning single coil? Are you bolting the pikcup to the guitar or using a mounting ring?

the refretting is what what EVH did to his original and i love thick frets so to that's a win win situation. yes the wiring will be the same. the one problem is is that the only single coils i have are texas specials. i would prefer not to have them put to no use. the main reason for the OFR is because i already deal with an Ibanez edge III. not bad but it certainly does not compare to an OFR. i do want to play this and use this guitar so i want what's going to play the best. i am bolting the pickup right to the guitar. i'm trying to put as much detail into it as possible. even the placement of the "tone" knob is going to crucial. there should only be a few differences in this guitar when i finish it.

sorry if i'm rambling but it's late for me and i'm slightly under the influence
Quote by tikidrummer
the refretting is what what EVH did to his original and i love thick frets so to that's a win win situation. yes the wiring will be the same. the one problem is is that the only single coils i have are texas specials. i would prefer not to have them put to no use. the main reason for the OFR is because i already deal with an Ibanez edge III. not bad but it certainly does not compare to an OFR. i do want to play this and use this guitar so i want what's going to play the best. i am bolting the pickup right to the guitar. i'm trying to put as much detail into it as possible. even the placement of the "tone" knob is going to crucial. there should only be a few differences in this guitar when i finish it.

sorry if i'm rambling but it's late for me and i'm slightly under the influence

SOunds like you're pretty much doing it right.
Well, how's 16 plus shipping for 3?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html
You could just take out one and use the others on a fat strat build or something, but really, price is crazy cheap.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
For some reason I read this thread and the idea "EVH replica with scalloped frets" popped into my head.

Sounds like a build.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by metalhead_365
those holes are on every MIM fender, i have no idea why though.

Probably to keep people from passing them off as MIAs.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
SOunds like you're pretty much doing it right.
Well, how's 16 plus shipping for 3?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html
You could just take out one and use the others on a fat strat build or something, but really, price is crazy cheap.

i'm buying those today. thanks for the help.

Quote by woodenbandman
For some reason I read this thread and the idea "EVH replica with scalloped frets" popped into my head. Sounds like a build.

i thought about it but i've never played on a scalloped fretboard. i might go to guitar center and see if they a YJM strat or something else with them.
Quote by tikidrummer
i'm buying those today. thanks for the help.

i thought about it but i've never played on a scalloped fretboard. i might go to guitar center and see if they a YJM strat or something else with them.

No problem.
You could ship me the ones you don't use as a thanks .

Well, my opinion on a scalloped fretboard is it kinda takes out alot of the flexibility of a guitar, and unless you have a light touch, very hard to keep from going sharp, especially on (barre)chords. Scalloping from the 12th fret on, that's a little smarter IMO.

Quote by cobain_is_king
few updates.

1. i have the pickguard cut. not exactly like EVH's but it's close enough.
2. i have the random holes filled.
3. the body is sanded not stripped of the paint. my arm is about to die from all the sanding with nothing to show for it.

sorry no pics. i don't feel like it's that much of an update to deserve them.

i will be having my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow so no posting until middle next week. i need some tools like a sander of some kind.
for the rest of the night i'm going to be removing the frets and the nut.

tiki
Quote by tikidrummer
few updates.

1. i have the pickguard cut. not exactly like EVH's but it's close enough.
2. i have the random holes filled.
3. the body is sanded not stripped of the paint. my arm is about to die from all the sanding with nothing to show for it.

sorry no pics. i don't feel like it's that much of an update to deserve them.

i will be having my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow so no posting until middle next week. i need some tools like a sander of some kind.
for the rest of the night i'm going to be removing the frets and the nut.

tiki

Did you use a vinyl record like eddie? lol

Good. THose things look Martian, lol.

Ouch, Well if it comes down to really needing the paint off, hairspray+lighter+ razorblade.
I've done that number to a few guitars I had to strip.

Quote by cobain_is_king
ok guys. getting your wisdom teeth removed sucks so badly but threw all the swelling and pain i was able to remove the frets and the nut from the fret board. i did buy a small sander to help me with the stripping. i can only work so much on it. my mouth starts hurting terribly if i get too into it. here's so progress pics. nothing major but it's coming along.

i need to clear out all of that dust.

hard to see but the frets are removed.

i'm going to get some more supplies tomorrow and will post pics at the end of the day.

thanks again for your support.