My band is trying to record with all of us playing together. Everything is mic'd separately and fed into an Alesis usb mixer, which goes into the pc. We are using Adobe Audition 3 to record, but when it records it mixes everything together in to one wave track, which makes it difficult to do adjustments. I need to know if there is a way of recording so all the instruments get a separate track, like have bass, and guitar, and kick, and snare all in different tracks so we can make changes. I've seen other people do it on pro tools but never audition, but I just can't figure out how.

Also I really only know the basics of recording, (I tried to google the answer but didn't understand many of the responses) so if you can please try and explain it as simple as possible. Thanks a lot, and if you need more info about anything please ask.
USB mixers always mix to a stereo track because usb cant transfer all that data at one time.

Firewire interfaces will be able to do what you are looking for though. you dont need Protools for home use, you can get by with Sonar easily.

The Presonus FP10 is a popular firewire interface with 8 inputs and althogh its around $400, you will be very happy with it.
Quote by moody07747
USB mixers always mix to a stereo track because usb cant transfer all that data at one time.

Firewire interfaces will be able to do what you are looking for though. you dont need Protools for home use, you can get by with Sonar easily.

The Presonus FP10 is a popular firewire interface with 8 inputs and althogh its around $400, you will be very happy with it.

So would a firewire mixer work or do I need something else. Can you recommend any cheaper one's because if thats the case then I'd be trading in my usb mixer.

Also is there a reason you said to use sonar instead of adobe. I like adobe and cannot spend $700 on another software.
A firewire mixer would do and Im sure Adobe would work but I have not worked with it so I don't know if you can arm more than a few tracks at time and set them to different inputs on the interface.

I however thing the FP10 is better than the Firewire mixers. You mix in the box and get better preamps/ADA converters. You can also EQ in the box and change settings after all the recording is done.

If you have $700 to spend, the url=http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFP10]FP10 is a good choice...
The MOTU 8Pre is also a good choice
If you like Alesis, stick with the company. Their iO series are specifically meant for recording: this 26 which is $360 B stock, can record 8 microphones at once (and DI guitars), and can chain to other iO units if need be.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Right now I was looking at these two, are there any advantages/disadvantages of each that I should know?

Presonus FP10

Alesis Multimix8 Firewire
I might be leaning towards the Alesis because I have the same one but the USB model, and it has worked good so far, also they have a scratch and dent one for $220.

But presonus seems like it is more higher level, and may give better recordings?
The PreSonus is higher quality and has moe XLR inputs for mics as well as phantom on more channels. Its the better choice over the Multimix8

You can probably find a PreSonus FP10 for around $400 these days since the upgraded FireStudio Project came out.

The PreSonus also has MIDI connection which are nice for any type of studio.

MF is currently selling FP10s for cheap...$300 cheap!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FP10-10x10-FireWire-Interface?sku=242036