Page 1 of 2
There seems to be a tendency, at least among current punkers, to overstate the significance of early American hardcore (this is especially true, not surprisingly, among American fans), while ignoring or at least undervaluing the work of Discharge, The Exploited, Amebix et al. This seems especially egregious to me in the case of Discharge, who are in all probability the single most influential band to emerge in the world of extreme music over the last 25 years. Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is not only the finest punk or hardcore release on record, but its innovations are foundational to pretty much all the extreme music that came after it (it's hard to imagine crust, grindcore, speed [thrash] metal, death metal or even black metal as it has come to be understood without this seminal band).

Protest and survive!
Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing the finest punk or hardcore release on record

All you had to say. Old dudes, backed hard.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Love them, realities o' war is extremely tasty. But i do believe they are from England, could be wrong though. At any rate you are right, they are extremely influential and really good.
Discharge and Amebix are both from the UK. Even so, excellent bands!
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

my breakdowns bring all the crews to the pit
and theyre like, "lets dance to this ****!"
damn right, we dance to this ****
I 2 step, windmill and spinkick.
You missed the point I was trying to make: there's a tendency to inflate the significance of American hardcore and devalue the contributions of (ultimately more important) UK acts. The illustrative case was Discharge who, despite being probably the most influential band of the last 25 years (within the broader 'extreme music' arena), get considerably less hype than American acts of lesser importance (and very often - see Black Flag - vastly lesser quality).
Black Flag gets a lot of credit for being influential because they played shows in towns that otherwise would have never been exposed to punk; thus spawning scenes all over America and giving rise to the popularity of hardcore punk. Discharge is very influential, I'll agree, but I don't know if I would go as far as saying "the most influential." The UK-82 thing came to the States when there was already an established hardcore scene in North America. So they would have been influential, along with the other plethora of bands that were around in hardcore's "heyday."
Yeah but so much more metal and other more extreme genres than hardcore would be nothing without Discharge. I'm not a HUGE fan of their music, but I definitely don't mind listening to it, but I can't argue how important it was.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Discharge are the best without a doubt,bumping this thread since some real hardcore should be discussed around here once in a while.Never Again will their be such an unrelenting and powerful band in all of Hardcore.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Infest.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I honestly don't know enough about the history of hardcore and punk to join the 2 year old discussion, but Discharge rules and Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is one of my favorite albums.
Infest is awesome,but got nothing on Discharge. Saxaxe you got the right idea. That album was one of the building blocks of all hardcore and extreme metal.I love the lead work as well,the bends sound like an air raid mmmm.
Quote by Steve08

I still only have Why? Need to get the rest of their shit one of these days...
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Dude, Hear Nothing etc. etc.

Do it now.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Riffmast
Discharge are the best without a doubt,bumping this thread since some real hardcore should be discussed around here once in a while.Never Again will their be such an unrelenting and powerful band in all of Hardcore.

Real hardcore gets discussed here all the time. You should drop by more often.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I enjoy Discharge (namely Hear Nothing, etc.) and appreciate what they did for the hardcore punk scene, but I think they get way more hype than they deserve (namely from ponx suburban teenagers who have tired of their parents and would rather drink beer, smoke cigarettes, and pan-handle). I thought Why was an atrocious album and have never been too fond of their lyrics.
am i the only one that thought of shooting a load when i saw "discharge".....
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by JxD
Yes, that's ****ing stupid.

alright, just making sure. i should probably evaluate my mental status now.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
am i the only one that thought of shooting a load when i saw "discharge".....

lololololololololol

Fuck off.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by JxD
I enjoy Discharge (namely Hear Nothing, etc.) and appreciate what they did for the hardcore punk scene, but I think they get way more hype than they deserve (namely from ponx suburban teenagers who have tired of their parents and would rather drink beer, smoke cigarettes, and pan-handle). I thought Why was an atrocious album and have never been too fond of their lyrics.

Yeah but there is always gunna be those shitty kids in every scene(taking different forms of course depending on the scene).Why is awesome though man,i defs can't relate to what your saying there.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
Yeah but there is always gunna be those shitty kids in every scene(taking different forms of course depending on the scene).Why is awesome though man,i defs can't relate to what your saying there.

True enough.

I just couldn't get into Why. Discharge has a lot of repetition in their songs, and I usually don't mind it, but for some reason, whenever I put on Why, I just can't handle it. I just didn't feel like it measured up to Hear Nothing, so I stuck with that instead.

You're silly.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by JxD
True enough.

I just couldn't get into Why. Discharge has a lot of repetition in their songs, and I usually don't mind it, but for some reason, whenever I put on Why, I just can't handle it. I just didn't feel like it measured up to Hear Nothing, so I stuck with that instead.

It's allot muckier sounding,Hear Nothing is definitely. I love all their early material though.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
Discharge ... are in all probability the single most influential band to emerge in the world of extreme music over the last 25 years. Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is not only the finest punk or hardcore release on record, but its innovations are foundational to pretty much all the extreme music that came after it (it's hard to imagine crust, grindcore, speed [thrash] metal, death metal or even black metal as it has come to be understood without this seminal band).

This is pretty spot on. I'm surprised this band doesn't get discussed more.

I'm bumping this thread as a favor to the Hardcore forum for putting up with the all the crap the Metal forum throws in here.
Quote by NotFromANUS
This is pretty spot on. I'm surprised this band doesn't get discussed more.

I'm bumping this thread as a favor to the Hardcore forum for putting up with the all the crap the Metal forum throws in here.

Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
I can't tell you how important Discharge has been to me. First good band I latched on to, one of the few bands I got into when I first got into punk that I still listen to (along with Amebix, etc.) Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is my favorite hardcore record ever. I even like Why? It's kind of a transition between HNSNSN and their later hair-metal stuff, basically catchy Discharge. Kinda like Celtic Frost's Cold Lake.

Also, never underestimate Black Flag. ****ing phenomenal band, really innovative.
Last edited by Zero Substance at Apr 12, 2011,
Hear nothing see nothing is great. their later stuff is ****ing terrible. Points are lost when singers go all high pitch and squeally like that.
I remember when hear nothing see nothing was new and we were so blown away by it. saw them play at the Santa Monica Civic in early eighties.
always was more a GBH guy though. Much more solid and consistent
Quote by Zero Substance
I even like Why? It's kind of a transition between HNSNSN and their later hair-metal stuff, basically catchy Discharge. Kinda like Celtic Frost's Cold Lake.
1. Why? came out a year before Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing.
2. Its production is much less polished than said album's.
3. There's nothing even remotely hair-metal-y about it.
4. I don't mean to come across so soddingly stuck-up, I really don't.

Also, Discharge's early 80s stuff is brilliant and makes everything else obsolete. EVERYTHING. Yes thrash metal, it's you I'm looking at.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Apr 13, 2011,
Just had a quick listen to a few songs off Why... I just don't hear it. They're a bit less powerful, but I'd say that's just the result of Cal not quite having his shout down yet.

Haven't listened to any of their hair-metal stuff, and I don't plan to. That's just so completely against anything they stood for, it's downright ridiculous even to think of it.

...would you love me?
I think that's a good way of putting it.

...would you love me?
FREE SPEECH FOR THE DUMB

Absolutely love this band
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Hear nothing has got to be my personally greatest hardcore record. Such a great listen.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Really great band, I love HNSNSN, it was the first punk album I ever heard.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
I'm suprised this thread isn't bursting with fellation to be honest. Does no one In this forum like hardcore punk?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Generally not, Discharge should be at the very least respected though. No one ever played with so much urgency before them.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by progbass
I'm suprised this thread isn't bursting with fellation to be honest. Does no one In this forum like hardcore punk?

The only ones who seem to like real hardcore are the metal fans.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Page 1 of 2