After six months of neglect, I finally decided to hand off my Budda Superdrive 18 to someone who will play it affectionately. In return (plus some cash on my end), I got a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster

It didn't particularly care for my Marshall 1960 cab with Greenbacks (the sound was too loose and flubby). Today I finally got around to trading that cab in for a Rectifier Standard with V30s. The Roadster loves V30s.

This is easily one of the most versatile amps I have ever played. I love having a multitude of sounds at my disposal. I plan on playing my next gig with nothing but the Retrosonic Phaser, Freakshow Digilog, and an MXR 10 Band (to tighten the sound). My touring rig has dropped drastically from a two amps and a full pedalboard to a head, cab, and three pedals (plus guitar).

I had forgotten how sweet natural OD is. I am never going back to pedals. I plan on giving it a month or two -- if I am still in love, I may sell off my other amps (except the Z). The Roadster is THAT amazing. I have been tweaking since I got the amp and have still not touched all the possible sounds available. I have, however, found MY tone.

Channel 1: not quite my Twin, but it will suffice in a live situation. Plus, my clean sound almost always has phaser and delay. The cleans can go from chimey to very dark. In fat mode, you get a very bluesy overdrive.

Channel 2: British. Reminds me of an old Marshall meets newer Orange. Amazing low gain stuff. I have lost all need for OD pedals now.

Channels 3 and 4 I havent tried extensively, but it gets the classic recto tones. I dialed in a lead tone that I like and left it there.
Last edited by colin617 at Jun 26, 2008,
Nice.

I'm appropriately jealous.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
lucky...

haha. i love the recto tone, but i think that my mark iii probably gets better clean and crunch sounds. so the roadster is basically my dream amp. maybe a roadking if i feel like have a jet consoloe thing on the front and back of my amp haha

anyway, congratulations and have fun with the amazing amp
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
sick amp man, congrats!!!

gnarly rig you have going there Colin
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by colin617
I have, however, found MY tone.
That was the part I was looking for... Congrats Colin!

seriously tho kudos man...you made a wise choice
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jun 26, 2008,
You're gonna hate it when it comes time to retube it xD.

Congrats on the amp though man, thats really cool that you found a tone of your own.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
You're gonna hate it when it comes time to retube it xD.

Congrats on the amp though man, thats really cool that you found a tone of your own.

True. I may need to sell my AC30 and Twin Reverb after all....lol
Quote by colin617
True. I may need to sell my AC30 and Twin Reverb after all....lol

you have a mesa dual rec, ac 30, and twin reverb....?
ARE YOU SERIOUS
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
you have a mesa dual rec, ac 30, and twin reverb....?
ARE YOU SERIOUS

Yes. I also have a Dr. Z Maz Jr.
My jealousy levels are through the bloody roof.

Congrats, I guess
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
congratulations man thats one sweet piece of work, i wonder if i could trade in my girlfriend for one of these lol
Quote by colin617
Yes. I also have a Dr. Z Maz Jr.

okay well you seriously are on the brink of best gear i've seen on hear
its between you, with a twin reverb, ac 30, and dual rec (don't know the whole dr. z maz jr? but i bet its some boutique amp?) erock who has i think 2 splawns and a krank?
and gutch who also has ac-30, extension cab, and a jcm 900, as well as jcm 800 running through a 1960
seriously though
ac-30 for nice cleans and american crunch
twin reverb=best cleans of all time
and dual rec for everything half heavey and beyond with all its features
jealousy levels are through the roof as well
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Where do you live?
Does your house have an alarm?

;]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Congrads on the purchase Colin. I will make a point of seeing "The Skyline Drive" when you guys come to Atlanta.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Last edited by FLCLcowdude at Jun 26, 2008,
You lucky man.

I'd give my left nut for a MESA.

EDIT:

And I've give my right one for a blue gibbo LP standard.

Then I'd give my ballskin for a decent delay.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Congrads on the purchase Colin. I will make a point of seeing "The Skyline Drive" when you guys come to Atlanta.

Hahaha. We're a bit busy at the moment.

Lucky for you, we're from Atlanta!
I kid you not, you have my exact dream rig....and then some
Congrats on the Mesa, I'm so jealous of your rig, 'specially since at the moment I'm trying to decide between a Twin and an AC30 (amongst other things). Can you get decent drive out of your Twin at all?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I kid you not, you have my exact dream rig....and then some
Congrats on the Mesa, I'm so jealous of your rig, 'specially since at the moment I'm trying to decide between a Twin and an AC30 (amongst other things). Can you get decent drive out of your Twin at all?

Not at sane volumes. Seriously, it only STARTS to break up at around 8 on the volume knob.
Well a Twin is pretty much my dream clean sound Have you used an attenuator or an overdrive with it at all?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

aww... poor superdrive...

But, congrats!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Well a Twin is pretty much my dream clean sound Have you used an attenuator or an overdrive with it at all?

I used a Keeley Sd-1 and an Analogman SunFace. My distorted sounds were pretty good, but they weren't as as sweet as natural overdrive.

If you want a Twin with gain and such, look into the Evil Twin (I think Fender lists it as the Twin Amp). The Twin Amp has two channels and a gain knob. Also, the Deluxe Reverb Reissue will overdrive earlier and still has stellar cleans. A 65 Twin Reverb is not ideal for overdrive. Mine was actually modded to sound cleaner (NOS Svetlana tubes and Weber 12A150 speakers)
Quote by colin617
I used a Keeley Sd-1 and an Analogman SunFace. My distorted sounds were pretty good, but they weren't as as sweet as natural overdrive.

If you want a Twin with gain and such, look into the Evil Twin (I think Fender lists it as the Twin Amp). The Twin Amp has two channels and a gain knob. Also, the Deluxe Reverb Reissue will overdrive earlier and still has stellar cleans. A 65 Twin Reverb is not ideal for overdrive. Mine was actually modded to sound cleaner (NOS Svetlana tubes and Weber 12A150 speakers)

Ahh, I thought the Evil Twins had different circuitry, do they still have that signature clean? Deluxe Reverb Reissue is slightly out of my price range (I'm in the UK), but i played one a few weeks back....it was sweeeeet
I was just curious cos I'd heard of people using a Twin with an attenuator to get good rock sounds, so i just thought I'd ask!
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

i played one a couple weeks ago... very very nice amp.

ahhh roadsters are so sexy! congrats!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Ahh, I thought the Evil Twins had different circuitry, do they still have that signature clean? Deluxe Reverb Reissue is slightly out of my price range (I'm in the UK), but i played one a few weeks back....it was sweeeeet
I was just curious cos I'd heard of people using a Twin with an attenuator to get good rock sounds, so i just thought I'd ask!

The circuitry is slightly different, but it is undeniably a Fender. How is the Deluxe Reverb out of your range? The Twin is the more expensive amp....here at least.
Quote by colin617
The circuitry is slightly different, but it is undeniably a Fender. How is the Deluxe Reverb out of your range? The Twin is the more expensive amp....here at least.

Ahh right, I'll look into it Well twins go used here quite regularly, theres a silverface up for £350 ($700) at the moment, but the DRRI's hardly ever go used, and new they're about £750 ($1500). My budget is up to about £400 for my amp, so the DRRI is slightly out of reach
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by colin617
Hahaha. We're a bit busy at the moment.

Lucky for you, we're from Atlanta!

Yeah, at first I said play out locally, but I didn't even know where in the US you even are right now. I will just keep checking the Myspace.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
how much is that head???the mesa combos at my local store are like 1300 bucks
Quote by Rush_fan2112
i want to walk down the streets of a very large, populized city (one like toronto, or new york) wearing a wonder woman costume and eating a stick of butter

Quote by figsandbobo
I can eat a 16" no problem.
Quote by rhcp33roxx
how much is that head???the mesa combos at my local store are like 1300 bucks

I think about $2000 or so in stores
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
WEEEOOOOOWEEEEOOOO

Grats on the new amp!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
/basically my dream rig

The Roadster's are really impressive, aren't they? I loved how on channel 3 I could get massive pinch harmonics, then roll off the volume and get actual CLEAN sounds. Really good. Nice purchase!
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Yeah, at first I said play out locally, but I didn't even know where in the US you even are right now. I will just keep checking the Myspace.

Sweet!

I only paid 750 for it, but I also lost a Budda Superdrive 18 head in the process.

Yes, this amp is ridiculous! I have my settings written down, but I can't resist tweaking. I like it a lot more than the Mark IV (which I could never get used to).
That with a tele.... is amazing...
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!