Okay, so my wifi died in my laptop (pavillion dv6000). Its a know problem and I can send it in and get it fixed, BUT:

I deleted the "recovery partition", and "upgraded" from vista basic to ultimate...with a pirated copy. I don't have the original version. What should I do? Send it in anyway? Will they get mad if they see I pirated windows and/or changed the factory OS?
X Sign Here
How would they know it's pirated?
Cover your traces, if it's at all noticeable, and you should be fine!
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
they won't get mad.... but there's a risk that your warranty may be void.... and if it isn't covered by warranty then they may charge you extra for it....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
If you re-install vista from the original boot disk that came with the computer, will you lose your documents?

Cause I just reinstalled XP a few days ago, and I didn't lose anything, you just gotta know where to look for it.
depends where you send it. probobly not, but just incase, i suggest possibly backing it up somewhere else (everything you hold dear on the computer) and wipe the hard drive of any trace of the OS.

but i dont think if its like, a local shop, or just a hardware switch, that they'll care.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
it sounds like you messed around with your hard drive and partitions a lot. that might nullify your warranty. check the warranty papers that came with your laptop.
Quote by Brain245
If you re-install vista from the original boot disk that came with the computer, will you lose your documents?

Cause I just reinstalled XP a few days ago, and I didn't lose anything, you just gotta know where to look for it.

you didnt lose anything because you repaired the OS, not reinstalled it. a complete reinstall of XP includes a hard drive format, which wipes everything, and even if you skip that, most of your documents will be gone anywho.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
nah, I have to send it back to HP. Its a cracked Dell OEM version of Vista Ultimate. So it has Dell logos on some screens, and has a cracked bios emulator that appears when you start up the computer.

EDIT: I don't have a warranty (second hand laptop), but the hardware issue is well known with HP, so I an send it in. And it didn't come with any CDs, but it came with a partition with the recovery stuff on it.
X Sign Here
Last edited by kossner at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by kossner
it has...a cracked bios emulator that appears when you start up the computer.

lol, that's hardcore.
Quote by TK1
you didnt lose anything because you repaired the OS, not reinstalled it. a complete reinstall of XP includes a hard drive format, which wipes everything, and even if you skip that, most of your documents will be gone anywho.

Oh okay.

My friend told me that too, but i didn't believe him since it asked "Do you want to repair or do a fresh reinstall" and I chose "fresh reinstall", I litereally started all over. But now since a random person on the internet told me, I believe it.

I really do believe you though, I'm not just being a dick.

BTW, if you do a reinstall and you want to recover your old documents, go to

c:\documents and settings\"your old user name"/"your old user name"s documents
Quote by kossner

EDIT: I don't have a warranty (second hand laptop), but the hardware issue is well known with HP, so I an send it in. And it didn't come with any CDs, but it came with a partition with the recovery stuff on it.

if you're going to send it in, back up all of your important stuff...at least that's what i'd do before some ham-handed HP grunt starts fixing my laptop. for all we know, HP's second step towards fixing your wifi is: "DELETE HARD DRIVE". their first step would, of course, be, "REMOVE THUMB FROM ANUS".
i don't know how they'd react when they see your L337 bios emulator / h4x00r3d Vista.
Quote by hisjap2003

i don't know how they'd react when they see your L337 bios emulator / h4x00r3d Vista.

Thats what I'm afraid of. I don't want to get sued. I think I can just pirate another Home Basic version, because legally I own a copy of it, so says the "genuine windows" sticker on the bottom.
X Sign Here