So, I just picked up my new head; an Engl Invader 150. The power tubes in it are EL34's with ECG 83 Preamp tubes. Using DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups. I primarily like the 4th channel because of it's high gain sound, BUT I'm getting finger screeches out the ass. When I slide my finger on the string, it cuts through most of the notes and makes it blatantly obvious. I've tried lowering the gain a little, but I'm getting the same problem.

I'm not sure if it's the head or the DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups. My friend has the same pickup in his guitar and isn't having the problem through my head. Anyone know how to deal with this horrible sound? It cuts my soul in 3 pieces.
Last edited by DanHotSauce at Jun 26, 2008,
Your pickup might be becoming a little microphonic. There are a few ways to get around that..

Also, are you running any kind of noise gate?
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Your pickup might be becoming a little microphonic. There are a few ways to get around that..

Also, are you running any kind of noise gate?

Yes. I've tried the stock NS that comes built in with the head, but it does nothing really. I've also used my friend's Boss NS-2, but that just gets rid of the feedback. The screeching still remains.
Quote by DanHotSauce
Yes. I've tried the stock NS that comes built in with the head, but it does nothing really. I've also used my friend's Boss NS-2, but that just gets rid of the feedback. The screeching still remains.

Yeah I'd definitely try wax potting them then man. Should help I think.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
This usually happens with high gauge strings just new. Is this the case? If not, try lowering the gain a bit and lower the treble a bit and raise the bass (all the while maintaining the mids in a good level).

ALso, microphonics. This might be a problem and only solution is either pup change or waxing it.
Quote by rwalby9
Yeah I'd definitely try wax potting them then man. Should help I think.

I just read up on that. It seems easy enough. Thing is, I have some cloth like material covering my coils. http://www.mics4less.com/photos/dimarzio/dp100bk_lg.jpg
Check that pic out and you'll see what I mean. Do I need to remove that or just soak it with that on?

Quote by dimatrod
This usually happens with high gauge strings just new. Is this the case? If not, try lowering the gain a bit and lower the treble a bit and raise the bass (all the while maintaining the mids in a good level).

ALso, microphonics. This might be a problem and only solution is either pup change or waxing it.

I've been using DiAddario Jazz Light Gauge. .49-.12 They work great and I'm playing in C Standard tuning. My friend is using the 7-string pack for the same tuning, but he isn't getting that problem. I may give it a shot, I just don't like the tension.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's your EQ like? Have you tried your friend's guitar through the head? As in, you play his guitar?

Maybe it's your technique...

I got my mids turned down pretty low. Thing is, I like the high gainy sound. Got my bass up 3/4 as well as my treble. My gain knob is 3/4 up as well. I've tried playing it myself with two other guitars and they don't have that problem. I've come to the conclusion it's my guitar, but I'll try a few things to fix it.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Turning the gain down is out of the question 'cause it works on my friend's guitar with the same pickup and his gauges are even thicker.
Change ya strings?
You could also try lowering the pickup or turning the tone down.