Hey everyone, was looking at some Traban-made basses the other day, and I came across the Traban Array 4-string.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traben-Array-4String-Bass?sku=512053

I was wondering about your opinions of this bass, and of Traban basses in general.(Note, my opinion of the bass is it appears great as a first non-borrowed bass to use, cheap enough, and also looks good.)

Thanks!
Trabens are fairly good instruments, but here is my problem with them. They essentially market their basses based on the bridge. There is nothing out of the ordinary (or very ordinary) about them. Get what I'm saying? Fender's appeal comes from the cohesive quality of all parts, same with Warwick and others. Traben relies on the bridge. And IMO if the bridge was THAT much better, everyone would be doing it. Doesn't mean they're bad basses, though.
I've been playing a custom-built Traben based on the array 4-string, and it's safe to say they're damm good basses.

The bridge is mostly for looks (and it does get alot of looks) and it adds to sustain, but It's not a magical chunk of metal that makes you play better, or makes the bass better. Trabens sound good because they're very, very well designed and solidly built. I absolutely love the range of different tones you can get out of it between the pickup and the blend (mix between the two pickups) knob. Crank the lows and twist it to the neck pickup, and your set for deep, driving metal, or go to the other end of the spectrum, cutting the mids and dial it in to the beastly bridge humbucker, and you've got a funk machine in your hands that will slap ya into next week. No matter what your playing it'll sound great. Trabens also have the benefit of being damn near indestructible. I've beat the hell out of mine for the past 2 years or so, and it still holds in tune like it did brand new. After 2 years of heavy-duty play, the only marks in the finish are a chip on the end (strap let go on stage and my bass took a dive to the floor) and a belt buckle gouge on the back. There's no worn-through spots from normal play, nothing vibrates, the knobs don't rattle or anything. Minus a few scratches, it looks (and more importantly sounds) just as good as it did out of the box.
Traben Array
2x Tech21 Sansamp RBI Bass preamps
450w Power Amp
2x Gallien-Krueger 410
-
Handmade nylon-string classical guitar
-
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Line 6 Spider 2 250w combo
-
Various Lee Oskar and Honer harmonicas
-
Yamaha YPT-310
Quote by Slap_Happens
I've been playing a custom-built Traben based on the array 4-string, and it's safe to say they're damm good basses.

The bridge is mostly for looks (and it does get alot of looks) and it adds to sustain, but It's not a magical chunk of metal that makes you play better, or makes the bass better. Trabens sound good because they're very, very well designed and solidly built. I absolutely love the range of different tones you can get out of it between the pickup and the blend (mix between the two pickups) knob. Crank the lows and twist it to the neck pickup, and your set for deep, driving metal, or go to the other end of the spectrum, cutting the mids and dial it in to the beastly bridge humbucker, and you've got a funk machine in your hands that will slap ya into next week. No matter what your playing it'll sound great. Trabens also have the benefit of being damn near indestructible. I've beat the hell out of mine for the past 2 years or so, and it still holds in tune like it did brand new. After 2 years of heavy-duty play, the only marks in the finish are a chip on the end (strap let go on stage and my bass took a dive to the floor) and a belt buckle gouge on the back. There's no worn-through spots from normal play, nothing vibrates, the knobs don't rattle or anything. Minus a few scratches, it looks (and more importantly sounds) just as good as it did out of the box.

Sounds like a good bass, but a custom bass will be in a different league to a mass produced one.
i'd never buy one for the simple fact that the bridge's look horrendous!

although i've never played one, can't seem to find them here in the UK
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Traben is an alright brand, very alike to ibanez. The bridge, although cool and adds sustain, is somewhat of an inconvenience. It is sharp (I actually cut myself on one), and they dent easily. The pickup configuration is not something I am too fond of, I have never really liked the pickups they used.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I've never played one but the bridge makes my ATK look subtle. They really are ridiculous. If they are any good then maybe they're worth recommending to the Dean/BC Rich crowd of noobs who want something pointy but cheap.
Thanks for everyone's opinions/responces. As it stands right now, I'm most likely going to be picking this up in the next couple weeks. Time to start rocking out!
Everyone always talks about the bridge... Personally I find the body design most appealing, and the bridge doesn't attract/bother me. I've considered Trabens before and I'd agree with the general statements of those above. If this is your first non-borrowed bass it's probably a fine choice (i.e. if your skill level matches the price range) since there are better basses out there, but this is a good bass for the price.
Think with some work, the Traban bridge could get dumped and a less pointy bridge could get frankenstiened onto it? I like the bass except the bridge, and am trying to decide between it or a Ibanez (leaning to Ibanez). Think it can be done? Any suggestions?
Quote by remx15
Alsom how is the action on these basses?

Well, action is how you set it, so whatever you like...

Also, is it just me, or is there some inherent flaw in putting a quilt maple top on a bass and then solid finishing it?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.