hey i'm comtemplating over getting 100 or 50 watts of a jcm 900
the 100 has a power swtich down to 50, but the 50 has a power switch down to 25 which would actually get some clipping i'm assuming pretty easily?
i know you could gig with tons of headroom with 100 watts, but my real question is how much headroom is 50 watts, and how easy is it to clip 50 watts vs. 25 watts?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by forsaknazrael
50 watts is still a lot of headroom, IMO. I never turn my 40 watt amp past 3 on the dial - past that it gets too loud, and I still have clean cleans (as long as I'm not beating the strings) at this point.

25 watts is going to be somewhat easier, I think, but is still going to be very loud.

yeah truly though i have no problem in having a little power amp saturation and like you said hitting hard getting some bite, but i mean i want the option to have pretty dam cleans at really loud volumes
you know?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Unless you found a really good deal don't bother with 100 watts because you will find that most of the time you have to play louder than you want to in order to make it sound good. Tone changes as you turn up the volume and your amp's clean tones will be better at 4 then they will at 2. If you need more volume and headroom than a 50 watt amp can give then get a PA and mic your amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Unless you found a really good deal don't bother with 100 watts because you will find that most of the time you have to play louder than you want to in order to make it sound good. Tone changes as you turn up the volume and your amp's clean tones will be better at 4 then they will at 2. If you need more volume and headroom than a 50 watt amp can give then get a PA and mic your amp.

yeah i have no interest in getting pa i've heard that 50 watts will be plenty with a drummer, and still have cleans?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Dude, get the 50watt... have you every played a tube amp? are you playing stadiums? if not you dont need 100watts! go for the 50watt!!!!
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Quote by acdclandon
yeah i have no interest in getting pa i've heard that 50 watts will be plenty with a drummer, and still have cleans?

A 30 watt can get over a drummer and still have cleans.

And if you are playing live, the venue will most likely have a PA.

You can always roll the volume down on your guitar to clean up, while still playing loud.
Unless you're playing venues with 15,000+ a 50 watt is more than enough.

I really like the 50 watt JCM 900, especially switched to 25.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Unless you're playing venues with 15,000+ a 50 watt is more than enough.

I really like the 50 watt JCM 900, especially switched to 25.

ah i see okay but for sure i'll be able to get over a drummer with 50 watts without getting that dirty? the thing is i really truly want control over the clipping, a lot of the time i won't want it to clip, thats where the 50 or 100 watts would come in
the 25 watt switch would be nice though, how easy would it be too make that clip over a drummer without drowning him out?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
ah i see okay but for sure i'll be able to get over a drummer with 50 watts without getting that dirty? the thing is i really truly want control over the clipping, a lot of the time i won't want it to clip, thats where the 50 or 100 watts would come in
the 25 watt switch would be nice though, how easy would it be too make that clip over a drummer without drowning him out?

If you want clipping on your cleans at 25 watts, you'd be turning up to about 7 or 8 [not 0'clock] which would sit nicely with drums. It wouldn't drown him, but both he and you could hear the guitar very well.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
If you want clipping on your cleans at 25 watts, you'd be turning up to about 7 or 8 [not 0'clock] which would sit nicely with drums. It wouldn't drown him, but both he and you could hear the guitar very well.

ah i see
what about on the 50 watt setting? wheres the clipping point?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
ah i see
what about on the 50 watt setting? wheres the clipping point?

About the same, 7 to 8

But on the 50 watt that's a bit louder.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
well on the clean channel i have to turn it to 10 to get clipping and its the one hundred watt version, but obviously its not a jcm900, so me telling you this is almost redundant apart from the fact its 100 watts lol

i can easily turn my 100 watt tube to 10, it sounds nice, and loud.

people who say 100 watts is stupid, make me laugh, especially when its some ****ty little 16 year old, with a solid state yard sale amp.
50 watts (tube) gives plenty of clean headroom (My cousin gigged mine at about 8 and it was fine... Note: Outdoor with no micing) Clipping depends on the amp, really. I've seen some start clipping at 6, others I haven't seen clip :S 50 watts is good enough for about anything.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Quote by acdclandon

That depends on how loud your drummer is, how clean you want your tone to be, what guitar you are usings, and what amp you settle on. Modern amps have higher voltages and more headroom than vintage amps so most will be just fine but there are a few reissue amps coming out now days that break up faster and might not have the headroom you need. The easy answer is still to just get a PA but if you are not willing to get a PA then you are going to have to visit music shops and try stuff out. If your drummer is a heavy hitter and you want crystal clear tone then you might need a 100 watt amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Nothing wrong with 100 watts, especially if you can convert to 50/25. Go with whatever your best deal is. As others have said 50 watts is a plenty for most gig's.

Now stop talking about it and go get your amp!!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
50 watts will DEFINITELY be enough clean headroom.

You'll be mic-ed up at most gigs, so 25 watts would even be enough to get some power amp saturation, AND keep your cleans. You'll be mic-ed up, so you probably won't be playing as loud.

ah i see but still, i'd rather just assume that i might not be able to use a pa system, just in case
but yeah from what i've heard like you said 50 watts will be enough for some clean headroom
awesome
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by mcrfobtai
The 50 for sure. More than enough headroom and use the 25 to get some breakup.

thats what i was thinking
sweet this might save me some money
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE