Ok, i have been planning on buying a new amp since i bought my last one (vox ad30vt) which is almost a year ago and i am going to go all tube after i get my next paycheck, or the one after that depending on how big the first one is. I am just gonna get some good opinions before i blow my money on an amp that will have to last me for a while. This VERY important to me and im very excited

I am looking for a good british voiced amp. Looking for Angus Young'ish tone but can still fork out some good Pearl Jam. I will like to have some cleans, enough to handle blues. I dont play metal.

I pretty much have it narrowed down to two amps, but i am still open to other suggestions.

Traynor YCV50blue
-I have heard GREAT things about this amp including...
-Great OD, i have heard that it is the poor man's marshall
-Good cleans, i have heard that cleans arent as good as the OD is quality wise, which is fine i guess because OD is more important to me than cleans
-I will not be able to try it out before i buy it unless there is some miracle (that is said literally). I am only able to travel to so many stores when i hitch rides to places because of gas prices (i drive an early 90's ford explorer...it sucks).

Peavey Windsor
-I was fortunate enough to be able to try one a few months ago
-This is the Overdrive i have been looking for. Im not kidding, after i played it i was in a good mood for the rest of the week.
-I did manage to get cleans out of it. Nothing to write home about but they were cleans. I just tweaked the preamp vol. just enough so it could make noise and pumped up the master. But i dont know how loud i can get the cleans because i didnt want to be a dick to everyone else in the store. Can anyone WITH EXPERIENCE help me out on this one?
-I hear lots of hate for this amp for some reason...??? This dude got a killer blues tone out of his windsor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUqdutL6yHQ&NR=1 and thats about as clean as i need this amp, but i know not to trust all sounds clips

OK, the thing i am most worried about the traynor is that i will not be able to try it out and the thing that worries me about the windsor is i don't know how loud i can get the cleans, would getting a chorus pedal help or is there some kind of magic clean pedal that i could get? If anyone could help me out that would be great and VERY much appreciated and sorry for the massive wall of text. Thanx
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
The Traynor has sweet cleans and distortion. My brother has one, it's great sounding.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
If you had the cash to get the windsor modified, I would say do that. I've heard some amazing Windsor mods. The one I'm thinking of is FJA amps I think.

But I really liked the Traynor when I liked it.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
The Traynor's the superior amp. Dramatically better cleans, and a much more reliable build quality.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have not tried that model of Traynor (actually when I was to get my amp, it was between the Traynor, AC30 and Rocker 30. But I couldn't try the Traynor. And also I got the Rocker myuch cheaper than the other ones since it was a floor model!), but the YCV40 was very good when I tried it! Sounded very blues-y, think ZZ Top!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ok seems like the traynor seems to get the most votes, is there some kind of 30 day return thing? so if i buy it and end up not liking it could i send it back for a no questions money back garauntee or something? Thanx, im just not sure about it because i wont be able to try it and i cant say i have been too impressed by youtube videos of it (again i know i cant trust all sound clips) but there has been so much hype over them on the forums i just don't know what to think of that amp. Could it get a really good AC/DC tone? think more like the Highway to Hell album and Back in Black album. Thanx again, this really helps a lot.
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
Great AC/DC tone. Keep the gain low - like around 11 o'clock, turn up the treble and mids, and put the prescence at about 11 o'clock, and plug an SG and just bang on those strings. Sounds great.

People on youtube often have terrible EQ-ing skills.

As far as a return policy, I don't know. Depends on where you buy it from, I guess.
Quote by Chuckleberry
so if i buy it and end up not liking it could i send it back for a no questions money back garauntee or something?

I'm pretty sure Musician's Friend has such a return policy.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah they said they have a 45 day return policy starting from the shipping date, so my question is how long does it usually take MF to ship products?

Because i.e. if they ship it today but i dont get it until 40 days later and i return it on the 42nd day and the dont get it until the 50th day they wont return it. I just dont want to get screwed if worst comes to worst and i dont like the amp.
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
Quote by Chuckleberry
Ok, i have been planning on buying a new amp since i bought my last one (vox ad30vt) which is almost a year ago and i am going to go all tube after i get my next paycheck, or the one after that depending on how big the first one is. I am just gonna get some good opinions before i blow my money on an amp that will have to last me for a while. This VERY important to me and im very excited

I am looking for a good british voiced amp. Looking for Angus Young'ish tone but can still fork out some good Pearl Jam. I will like to have some cleans, enough to handle blues. I dont play metal.

I pretty much have it narrowed down to two amps, but i am still open to other suggestions.

Traynor YCV50blue
-I have heard GREAT things about this amp including...
-Great OD, i have heard that it is the poor man's marshall
-Good cleans, i have heard that cleans arent as good as the OD is quality wise, which is fine i guess because OD is more important to me than cleans
-I will not be able to try it out before i buy it unless there is some miracle (that is said literally). I am only able to travel to so many stores when i hitch rides to places because of gas prices (i drive an early 90's ford explorer...it sucks).

OK, the thing i am most worried about the traynor is that i will not be able to try it out and the thing that worries me about the windsor is i don't know how loud i can get the cleans, would getting a chorus pedal help or is there some kind of magic clean pedal that i could get? If anyone could help me out that would be great and VERY much appreciated and sorry for the massive wall of text. Thanx

Ok, i actually own a traynor ycv50, and was in the SAME boat as you with not being able to try it out. I found an awesome deal from a dude on ebay (new amp) that had a return policy, so i figured why not.
Man do i love it, the only thing that i dont like is that the bass isnt very smooth. But sum ugly man told me about setting on styrofoam making the bass sound better. I had no styrofoam, but i just propped it up on a chair, and it made a WORLD of difference. All the clips up on my profile (specifically red beast+blue beast, one big rush, and the actual amp demos) are from the traynor, and i think it sounds quite good even though my computer mic sucks. Traynor also has a VERY nice warranty. 2 years regardless of cause, you just take in proof of purchase and your amp, and it gets fixed.

I'll link you to the dudes ebay store, as i havent found a better deal ANYWHERE. If you have any more questions about it, just PM me. It does ACDC and Pearl Jam GREAT. And if someone told you the cleans arent that nice, they're wrong. I think what they meant is that it wasnt as good as a Fender twin, because my cleans kick ass right now.
http://myworld.ebay.com/proaudiostar/
Have a nice day, sir.

EDIT: MF is like, 150 more expensive than it needs to be.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Jun 26, 2008,
^sweet thanx a bunch for the help and same with everyone else, i really do appreciate it a lot. Well after my next two paychecks i will have enough money to get it so im pretty pumped right now. Well thanx again and take care everyone
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
Quote by Chuckleberry
^sweet thanx a bunch for the help and same with everyone else, i really do appreciate it a lot. Well after my next two paychecks i will have enough money to get it so im pretty pumped right now. Well thanx again and take care everyone

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/traynor/

Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
It's not BAD, just, imo, worse. They use different tubes for the 40's right? The 50 has EL84's and the 40 has 12ax7s?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Er, nah.

The YCV50 has EL34's, and the YCV40 has 6L6's. Both of them use 12AX7's in the preamp.
The 50 just sounds more British, and the YCV40 sounds more American.

You probably just prefer "British" tone.

forsaknazrael: Words of wisdom, always.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by mcrfobtai
traynor ftw. Great od. Good cleans. The YCV40 has better cleans but worse od.

I wouldn't say, "worse," just different. The Blue has that Marshall-like crunch, while the 40 has a more modern, almost Mesa-like gain. I'm sure many users prefer the gain on the 40 for just that reason.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm playing through it as we speak. The amp is intense, amazing cleans, amazing OD. It's British voiced which I love. My ****ty pickups don't do the amp any justice.

The cleans are so lively with single coils, I love them. With humbuckers they don't lose the janglyness completely but it gets to a very warm tone, and without the bright switch engaged you can get a pretty jazzy tone out of it.

The OD, when I'm using my humbuckers, which are **** mind you, I rarely ever need to engage the boost switch, there is a ****load of gain. But often times I do engage the boost switch but I have to turn back the gain a bit cause of the ridiculous amount of gain the amp has. An EQ pedal is strongly suggested cause the amp is often kinda loose. The OD is very british sounding, but it can sound kind of modern with a tube swap(i remember playing one before buying and it had a different feel).

Over all, great amp, better than the windsor, I played one briefly and didn't like it, but then again I didn't spend enough time with it.
whoops, heh, heh. I got my power and preamp confused. yeah, I do like a british crunch. But I find cleans on american amps are more to my taste
Even more embarrising considering that my Pro Junior uses EL84s and 12AX7's
Last edited by mcrfobtai at Jun 26, 2008,