I'm looking for some good tuners for my new acoustic. The stock ones are okay, but I'm getting pickier about pitch and was hoping to get a higher-quality set. Are there any suggestions? I've contemplated the Waverley ones, but they're pretty expensive.

I'm looking for something that won't require a great deal of drilling, not because I'm lazy, but because I don't have any bushing reamers. My current tuners have a 1/4" post diameter and 11/32" bushings. Waverley tuners are attached with a screw above and below the machine, whereas my current tuners use only a screw immediately below the tuner. Any tips on the installation of the other screw? Ideas on how much of a pilot I would need would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Maybe instead I should request advice on how to make a good thread. Mine seem to not get responded to. Am I doing something wrong?
I Japanese Fenders
There isn't anything you're doing wrong, just people don't know alot about acoustic tuners i'm guessing.

I'd suggest looking around Stewmac (I prefer them to Warmoth, they were way more helpfull and they're competitively priced)
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Fair enough. I guess I can just wing it, but I ask out of fear of damaging my guitars. Lacking any woodworking experience, I'm very hesitant about making any irreversible modifications.
I Japanese Fenders
I'll look for acoustic tuner installation.
Hold tight.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
My acoustic has a set of grovers on. It never goes out of tune for my playing...
My acoustic has a set of grovers on. It never goes out of tune for my playing...

Thanks! The Rotomatics looks like the closest thing to a drop-in that I can find. My problem is that I don't know exactly where the stabilizing screw is in relation to the post, so I don't know if I'll need to drill any extra holes, much less where they would go. I'm not sure if I have the tools to do that anyway, though I could probably get away with drilling a hole above the tuner as well, like you see on the Grover Sta-Tites. The tuners currently on my guitar most closely resemble the Rotomatics especially in terms of the stabilizing screw placement, but I'm not sure if they fit.

Bleh, Takamine blew me off with a one-sentence response regarding the tuner specs. Heck, I guess I'll just wing it. Question now is whether or not I want to pony up $135 for the Waverleys or just buy something else. Jimmy rigging the tuners on doesn't sound like a good idea, but I'm fresh out of those either way.
I Japanese Fenders
Last edited by GravyFish at Jun 28, 2008,