So I'm really starting to get interested in jazz, and jazz guitar. However, I don't really know of any jazz guitarist.

Where's a good place to start? I'm looking for some songs that some on new to jazz, but not guitar could manage without a whole lot of difficulty.

Also I don't I'm not really interested in people playing other instruments, I know it helps your playing to imitate other instruments but I want to start with guitar first.

Thanks UG
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Wes Montgomery. He has been referred to as the beginning and end to electric Jazz guitar (By George Benson, no less.)

Others are:
George Benson
Charlie Christian
Jim Hall
Joe Pass
John Abercrombie
Django Rhinehardt

Jazz can really be translated to any instrument, including a banjo or a kazoo...

So listen to as much jazz as possible to develop an ear for the styles and techniques

Also, a good song to learn that isn't too difficult is Take 5 by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.
Ah thanks

and nice sig, I've been a black keys fan for ages
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
I would start with Charlie Christian, as that's where Jazz guitar really started, then sort of go through chronologically, since the techniques evolved and got trickier as time went on.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by ifeastonbums
Ah thanks

and nice sig, I've been a black keys fan for ages

It's a link to the UG Black Keys Fan Group.

Charlie Christian IS a good place to start, but he wasn't the focus of many of the compositions in which he is featured, while Wes was the centerpiece of his trio.

Charlie Christian was a beast, though. Try to find some Benny Goodman Orchestra pieces that feature him.
Allan Holdsworth (fusion, more so than jazz)
Herbie Hancock

And, though I realize you recommended jazz guitarists, I'm just going to go out there and say Miles Davis and John Coltrane .
^Why would you consider him to be Jazz? Jazz is deeply rooted in the blues, more so than any other genre. That sounds a bit more like neo classical.

If you want a modern guitarist with strong Jazz influences, look at Derek Trucks.

EDIT: I kinda take that back after seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s&feature=related
Quote by imgooley

Charlie Christian IS a good place to start, but he wasn't the focus of many of the compositions in which he is featured, while Wes was the centerpiece of his trio.

Yeah that's part of why I recommend Christian, not only could he play lead but he could sit back and comp really really well, which is an extremely important part of jazz that many guitarists sort of ignore.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Yeah that's part of why I recommend Christian, not only could he play lead but he could sit back and comp really really well, which is an extremely important part of jazz that many guitarists sort of ignore.

Soooooooo true. Freddie Green is supremely underrated in that aspect.