Page 1 of 2
are guitars that are stated made in china or made in indonesia done with sweatshop labour? i have an epiphone les paul custom that says manufactured in china and its very important to me that it is done legitimately
so my 'manufactured in china' guitar are done by slaves from 3rd world countries!? so what countries that manufacture guitars are sweatshop-free?
Quote by recklessnick
so my 'manufactured in china' guitar are done by slaves from 3rd world countries!? so what countries that manufacture guitars are sweatshop-free?

Korea, Japan and AMERICA are not sweat shop countries.
sorry but it matters to me. i dont want to be a part of this and i dont want to be the guy that buys and approves of the kid's slave labour
Um, I THINK so. But point being a poor Chinese boy with 8 fingers named Chu made the piece of wood you call a guitar. You should be real ****ing proud of yourself, thanks to you Chu now has 7 fingers!
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Don't worry, chinese guitar manufacture is not done sweatshop style. You have nothing to feel bad about, they are paid reasonable wages and work in an ok environment, its far from slavery.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by elekguit
Um, I THINK so. But point being a poor Chinese boy with 8 fingers named Chu made the piece of wood you call a guitar. You should be real ****ing proud of yourself, thanks to you Chu now has 7 fingers!

You can't make wood.

And I didn't say I bought a sweatshop guitar, I'm just saying, one person isn't going to stop all that shit from going down, because there are poorer people who don't care where it came from, they just want a cheap guitar to play.

And if you are talking about the guitars that come from those weird Asian sites, I don't think many people with half a brain would buy from them anyway.
Quote by soulflyV
You can't make wood.

And I didn't say I bought a sweatshop guitar, I'm just saying, one person isn't going to stop all that shit from going down, because there are poorer people who don't care where it came from, they just want a cheap guitar to play.

And if you are talking about the guitars that come from those weird Asian sites, I don't think many people with half a brain would buy from them anyway.

That bloke who thought he got a nice cheap JEM did LOL
Quote by merfsullivan
Is China a third-world country?

Sort of, but not really, their status is kind of weird because a lot of places in China are like a third world country but all of the big cities are really modernized and fairly wealthy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by recklessnick
sorry but it matters to me. i dont want to be a part of this and i dont want to be the guy that buys and approves of the kid's slave labour

If you dont buy the guitar, some poor chinese kid will lose his job!!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Sort of, but not really, their status is kind of weird because a lot of places in China are like a third world country but all of the big cities are really modernized and fairly wealthy.

Yep, 3rd world, they only control most of the world's economy

Their economy grows at about 11% per annum compared to the USA's which only grows about 4% a year. China's economy is set to keep rising.
Quote by XianXiuHong

Their economy grows at about 11% per annum compared to the USA's which only grows about 4% a year. China's economy is set to keep rising.

That's what I'm talking about, but there are huge chunks of China that might as well be a third world country.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That's what I'm talking about, but there are huge chunks of China that might as well be a third world country.

This is correct.
Made from sweatshops?

I was wondering why my three-way switch had a fingernail...
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
I only buy guitars made in sweat shops. It makes them all the more BRUTAL.
Quote by soulflyV
You can't make wood.

But Chu can

Honestly, I doubt that the guitars would be made in a sweatshop. They'd just get paid mediocre wages.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
Quote by elekguit

+1
Quote by SHAUNYSHAUN1234
If you dont buy the guitar, some poor chinese kid will lose his job!!

if you buy it, the sweatshop owners will know that his customers think its okay to continue what he's doing giving unfair, cheap wages.
Quote by merfsullivan
Is China a third-world country?

China is second world, dirty bastards are industrializing and killing the turtles. Think of the turtles people!!!
Epiphone own their own factory in China now - there's information about it around if you search. It looks like decent conditions to me.
China is an NIC (newly industrialising country). Put them between MEDCs (more economically developed countries) like america and the UK, and LEDCs.

And not all sweat shop labour is bad. Im not saying its all good - but its not all bad, and almost every time, its better off than either being unemployed or working on a farm.

edit: SMB says epiphone have a factory there - this means its most likely good conditions like he says. The bad condition sweat shops you hear about are not 'officially' owned by major companies, but owned by random chinese companies which are contracted out by the major companies (and so by doing this, the major companies claim its not their problem)

edit edit:

Quote by elekguit

On the other hand, chu managed not to starve to death because of the work. Heck, he might even beable to afford to go to school once a week because of it.
Last edited by StonaLemons at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by recklessnick
are guitars that are stated made in china or made in indonesia done with sweatshop labour? i have an epiphone les paul custom that says manufactured in china and its very important to me that it is done legitimately

The tone you enjoyed is due less to the wood and components used, and more to the sweat and tears of the children, who have had less love and presents in their lives than a red-headed stepchild.
Conclusion - owning that guitar makes you a child-molester-by-proxy.
I don't really care. Every nation making the leap to industrialisation is going to exploit its workforce.

modern day sweatshops are a breeze compared to 17th century cotton mill conditions
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
dude, its a guitar, guitar is for playing...not worrying about if its "made by chinese" who cares?
think of it this way, chinese kids and adult work in "sweatshops" they make more money and are better of working that if they didnt...
Quote by XianXiuHong

That doesn't matter, the standard of living is still very low and therefore China is a thirdworld country.
Make your own guitar

With the help of seven under-privileged chinese kids
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by recklessnick

I think you need to change your name from "RecklessNick" to "PoliticallyCorrectNick".
Quote by Bertallica
I think you need to change your name from "RecklessNick" to "PoliticallyCorrectNick".

Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I am grateful that you are concerned about this. Whenever I raise this issue among fellow musicians, I am baffled by how many misunderstand my concerns as being about the quality of the guitar, and not about the quality of life of the people who manufactured it.

Search for YouTube videos of Korean musicians protesting and holding concerts to draw attention to the awful conditions at the Cort manufacturing plant. Cort had moved their manufacturing to Korea and the other majors followed suit to stay competitive, but when Korean musicians learned how people were treated at those plants, they raised hell. Now if you know anything about Korea, you might imagine that things have to be really bad before Koreans start complaining about harsh working conditions.

Shortly after the Korean music community got wise, all the major guitar manufacturers moved to China and Indonesia, both countries with dismal human rights records and specifically damning reputations for inhuman sweatshop labor. Apologists want to insist that it isn't happening, and that the majors are really doing the people of the third world a favor by teaching them how to glue frets into a piece of wood that's pre-cut by a machine.

Walk into any mainstream guitar store with this knowledge and you quickly see that those vast walls of gorgeous instruments really only offer you two choices: sweatshop guitars at too-good-to-be-true prices, and domestically-made guitars at prices that most of us could only dream of affording. The middle ground simply isn't there.

I live in a country that went through hell to end slavery, and went through hell again to establish fair and safe working conditions. People died for those achievements, and now companies are competing to undo them.

We could go back-and-forth all day and night about what's really going on, but the fact that the Koreans kicked the manufacturers out, sending them crawling to the slimiest pits on Earth, where workers have no voice and no choice, to stay competitive in the race to the bottom, tells all we really need to know. That beautiful instrument at that unbelievable price IS too good to be true: it's the Devil's bargain you are being offered; it's Satan tempting you with shiny things to look the other way while people just like you suffer by accident of birthplace, and hardworking manufacturers in the "first world" shut their doors permanently or struggle to stay in business. Everybody gets screwed in this deal.

To those who argue I can't make a difference, my reply is, NOT MY MUSIC! It is a personal choice, and since the question was asked, I'm answering. I cannot feel free to play my instrument with a soiled conscience. People were shot dead in the streets just so I could have some guarantee of safe working conditions and a minimum wage, and I am not prepared to piss on their sacrifice just so I can have a dream guitar. My used, made-in-USA axe works just fine. Until I can afford a Tom Anderson, or until the manufacturers can guarantee their products are truly sweatshop-free, I will continue to buy used instruments.

I applaud your position and encourage you to stay true to your convictions. Keep rockin sweatshop-free and ROCK ON!!! lml,
Quote by recklessnick

yes. Now go buy yourself a rickenbacker or something.
Page 1 of 2